Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Following the success of the 2017 Winter and Summer challenges, we're pleased to announce the 2018 Winter PowerPC Challenge!

Week of January 1-8, 2018

The Challenge:
Stick to using PowerPC-era personal computers for a week. Modern personal computers can be used if absolutely necessary (See "You Can Use" for more information on non-PPC computer usage) - documenting your use case can make for an interesting discussion!

Aim to keep internet usage on your modern smartphone or tablet to a minimum. Instead, why not use an iPhone (2G, 3G, 3GS), iPod touch (1G, 2G, 3G), or original iPad?

Document any interesting experiences you may have in your undertaking of this challenge by writing daily updates on this thread, or uploading videos shot on a PPC-compatible camera (of course! :))

You Can Use:
  • Personal computers containing PowerPC CPUs (including Amigas and IBMs)
  • Peripherals compatible with Leopard or below
  • Video game consoles (vintage preferred)
  • PDAs (Palm Pilots work well)
  • Backup devices for emergencies
  • Devices required for you to use by your school, employer, family, and/or other essential reasons (perhaps document why a PPC would not be suitable to use in these cases ;) )
Add more if you can think of any!

PARTICIPANTS:

Please insert your username below as @username.

01. @Gamer9430
02. @Hater
03. @Lastic
04. @amagichnich
05. @LightBulbFun
06. @benwild_33
07. @YYsMD
08. @pet84rik
09. @mmphosis
10. @SuperKerem
11. @AphoticD
12. @556fmjoe
13. @doggoli
14. @parrotgeek1
15. @devon807
16. @AL1630
17. @Altemose
18. @Mac03ForLife
19. @ZacharyFurgeson
20. @eyeleica
21. @Camacorn
22. @skinniezinho
23. @macgeek18
24. @iTurbo
25. @YaBe
26. @Jordy-G5
27. @rejuvenescencia
28. @xdanieldzd
29. @ApplesDotCom101

There were 44 participants last winter. Let's see if we can beat it: Comment and write in your username above to show your participation!

Last edited:
Reactions: LightBulbFun

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'll go back to my PowerBook and iPhone (Original) for the week, sounds fun.

I'm unsure if the iPhones battery is still any good, but lets find out.

Sign me up! I don't know how to add my name in up there.

xdanieldzd

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Despite giving up during the last Summer challenge, I might end up participating in this one again. I've since got my AlBook, which certainly feels snappier and is way quieter than my G4 tower, so I'd be using that as my daily driver. Maybe it'll also be an opportunity to mess around with my PM4400/200 again, seeing how there's things like BeOS to try out?

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Despite giving up during the last Summer challenge, I might end up participating in this one again. I've since got my AlBook, which certainly feels snappier and is way quieter than my G4 tower, so I'd be using that as my daily driver. Maybe it'll also be an opportunity to mess around with my PM4400/200 again, seeing how there's things like BeOS to try out?

The 4400 can now boot OS X :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/success-with-the-power-macintosh-4400.2077767/

xdanieldzd

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
Germany

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I'm participating again!
The only problem is I can't use a PPC at work, in fact, I'm not allowed to have a private device of any kind due to security reasons. Of course in my freetime I'll be using only PPCs and my trusty Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. It may not be as old as a G4 but at least it is slower :D

benwild_33

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2016
Better get the SSD for my PowerBook G4 sorted by then, I won't be able to use it at work though, as I work in a fully Microsoft environment. Will be interesting trying to resist going on my Intel Mac in the evening for a few online games.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just going to put this right heeeerrrre……

2017-06-26 19.21.05.jpg

Daily driver…

Do I win the challenge? ;)

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I saw that, but IIRC my 4400 only has 32 or 48 MB RAM and I doubt OS X would be happy with that. Do you happen to know what type of RAM the system takes, and if its still available anywhere for a reasonable price? It also has a Realtek LAN and, more importantly, a Matrox VGA card, both PCI, which I'm assuming might not be compatible with OS X?

Yes, that wouldn't be enough to boot. The RAM is an oddball; 168-pin 3.3 volt unbuffered EDO DIMMs, but they are mostly still available and not as expensive as they once were. I remember paying around $200 for a 64MB module around Y2K.

The network and VGA cards should be available to OS X if they worked in OS 9, but I wouldn't expect any kind of graphics acceleration.

BeOS R5 should be fine, though I've never witnessed it running on a 4400 myself.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
*cough* all the x86 PCs in use at your home and at work *cough splutter* :D
*cough* that aren't mine, except for one that I mainly use here at work if I need it *cough*
[doublepost=1508427704][/doublepost]
Where is Nr 6? I remember one hanging above the others..
You mean the displays?

Look again, there are six. This is still an older pic, but the displays are set up the same way. I have a Win7 laptop on a stand now behind the displays. That's the latest pic.

Probably need to take a new pic and get that added to my signature.
[doublepost=1508427753][/doublepost]
*quietly places name in the hat* :D
Uhm. You own like a bazillion PowerPC Macs that run OS X 10.100. If you're in I have to surrender.

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2017
I guess I don't have "the appropriate permissions" o_O but I would like to participate. :)

@mmphosis

I will need to continue using the IME-hindered PC for work because:
  • my PowerPC Mac cannot run the latest version of Flash :confused:, and I need to do that for work :(
  • even my fastest PowerPC Mac cannot run Firefox fast enough :eek: for work

ApplesDotCom101

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
NSW, Australia
I guess I'll join in again!

I'll probably be using:
  • June 2004 Dual 1.8 Power Mac G5
  • 1999, 500Mhz Power Mac G4
  • and 400Mhz G4
Let's hope I don't have issues with my G5 this time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.