Security for in store pickups 9/19

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xultar, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Anyone worried about security after your devices are delivered or after pick up?

I'm concerned about someone following me to my car after I pickup in store. I plan on keeping my 6 plus on the down low for a while. I mostly rock my devices naked but this time I bought a case that covers the back completely. I am also planning to use my BT headset more often to keep the device in my bag.

My first thought though is making it from the store to my car without incident. I don't have anyone to go with me to pickup so I am concerned.

2. Starrbuck macrumors regular

Stay alert and carry a .45 ACP. You'll be fine. It ain't worth dying for!

3. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

4. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I would bring a backpack with you to the pickup, then put your new goodie in there before you leave the store. I highly doubt you will be tailed after leaving the store.

5. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

You seem a bit racist this Saturday morning.

Stay classy!

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Wow 2nd thread about people worried about getting mugged. WTF paranoid much? Man up, dude. :rolleyes::cool:

:apple:

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It must be horrible to be scared or in fear for your safety all the time.

Detroit?

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

put find my iPhone on and lock the phone before you leave. If it does get stolen, it will be a brick. (Literally if its the 6+)

9. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

10. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I'm not a man. :rolleyes:

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did not used to be but I am too! The current administration made me that way!

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Touché

However, I'm sure most Apple stores are in OK areas with people around. I'm sure you'll be fine, MA'AM. :)

:apple:

13. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

No, but we have had women attacked for their Mercedes & BMWs in that area recently. I'd have to be an idiot not to be concerned. It's an affluent area but people of all kinds in desperate situations do horrible things.

----------

WOW! Just wow. Racism here on Mac Rumors..

WTF

WTF

14. dotme macrumors 6502a

Hang back in the store and leave with a group of other customers, and try to park close. Activate in store so activation lock and find my iphone are enabled. If mugged, surrender the device. No tech is worth personal injury. But if you leave with a few other customers at the same time, I would think there's usually safety in numbers...

15. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

16. AppleRobert macrumors 603

No lie. A gentlemen tailed me after I bought the last Moto 360 the BB store had in stock. It was broad daylight and people around so not much he could have done if he was planning something.

17. techspin macrumors 6502a

Put it in a different bag and bring pepper spray. Better than carrying a weapon into the store as some people are advising. :rolleyes: Hell you're picking up the 6 plus. Buy Applecare and swing that monster like a brick if anyone tries to mug you.

18. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

My brother was a cop. When I told him about in store pickup he was concerned. He said to activate In store too. I wasn't planning on it but now I think I will. Thanks.

19. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Where do you people live that this is a problem?

20. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I like this idea too. I wasn't sure if I'd do AppleCare but having the ability to pay to replace a drop for $79 would make me feel less uptight about the device.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I think that the concern over being mugged is a bit paranoid (maybe because I'm Canadian and that sort of thing doesn't seem to happen quite as much here), but if you are really concerned, the safest and easiest thing to do would probably be to have someone go with you. Muggers, even if their armed, will look for the easiest possible target, and multiple people will always be more of a threat to them than a solitary person.

Also, there's the common sense tactics like don't wave your phone around. Try to stay in public, well lit places. Be aware of your surroundings. And move with confidence, not fear. Again, muggers go for the easy target. Someone who looks nervous and uncertain will seem less likely to cause problems than someone who looks strong and confident.

It's like they say about being chased by a bear; you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your slowest friend (lol). You don't have to be stronger or better armed than a potential mugger. Just make yourself a less easy target than those around you.

22. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Maybe someone who works there can walk you out from where you buy it? Give them a tip? :)

23. sobucky macrumors 6502

Guess how I felt when I brought the new iMac and carrying it several blocks to my car... This is in NYC btw... The stares on the street lol