Screw you Apple and Tim Cook! So much for customer satisfaction...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Things are changing at Apple and it truly sucks. I've been an Apple customer since the first iPhone...have two iPhones in the house, an Apple TV, two iPad 3s and two Mac computers.

One reason I've been so loyal is because Apple has always taken care of me when I had a problem. I knew that if something didn't work, I could walk in and they would help me out. Well, it looks like those days are gone.

My iPad 3 has wifi connection problems. The signal fluctuates between full strength to weak to completely dropping out (wifi logo disappears) and then it comes back by itself. My iPhone is fine, my wife's iPad 3 is fine...my old iPad 2 was fine on the same network.

Made an appointment today at the Apple Store and because they could not replicate the problem in store, there is nothing they could do, as they worded it. I expressed how disappointed I was and how in the past, they would swap it out to make the customer happy to which they said that their policy has changed and they can no longer do that. Such BS...wasted over an hour driving there and back, 50 miles roundtrip, wasted gas and no help.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, since the new iPad has the AppleCare+ option, I think this policy applies to it also:
    AppleCare+ to End Informal Free Replacement Policy

If you can demonstrate a problem to them that's covered by the warranty, they'll replace it. But their ability to do frequent "good will" swaps to keep a customer happy appears to be gone (or severely reduced).

3. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Not saying anything about your wifi issue, but I always thought of Apple as being too generous when it comes to support, particularly for what I consider minor issues. Wifi not working as expected, compared to your other devices seems like a legitimate issue. Maybe try contacting phone support. Don't give up.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

On the other hand, maybe it was karma for your experience back in December (below). LOL

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I recently took a 5-hour train ride with WiFi onboard. Kept losing signal on my iPad, far more than with my MBA and iPhone.

Made an appointment at the Genius Bar, they took it in back, came out 5 minutes later and said they were replacing it.

My suggestion? Put your iPad next to your wife's, then shoot a video with your iPhone of yours losing signal while hers maintains it.

And if they still won't replace it, mention a little place you've heard of called Youtube, where apparently people can post their home videos. ;)

6. Bheleu, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

Bheleu macrumors 6502

Sounds like a flaky router or flaky connection, how many devices you using on it? Is it an N capable router? Are you on A, B, G or N? Are you at the end of the ip addresses? Do you carry your iPad with you and bring it in the front door where other devices are already on your network? Do you have a lot of apps running in the background eating up your bandwidth? Do you have a modem to router, double Nat, etc? If there was no issue at the :apple: store, it could be just your home setup. You might have wasted a trip there but they checked your iPad out and it was not it. Do not be mad at them, they cannot control your network. If anything, they helped you isolate the problem away from your iPad. It's time to look inward. Maybe your social network could use some more geek, do not blame the iPad for this flakiness.

P.S. I counted 7 wireless network devices, is anyone else on your network? Try powering everything off, clear your running apps, reboot your iPad, restart your modem and router, etc. see if the problem goes away. Turn the items on one by one, etc. till you see what is conflicting with your iPad. Also try changing your wireless to a different freq channel. Maybe it was fine on one channel at the Apple store which you are not using at home. As a geek, the problem may not be the iPad.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Why not just try going in again? I know it's frustrating to have a problem, but can you really blame them for dismissing it if it can't be replicated? People would really take advantage of their support policies if they decided that every unit should be replaced despite an inability to replicate an issue.

8. eq2675 macrumors regular

9. seadragon Contributor

The wifi performance is a problem. There's a huge thread at Apple Discussions on it. Apple is apparently investigating. I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned much here.

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The moral of the story is to delete previous posts where you brag about ripping off Apple before you post a thread about their poor customer service. You got what you deserved.

----------

Well done!

11. MLB1949 macrumors newbie

All the money Apple has, all the cash-on-hand, and corporate policy has changed? To the detriment of loyal Apple customers?!?

VERY disturbing.

I go back to 1984, when I purchased my first Mac (the 512k ... for four grand; I had to finance it thru Apple Credit!).

We Apple Guys back then were seen as members of some sort of mysterious "cult" -- yet the last time I visited an Apple retail store I was likewise disappointed in attitude and service.

Unfortunately, I think Apple has gotten too rich, too big, too successful; satisfied customers -- and I'm talking LOYAL customers -- no longer seem to be a priority to the corporation: if it loses me as a customer, why, two more will walk right in the door. Ironically, this poor attitude by the corporation is that which we ascribed to our main nemesis in the early '80s: I.B.M.

Perhaps things would be different if Steve were still around ... and healthy.

Maybe not.

I do know, however, that back around 1998 I had a Mac at home (I forget which model; I've owned dozens) that just 'quit', right after my large detached screen blew. So now: No screen, no computer. (I have ALWAYS purchased AppleCare, by the way.)

I was truly in shock...I had never had a hardware failure before -- never.

Despondent, I decided to write Steve Jobs, personally, in Cupertino (explaining my years with Mac, and now what had happened -- and why I was forced to use a pen and paper!)

I mailed the letter.

Four days later, his "right-hand guy" (his office being adjacent to Steve's) called me, confirmed the details, and promised me a brand-new machine, a brand-new screen, and some free hardware peripherals (for my trouble).

Everything arrived FED-EX the following morning. My only obligation was -- "when I had the time" -- to bring the dead equipment to a Comp-USA store, one that handled Macs, in a northern suburb (Apple Retail Stores were not yet in existence in Chicago).

