Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Slack works fine via TenFourFox, if a little slowly. Just check the option to spoof the user agent as Mac OS X on Intel in the settings.

For a lightweight option if the admin has enabled it you can use good old fashioned IRC for text chat via your IRC client of choice. I'd recommend Colloquy.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
I might do this. I need to stop using social media and my phone so much. However, none of my PowerPC Macs have WiFi, and they are all in the basement too far away from Ethernet. So I will have to either post here from my rMBP, or use an old WiFi router as a bridge. Plus, I'll be home for Christmas break so I won't need to do any schoolwork.

My phone is only a Moto G3, so it's not powerful enough to be cheating. EDIT: this is a joke

Digital Audio G4
PowerBook 5300cs

Last edited:

doggoli

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2017
Serbia
Sure, why not, i missed using my iBook G4 as a daily driver! I will make sure to document more this time! Also i dont have any other phone except for my iPhone 5S so i wont be able to completely do the challenge, i will try to use my 2nd gen ipod nano as much as i can though... I learned so much more about PPC Macs since my last challenge so i cant wait to do this one!

Last edited:

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I might do this. I need to stop using social media and my phone so much. However, none of my PowerPC Macs have WiFi, and they are all in the basement too far away from Ethernet. So I will have to either post here from my rMBP, or use an old WiFi router as a bridge. Plus, I'll be home for Christmas break so I won't need to do any schoolwork.

My phone is only a Moto G3, so it's not powerful enough to be cheating.

Digital Audio G4
PowerBook 5300cs
Haha you're funny :D a Moto G3 has, though the 'G3' may imply it, no G3 but a quad core Snapdragon 401! More than enough power to use it as daily driver :D please compare it to a single core 600mhz and 256mb ram iPhone G3... Sorry, 3G

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
Haha you're funny :D a Moto G3 has, though the 'G3' may imply it, no G3 but a quad core Snapdragon 401! More than enough power to use it as daily driver :D please compare it to a single core 600mhz and 256mb ram iPhone G3... Sorry, 3G
It was a joke obviously. Unfortunately I need my phone to communicate with people so I won't be 100% participating. But I won't use social media.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I really want to do this again, though I'm actually going to be out of town from the 3rd-7th, so this challenge wouldn't really work, since I might not even have my laptop with me anyway. :p Maybe I'll try to do it again the week before or after you guys though!

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Well I have been using my G4 MDD (dual 867) exclusively for the past year... with an iPod first gen as MP3 player... Sure I have an iPad pro as well (12.9 2nd gen) but as computer, it has been PPC only for the past year!

Reactions: AphoticD

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Last 2 episodes of the Challenge I participated with my PB G4 12" 1.5 Ghz as my daily companion but I'm planning on upgrading my iBook G4 12" 1.0 Ghz (27 GB HDD) with an SSD and a Newertech battery and use it instead as an extra challenge .

I've read several posts about the msata + adapter upgrade but wanted to know what to buy :
  • 64 GB is my storage need and I need all the speed I can get to run VM's
  • I read mixed things about the heat generated, with the HDD I've never noticed the fan only much heat
    at my palm and the left bottom side of the iBook
  • 3.3v to 5v, what should I use ? The Lindsy adapter ?
On a side note , it's been a long time I haven't booted up Leopard on this iBook , I used the exact same image as on my PB, and weirdly enough the screen on the iBook looks brighter and sharper ?

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Last 2 episodes of the Challenge I participated with my PB G4 12" 1.5 Ghz as my daily companion but I'm planning on upgrading my iBook G4 12" 1.0 Ghz (27 GB HDD) with an SSD and a Newertech battery and use it instead as an extra challenge .

