Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rosepod5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
UK
IMG_6960.JPG
‪Absolutely gutted to take my Apple Watch series 1 off the charger this morning and find the screen has popped off! No damage, no scratches, never been dropped and I only wear it at weekends/workouts so it is immaculate. AppleSupport informed me that due to being out of warranty I needed to pay a £206 service charge... considering a new series 1 watch cost £269 it's safe to say I was not willing to proceed with that . Disgusted that the screen on my watch can just pop off.
Question is where do I go from here as the screen will not push back into position and stay there.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
View attachment 694582 ‪Absolutely gutted to take my Apple Watch series 1 off the charger this morning and find the screen has popped off! No damage....

• Series 1 can't be out of warranty unless you only get 90 days in the UK or it is a Series 0
  • Saying screen popped off and no damage is an oxymoron

If an S0 then there is not much you can do besides gluing back on and avoiding moisture as much as possible.

Reactions: uknation87

Rosepod5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
UK
  • Series 1 can't be out of warranty unless you only get 90 days in the UK or it is a Series 0
  • Saying screen popped off and no damage is an oxymoron
If an S0 then there is not much you can do besides gluing back on and avoiding moisture as much as possible.

I've had the series 1 over a year now so no longer under warranty.
I stated no scratches etc because the screen popping off has not been a result of malicious damage. I could understand if I dropped it but it has literally been treated with complete care.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
This seems to be getting common.

I'm curious if this might be a battery swelling on this one since you state it happened while charging.

I won't pretend to know much about the Apple Watch, except I'm glad I haven't risked my money yet. Hope they get these issues sorted out.

Rosepod5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
UK

I'm curious if this might be a battery swelling on this one since you state it happened while charging.

I won't pretend to know much about the Apple Watch, except I'm glad I haven't risked my money yet. Hope they get these issues sorted out.

That was exactly my thought that something was expanding/shrinking when it was charging.
I attempted to push it back into place but it just pops straight out again.
I've read a couple other people with the same issue also but luckily theirs was still under warranty
Looks like I may have to result in attempting to glue it back as I cannot justify paying £206 service fee for a watch that costs £269 brand new.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I've had the series 1 over a year now so no longer under warranty...
Apple just introduced the Series 1. You have the original :apple:Watch aka Series 0.

Your best bet might be to buy a used Series 0. They are selling for a 'song' now.

Rosepod5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
UK
Apple just introduced the Series 1. You have the original :apple:Watch aka Series 0.

Your best bet might be to buy a used Series 0. They are selling for a 'song' now.
Must be different in the UK then as we started with the Series 1 and the newest version is Series 2
IMG_6962.jpg

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
That was exactly my thought that something was expanding/shrinking when it was charging.
I attempted to push it back into place but it just pops straight out again.
I've read a couple other people with the same issue also but luckily theirs was still under warranty
Looks like I may have to result in attempting to glue it back as I cannot justify paying £206 service fee for a watch that costs £269 brand new.

I wonder if the shops that do aftermarket iPhone screen repairs might be of cheaper help compared to Apple.

If you're going to be stuck gluing it, perhaps they'd do better??? I don't know.

I'd still be curious if that battery is swelling though.

My iPhone 5 had the battery swell and pop the screen off. Naturally, Apple insisted mine was unrelated to the recall of the same problem. So I paid $100 to have a new battery installed at an independent authorized service center.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Must be different in the UK then as we started with the Series 1 and the newest version is Series 2 View attachment 694583
Incorrect, the Series 1 you are referring to is a NEW model (released at the same time as the S2) with different specs than the S0. If you read it even says 'Dual core processor'. The Series 0 (your :apple:Watch) has a single core processor.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Where did you buy it from?

Your best bet now is to go back to the retailer, using the consumer rights act, stating that you'd expect a high priced item like this to not fail within that short space of time (that's a swollen battery).

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Must be different in the UK then as we started with the Series 1 and the newest version is Series 2 View attachment 694583
You really should be listening to Julien. Both Series 1 and Series 2 were announced at an Apple event on Sept 7, 2016.
It's not possible for a Series 1 watch to be out of warranty.

49 minutes into the event they tell us about Series 1
http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2016/

You couldn't even pre-order it until Sept 9th. You have at least another 5 months before anyone with a Series 1 or 2 can be out of their one year warranty.

You have the original Apple Watch, which we've all been calling Series 0.

Reactions: Ntombi and Peter K.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I know others were reporting issues with the adhesive separating from the casing, possibly From moisture or higher temperatures causing it to loosen the display.

Even though these issues do happen, it's highly unlikely this would be a regular occurrence. We are on a forum where members report hardware/technical issues, so perhaps it can seem as if it's a frequent problem, considering the millions of these Watches mass produced. But I have only read maybe three/four threads based on the display separating.