True story...

Now THAT is customer-service!

And THAT is history...

Things seem "different" now.

Please understand: I'm 62, and I will go to my grave as a charter-member "Mac Guy."

Still the greatest personal computer -- period!

(Although I sold two iPhones and now have the latest Samsung Galaxy Nexus ... waiting to see what iPhone 5 brings to the table.)

However, to my way of seeing it, customer-service, customer-satisfaction ... not nearly as important to Apple now as it was in the past.

Has anyone checked Apple stock's price-per-share lately? Given the company's tremendous success, satisfied customers should be a priority.

But... that's just my opinion

12. Knoxville3G macrumors member

OWNED! The Apple laughs at you :apple:

13. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

They asked all the same questions you are asking and said all the same stuff. It's not the network, it can't be.

The modem is pretty new, it's one of the latest Linksys units. I had it up and running when I had the iPad 2 and that never had any network issues. My iPhone never has an issue and neither does my wife's iPad or her iPhone. If it was the network, why would just my iPad have this problem? I've tried doing a fresh restore (not from backup), I've tried resetting the network settings...no luck. If it's near the router and the signal is super strong, then it seems fine...and that's why it was fine at the Apple store...but if I go in the backyard or in one of the farther rooms in the house, the signal drops to 1 or 2 bars or it loses it completely and then comes back on it's own, while the other devices in the house works fine.

As was posted by someone else, others have reported the same thing and apparently Apple is aware of it. I mentioned that to the manager at Apple and he said it was a rumor as they had not heard anything come down from Apple.

14. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

15. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly. Thank you. I was about to reply something similar.

Yes, I took an iPhone in before that was water damages and Apple replaced it for free. That is what set them apart, that they would replace things without really asking questions, and that's what kept me and I'm sure others loyal. I've had every iPhone that has ever come out as has my wife. I have a 27" iMac and she has a Power Mac with a 30" Apple display. We've both had every iPad that's come out. We have an Apple TV. We have given them plenty of money and would continue to keep doing so if we know we will be taken care of.

I'm not damaging their products on purpose or trying to scam them in some way. It was nice to know that in the past if something happened, even something like water damage or a cracked screen (and I've had an iPhone replaced free in the past for a cracked screen), I didn't have to worry about it. That's why I kept coming back to them. They obviously make a lot of money, record quarters every time around all while they have been able to be generous with their customers which led to their success. Now it seems like they are getting greedy and I don't think it will be a good thing for them.

16. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

All my wifi problems I had were fixed by throwing out my linksys and buying an airport extreme base station.
    OP, you have so many apple devices, why not connect them all to a router that's made to work with their apple products? I've always thought linksys routers were cheaply made and if they didn't get reset every so often they get buggy or have connection problems.

17. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

You know, I tried asked that. I'm willing to take my wife's iPad, my iPhone and my iPad and put them all next to each other and use her iPhone to fill all three devices so they can see what happens. They said no, that unless they can replicate it, there is nothing they can do.

18. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

So because they have replaced for free in the past you feel ENTITLED to a free replacement this time?

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Attitude is everything. You treat people like ****, up you got **** on. Live and learn

20. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Simply put, yes. I feel like that is a premium they offered to go along with the high price of their products. You paid a certain price to receive a certain service. It's like owning a premium car brand, you expect a certain level of service. I felt the same about Apple.

21. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue.

22. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Gotta go ahead and call karma on this one as well

23. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Call customer service and be persistent, patient and polite.. Regardless of past offenses (BTW I dont agree with the way you handled the wet iphone), you paid for an iPad with a good wireless antenna. This is a known issue with new iPad which Apple has acknowledged. Don't give up until someone at Apple helps you. You probably just got a dud at the Genius bar. It happens. Most are very nice but there are a few that aren't.

24. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Most of you guys are insane. You'd rather live with a faulty device because it's an apple product? Totally insane and I do agree with the guy that said some retarded people are smarter than you guys. The high price that is paid for the apple product has warranty factored into the cost and I'll be damn if I will not use it on a defective product.
    The logic that a BMW with a radio problem equals a replacement with a new BMW is far off base. A radio can be replaced whereas the built in wireless in the ipad cannot without having to tear it apart which would be much easier to do an exchange.
    Some of you people really need to lay off the apple koolaid and face the fact that not all their devices have sprinkle of unicorn blood and fairy dust. There is a certain percentage of faulty product that make it through the QA/QC process and apple is not immune.

25. RedCroissant Suspended

Interfreak is right

Of course there must be some expectations that go along with buying something so expensive from a company that has been known to have great customer service; and they still do. Those expectations however, must be realistic.

It would be one thing if the Apple store replaced your iPhone knowing full well the damage you did to it. It's another thing entirely to have them give you a replacement when you didn't disclose the facts. Just because you "get away with something" does not mean that the same company should not fully investigate a reported problem and deny a return or exchange of said item if no problem is found. Would you automatically replace something if the issue is not evident when being investigated?

I would follow the advice of previous posters and check your network. If there doesn't seem to be an issue at first, then just set up MAC address permissions and then try again. If that doesn't solve the problem, then of course call AppleCare and tell them what happened in the retail store. If there is in fact a problem with WiFi on the new iPad, then once Apple has confirmed it, you should have no problem returning it or getting it fixed.