I've read several posts about the msata + adapter upgrade but wanted to know what to buy :
  • 64 GB is my storage need and I need all the speed I can get to run VM's
  • I read mixed things about the heat generated, with the HDD I've never noticed the fan only much heat
    at my palm and the left bottom side of the iBook
  • 3.3v to 5v, what should I use ? The Lindsy adapter ?
On a side note , it's been a long time I haven't booted up Leopard on this iBook , I used the exact same image as on my PB, and weirdly enough the screen on the iBook looks brighter and sharper ?

I’ve had a great run with KingSpec 64GB mSATA mini-PCIe (5v) in the red Lindy or Addonics (Also Lycom) adapter.

It appears the cheaper JM20330 adapters will work, but might not achieve the same top speed and are likely better suited to ATA/66 or lower.

I have seen no increase in running temps with Kingspec. The only SSD which I noticed a temp increase on was an OWC Mercury Legacy SSD in my PB15”.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I’ve had a great run with KingSpec 64GB mSATA mini-PCIe (5v) in the red Lindy or Addonics (Also Lycom) adapter.

It appears the cheaper JM20330 adapters will work, but might not achieve the same top speed and are likely better suited to ATA/66 or lower.

I have seen no increase in running temps with Kingspec. The only SSD which I noticed a temp increase on was an OWC Mercury Legacy SSD in my PB15”.

I've found the Lindy adapter for 33 EUR but the KingSpec only seems to be available from the US or China which will make it expensive for me in Europe with the custom fees and import duties.

I did find this Samsung one , anybody using it or having experience with it ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEU-Samsun...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
UPDATE scored the Newertech battery (which now seems to be completely discontinued at OWC/Newertech) here

https://www.sosav.fr/store/pieces-detachees/2613-batterie-nupower-newertech-ibook-12-g3-g4-.html

And found the KingSpec on Amazon.de but a bit doubtfull wether I should pick the KingSpec or the Samsung (previous post) since the KingSpec is actually more expensive

https://www.amazon.de/KingSpec-Fest...511000188&sr=8-3&keywords=kingspec+msata+64gb

https://www.amazon.de/KingSpec-64-G...511000188&sr=8-2&keywords=kingspec+msata+64gb

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Samsung SSDs are generally much better then kingspec ones and I recommend samsung always over kingspec SSDs...

so I would go for the Samsung SSD you linked in your previous post. :)

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
UPDATE scored the Newertech battery (which now seems to be completely discontinued at OWC/Newertech) here

https://www.sosav.fr/store/pieces-detachees/2613-batterie-nupower-newertech-ibook-12-g3-g4-.html

And found the KingSpec on Amazon.de but a bit doubtfull wether I should pick the KingSpec or the Samsung (previous post) since the KingSpec is actually more expensive

https://www.amazon.de/KingSpec-Fest...511000188&sr=8-3&keywords=kingspec+msata+64gb

https://www.amazon.de/KingSpec-64-G...511000188&sr=8-2&keywords=kingspec+msata+64gb

I only have experience with KingSpec and OWC SSDs and so far, my eBay KingSpec mSATA + caddy builds have performed better than the (much) more expensive prefab 2.5” OWC SSDs, but I can’t say what you’re likely to achieve with Samsung. Most reports are good (as you would expect from a brand like Samsung), but then there are the occasional reports of nix compatibility like the G5 SSD thread posted yesterday.

I have no idea how reputable KingSpec is as a brand and hope I never have to claim warranty under their 3 year cover, but so far so good in 6 different Macs (PPC G3, G4, G5 and Intel) + my iBook clamshell is due next for a 32GB KingSpec SSD which landed yesterday.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I followed LightBulbFun's advice and bought the Samsung.
It's sent from the Netherlands which is my neighbour country and I have a good experience with my 840 EVO Pro in my Lenovo Thinkpad.

I have an OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD in my G5 which also works quite good , but if I recall correctly my previous G5 had some issues with it and I ended up cloning it from the HDD via Firewire to the SSD before it would boot.

Must remember to start putting benchmarks in the Post Your SSD/CF SATA/PATA PowerPC Benchmark Results thread.