Reactions: FrisbeeK9

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006

No  watch? Why do you reply to an  watch thread? "Risked your money"? Sheesh....

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
No  watch? Why do you reply to an  watch thread? "Risked your money"? Sheesh....

Some of us may be interested in a product, but choose to wait until a point that it is refined and / or has gained the capabilities we are looking for.

Apple has a history of early designs developing problems. I have been through numerous such version 1 and 2 designs, and have learned to wait and see.

For example (and certainly not my only such experience), after numerous bad iMacs, I eventually decided to stop trying every revision, and waited until a machine revision survived a year without reported problem. At that time, the least problematic machine proved to be the 2006 Mac Pro. Which I waited to purchase until it was being discontinued. I wanted proven and trouble free. And it's paid off very well for me.

I now observe, read, and wait before buying any new Apple product to make sure it's durable enough for my use.

As such, I do participate in threads whether it meets with your approval or not.

One day I may decide the Apple Watch is ready. At this point, it's doing ok. But it's still got a long way to go before it's ready for me.

Until then, I will participate as I see fit. Observe, exchange ideas and thoughts. And, I won't be seeking your approval, as it isn't of importance to me.

As for the original poster, my thoughts are as valid as anyone else's. I would recommend verifying that the battery hasn't swelled up. And then either obtain a repair estimate from somebody cheaper than Apple, or proceed with self repair. But if it were me, I'd want to make sure the battery isn't a potential problem.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
If you don't have any success with getting the money back from the retailer, why not try repairing the watch yourself, maybe even replacing the battery while you are at it. There are some Youtube videos giving instructions on how to do this:

Reactions: Rosepod5

Dubba

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Nairobi, Kenya
The same EXACT thing happened to my :apple: Watch Series 2 Nike (Volt/Black), which I ordered minute after it was available online.

This happened a one month after I got the watch. I only use it for running and yoga, and one day when I went to put it on, the screen had popped off.

Given that where I live (Nairobi, Kenya) does not have an :apple: Store, I made an appointment and took it with me to the :apple: Store in Covent Garden (London). The watch was assessed, and given that there was no cosmetic damage (spider-abed screen cracking, or scratches) the technician agreed that it was a manufacturing defect.

It was sent off to their service centre, and I received an email a few days later (after I had left the UK) about needing to pay £269 for this! I was shocked and called :apple: Customer Services in the US (where I purchased the watch) and explained the situation to them; they agreed to repair it for free. What I received, instead, was a refurbished Nike watch (this I knew because it had a few nicks / scratches on the case); the screen was also not very responsive. I called the Customer Service Rep back, and told him that I was traveling to the US and would like it looked at again.

On arrival to the :apple: Store in Union Square, San Francisco, I told them about my problem and they swapped it out in-store.

This is the customer experience that I have been used to with apple for over 17 years - and why I continue to buy their products.

Rosepod5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
UK
Ok so thanks for clearing up that my watch is one of the 1st generations, still out of warranty and still has the screen hanging off.
In case any of you were interested I had a good look at it internally and found the battery was bulging... how I did not see this before I do not know.
The expanded battery is preventing the screen from sitting back in position.
I have ordered a new battery to replace myself.
At least the hardest part of removing the screen has already been done for me!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ok so thanks for clearing up that my watch is one of the 1st generations, still out of warranty and still has the screen hanging off.
In case any of you were interested I had a good look at it internally and found the battery was bulging... how I did not see this before I do not know.

That makes sense why the display popped off with the battery bulging. Good luck with the repair and let us know how it goes.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

It's good that you investigated the battery. You don't want that thing causing trouble.

It is concerning that it would be bulging already. But it did seem like the most likely culprit.

There's a chance that Apple may acknowledge (or be forced to acknowledge) that as a problem at some point if enough have that happen.

In prior situations, Apple eventually acknowledged manufacturing defects. And those who had spent their own money could be reimbursed if they had their receipts. So keep your receipt.

If you wanted extra documentation to back it up, you could let your local Apple Store see it and verify that the battery is bulging. Even if they don't repair it, you'll have the paperwork for a possible future reimbursement.

Either way, sounds like a simple fix. And probably all you'll need to figure out is how to reseal it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
View attachment 694582 ‪Absolutely gutted to take my Apple Watch series 1 off the charger this morning and find the screen has popped off! No damage, no scratches, never been dropped and I only wear it at weekends/workouts so it is immaculate. AppleSupport informed me that due to being out of warranty I needed to pay a £206 service charge... considering a new series 1 watch cost £269 it's safe to say I was not willing to proceed with that . Disgusted that the screen on my watch can just pop off.
Question is where do I go from here as the screen will not push back into position and stay there.
You've stated that Apple quoted you a charge, but this is obviously a manufacturing defect. Apple has been known to replace out of warranty phones and the like that have suffered from swollen batteries. Have you actually tried taking it into an Apple Retail Store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.