Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rootdev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2016
Spain
Hello.

Weird case. I have purchased a second hand power PC Mac G5 but don't have the Disk Utility installed. I wanted to know if it's possible to install this utility.

I think could be a permissions problem also. If nothing works, I want to reinstall Leopard. What version is needed?

The system works very well, it's incredible!

Thank you. Greetings.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just download and rerun the latest Combo Updater for the version of OS X you have installed.

Alternatively, if you just want Disk Utility you can use Pacifist to extract it from the Combo Updater.

But if you are having permissions issues, then I would just rerun the Combo Updater. It will see that Disk Utility is missing and reinstall it.

Reactions: jbarley

val1984

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
In case the Combo updater does not restore Disk Utility, you may reinstall Leopard, all G5s are able to run 10.5.0 to 10.5.8, they do not require a specific version like some of the latest G5s do with Tiger.
You might want to do that even if you succeed restoring Disk Utility because if it is missing, some other things might be missing too.
If you want to reinstall without formatting, Archive and Install is the way to go since it will preserve the data.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
I had something like this happen to me before. I installed Leopard on my PowerMac G5 and the utilities folder was empty besides the Terminal and Console. But I just copied everything else over from the leopard install on my PowerBook G4.
For me, when I updated from 10.5.6 (what I installed) to 10.5.8 via Software Update, it didn't install them even then. Possibly a sorta rare / uncommon Leopard bug?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.