Reactions: AphoticD

Jordy-G5

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I'm game, have 3 G5 machines running Quad running Leopard, Dual 2.7 Running MorphOS and a Dual 2.5 running Debian. This should be easy and fun.

rejuvenescencia

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
Aberystwyth, Wales
Sign me up!

Since my daily driver is my Mac Pro 3,1, for this period I'll replace it with my upgraded PowerMac G5 DP 2GHz. If I can get a G5 Quad at any point beforehand, I'll use that instead. For my laptop, I'll use my PowerBook G4 Titanium. I'll also replace my Galaxy S6 with an iPhone 4.

At work however, I will need to use my i7 workstation running Linux. But I'll cover all the information in my write-up!

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
So my Lindy adapter , Samsung mSATA SSD and Newertech Battery all arrived so today I dissambled my iBook G4 12" and actually using the iFixit guide I found it way easier to do than a PB G4 12".

But then the moment of truth, booted up from a FireWire backup so I could clone that one to the mSATA inside only to find that there is no drive ?

Ok,back to undoing , and now I've Lindy Adapter and the mSATA out of the iBook.

Using the Newertech Universal Adapter, I can't see the Lindy+mSata , tried every possible Jumper position , no luck.
Using the Newertech Universal Adapter, with the old IDE HDD, it shows up so the Newertech adapter works.
Installed the mSATA in my Lenovo X220, found it and formatted it to FAT32.

So :
  1. Either the Lindy adapter doesn't work at all
  2. The Samsung mSATA isn't compatible with the Lindy Adapter ?
Any tips, things I've missed, or should I just return the Lindy adapter and order another one ?

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
So my Lindy adapter , Samsung mSATA SSD and Newertech Battery all arrived so today I dissambled my iBook G4 12" and actually using the iFixit guide I found it way easier to do than a PB G4 12".

But then the moment of truth, booted up from a FireWire backup so I could clone that one to the mSATA inside only to find that there is no drive ?

Ok,back to undoing , and now I've Lindy Adapter and the mSATA out of the iBook.

Using the Newertech Universal Adapter, I can't see the Lindy+mSata , tried every possible Jumper position , no luck.
Using the Newertech Universal Adapter, with the old IDE HDD, it shows up so the Newertech adapter works.
Installed the mSATA in my Lenovo X220, found it and formatted it to FAT32.

So :
  1. Either the Lindy adapter doesn't work at all
  2. The Samsung mSATA isn't compatible with the Lindy Adapter ?
Any tips, things I've missed, or should I just return the Lindy adapter and order another one ?

Curiously did you try taking the jumper off?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Curiously did you try taking the jumper off?

I can't fit the Lindy adapter to the IDE cable of the iBook without taking the jumper off so yes tried that.

I tried every jumper position with the Lindy adapter connected to the Newertech Universal Adapter ( IDE -> USB ) but that didn't work neither.

Just to be sure that the IDE cable from the iBook wasn't faulty after installing the Lindy adapter, I reassembled the iBook with the IDE HDD again and checked, the HDD works so still the same :
  1. Either the Lindy adapter doesn't work at all , visually it looks OK no burned parts or broken parts
  2. The Samsung mSATA isn't compatible with the Lindy Adapter ? Could it be a voltage thing ?
    ( the mSATA does work in my Lenovo Thinkpad but that's mSATA to mSATA )

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I tried every jumper position with the Lindy adapter connected to the Newertech Universal Adapter ( IDE -> USB ) but that didn't work neither.

Ok, reason I mentioned it is my Addonics adapter shipped with a jumper connected to the pins and failed to work on the Newertech universal adapter in various jumper positions until I removed the jumper completely. I installed it in my PB17” with no jumper (master).

I can't fit the Lindy adapter to the IDE cable of the iBook without taking the jumper off so yes tried that.

This seems odd, does the iBook’s IDE plug connect to the jumper pins too? It shouldn’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.