Scott Forstall

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BillyMatt87, Oct 14, 2014.

1. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

2. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Like William Shatner needs to return to Star Trek.

3. BillyMatt87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

He might actually if you've been following the development of the third Star Trek film in the new rebooted series.

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

If using a Star Wars analogy….. we could say that both Jony Ive and Forstall were both very close to Steve Jobs, they were both (design) Padawans of Jedi Master Steve.

Problem is…. who is the true successor to the Master? Who is really the better Padawan?

You can't have both of them at Apple. Their design aesthetics and design philosophies completely clash. That's exactly why we saw Forstall get kicked out. Cook chose a favorite, and he chose Jony.

I still am torn about this. Ive was great in industrial and hardware design. I actually love the design of my iMac and many other hardware designs that Ive was part of. The flattened design of recent iOS? Not so much.

6. X-X macrumors 6502

That was mandated by Steve Jobs not Forstall.

Steve even wanted an exact replica of the leather in his private jet.

Forstall was fantastic at his job.

7. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Put TC back in accounting and put Forstall in charge for a while. It could make things a lot better and certainly wouldn't make them any worse.

Ya know the people that couldn't stand working with Forstall? They're the corporate bureaucrat douchebag types that love endless committee meetings and protocol and lunch -- and they're destroying Apple from within they way middle management douchebags and their haughty attitudes and endless meetings always do. Put Forestall in and let the firings begin!!!!!

8. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

At this time it doesn't matter if Forstall is brought back or not.

What matters is Apple must bring back stability and polish in iOS

9. SusanK macrumors 68000

I think Forstall was fired to prevent that from happening. Our loss.

10. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Yeah that's the thing about their kind. They're usually pretty far up the sociopath spectrum and they'll take down a company to protect their butts.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Steve had a private jet? lol. I love how he went from living on a commune to flying in a private jet.

12. Wbutchart macrumors regular

Forstall running the show?!? Yeah right, look at the mess he made with maps.....why have you all forgotten that. He got sacked for screwing up - he also did not keep high enough standards.

If cook went or when he does Ive should take over. He like Jobs gets the intersect between technology and art, forstall does not have a clue about the design element which is what makes Apple apple.

Forstall, a programmer? Seriously? Why not bring in Bill gates or the other one that just retired from windows. Programmers running it.....if you want windows buy windows - simple.

13. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

My understanding was that Forstall was not directly responsible for Maps, the reason he paid the price in the end and used as a scapegoat was because he would not apologise to customers for the inconvenience it caused - as part of Apple senior management. Had he not been so determined that it wasn't his department that caused it so did not think he should apologise he most likely would still be working at Apple.

14. fortheus macrumors regular

The one that should get fired is Eddy Cue. All Apple web services are crap!

15. sethlution macrumors regular

The Forstall that didn't give us Control centre, air-drop, extension, third-party keyboards? :roll eyes: No thank you. Don't forget the green pelt people :D

Although to be fair, some of those features might have come eventually if he had continued, but the fact is he had 6 years to do so but didn't.

16. Wbutchart macrumors regular

He ran ios did he not? the head of the department takes responsibility- that's life in management. It should have been tested far more, granted there was exaggeration of the issues but there was little mechanisms for improvement - for instance the correction I made on maps for the location of the Scottish baptist college STILL has not been changed.

17. oaran44 macrumors member

18. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

He was the vice president of iOS, yes. He was not the head of the team that was responsible for Maps. For the Maps app running on iOS he should have made sure it was fit for purpose, but the actual quality of the maps at the end of the day is not what he was doing. Technically the app worked correctly on the system and the issues stemmed from the quality of what was within that app. That is not a task, im sure that he would be overseeing.

You are spot on, same as I said earlier - he was a senior manager and should have apologised along with the rest and he would have been embarrassed no doubt but probably still in a job at Apple.

19. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

what is he even doing these days beside enjoying his $?

20. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

Apparently he's modelling - unofficially :D

http://gizmodo.com/ousted-apple-exec-scott-forstall-finds-new-career-as-ci-1502010362

Other than that, as far as I have read no one really has heard much from him since he left Apple. Consulted for a few startups but nothing ground breaking.
    I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He was encouraged and nurtured by Steve Jobs and it appears that he was a pretty smart guy, but when Steve passed, what must be some social problems got too much in the way and they took the 1st opportunity to show him the door. I have always wondered what Ive and him had beef over that caused such bad encounters.

21. fortheus macrumors regular

Scott Forstall

Maps functionality is OK. Map data is not ok. Which is part of web services. Eddy part?

Apple web services is very shameful in terms of reliability and features.

Thus it should be Eddy that gets fired.

If ios8 is really killing apple too.

22. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Amen...!

23. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

While we're on the subject, can you imagine what an iPhone4 would be like on 5.1 firmware with an A8 chip along with all the other upgrades of the iP6+?

24. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

If he really had been fantastic, he would have been able to convince Steve Jobs that the faux leather had been an extremely dumb idea.