Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
If using a Star Wars analogy….. we could say that both Jony Ive and Forstall were both very close to Steve Jobs, they were both (design) Padawans of Jedi Master Steve.

Problem is…. who is the true successor to the Master? Who is really the better Padawan?

You can't have both of them at Apple. Their design aesthetics and design philosophies completely clash. That's exactly why we saw Forstall get kicked out. Cook chose a favorite, and he chose Jony.

I still am torn about this. Ive was great in industrial and hardware design. I actually love the design of my iMac and many other hardware designs that Ive was part of. The flattened design of recent iOS? Not so much.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Put TC back in accounting and put Forstall in charge for a while. It could make things a lot better and certainly wouldn't make them any worse.

Ya know the people that couldn't stand working with Forstall? They're the corporate bureaucrat douchebag types that love endless committee meetings and protocol and lunch -- and they're destroying Apple from within they way middle management douchebags and their haughty attitudes and endless meetings always do. Put Forestall in and let the firings begin!!!!!

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
At this time it doesn't matter if Forstall is brought back or not.

What matters is Apple must bring back stability and polish in iOS

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Put TC back in accounting and put Forstall in charge for a while. It could make things a lot better and certainly wouldn't make them any worse.

I think Forstall was fired to prevent that from happening. Our loss.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Yeah that's the thing about their kind. They're usually pretty far up the sociopath spectrum and they'll take down a company to protect their butts.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
That was mandated by Steve Jobs not Forstall.

Steve even wanted an exact replica of the leather in his private jet.

Forstall was fantastic at his job.

Steve had a private jet? lol. I love how he went from living on a commune to flying in a private jet.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Forstall running the show?!? Yeah right, look at the mess he made with maps.....why have you all forgotten that. He got sacked for screwing up - he also did not keep high enough standards.

If cook went or when he does Ive should take over. He like Jobs gets the intersect between technology and art, forstall does not have a clue about the design element which is what makes Apple apple.

Forstall, a programmer? Seriously? Why not bring in Bill gates or the other one that just retired from windows. Programmers running it.....if you want windows buy windows - simple.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Forstall running the show?!? Yeah right, look at the mess he made with maps.....why have you all forgotten that. He got sacked for screwing up - he also did not keep high enough standards.

If cook went or when he does Ive should take over. He like Jobs gets the intersect between technology and art, forstall does not have a clue about the design element which is what makes Apple apple.

Forstall, a programmer? Seriously? Why not bring in Bill gates or the other one that just retired from windows. Programmers running it.....if you want windows buy windows - simple.

My understanding was that Forstall was not directly responsible for Maps, the reason he paid the price in the end and used as a scapegoat was because he would not apologise to customers for the inconvenience it caused - as part of Apple senior management. Had he not been so determined that it wasn't his department that caused it so did not think he should apologise he most likely would still be working at Apple.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The Forstall that didn't give us Control centre, air-drop, extension, third-party keyboards? :roll eyes: No thank you. Don't forget the green pelt people :D

Although to be fair, some of those features might have come eventually if he had continued, but the fact is he had 6 years to do so but didn't.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
My understanding was that Forstall was not directly responsible for Maps, the reason he paid the price in the end and used as a scapegoat was because he would not apologise to customers for the inconvenience it caused - as part of Apple senior management. Had he not been so determined that it wasn't his department that caused it so did not think he should apologise he most likely would still be working at Apple.
He ran ios did he not? the head of the department takes responsibility- that's life in management. It should have been tested far more, granted there was exaggeration of the issues but there was little mechanisms for improvement - for instance the correction I made on maps for the location of the Scottish baptist college STILL has not been changed.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
He ran ios did he not? the head of the department takes responsibility- that's life in management. It should have been tested far more, granted there was exaggeration of the issues but there was little mechanisms for improvement - for instance the correction I made on maps for the location of the Scottish baptist college STILL has not been changed.

He was the vice president of iOS, yes. He was not the head of the team that was responsible for Maps. For the Maps app running on iOS he should have made sure it was fit for purpose, but the actual quality of the maps at the end of the day is not what he was doing. Technically the app worked correctly on the system and the issues stemmed from the quality of what was within that app. That is not a task, im sure that he would be overseeing.

You are spot on, same as I said earlier - he was a senior manager and should have apologised along with the rest and he would have been embarrassed no doubt but probably still in a job at Apple.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
what is he even doing these days beside enjoying his $?

Apparently he's modelling - unofficially :D

http://gizmodo.com/ousted-apple-exec-scott-forstall-finds-new-career-as-ci-1502010362

Other than that, as far as I have read no one really has heard much from him since he left Apple. Consulted for a few startups but nothing ground breaking.
I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He was encouraged and nurtured by Steve Jobs and it appears that he was a pretty smart guy, but when Steve passed, what must be some social problems got too much in the way and they took the 1st opportunity to show him the door. I have always wondered what Ive and him had beef over that caused such bad encounters.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Scott Forstall

Maps functionality is OK. Map data is not ok. Which is part of web services. Eddy part?

Apple web services is very shameful in terms of reliability and features.

Thus it should be Eddy that gets fired.

If ios8 is really killing apple too.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
While we're on the subject, can you imagine what an iPhone4 would be like on 5.1 firmware with an A8 chip along with all the other upgrades of the iP6+?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
That was mandated by Steve Jobs not Forstall.

Steve even wanted an exact replica of the leather in his private jet.

Forstall was fantastic at his job.
If he really had been fantastic, he would have been able to convince Steve Jobs that the faux leather had been an extremely dumb idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.