Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Make a bootable clone of your functional system drive then upgrade.

Sadly, that's the most sensible way to proceed with macOS updates these days. Apple has tarnished their reputation as a provider of reliable operating system software.

Steve would be furious. Unfortunately Steve is dead.

samcema

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
Kolkata
Thankfully I didnot update to Security update 2020-005 but I did install Safari 14.0. It seems fine for me. Will be checking this thread if Apple has fixed the problem with the latest update & then go forward!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apple pulled both Mojave Security Update 2020-005 and Safari 14 for Mojave from distribution yesterday.

Apple is pretending they never existed.
The security update, and a supplemental update which includes Safari 14, have been posted.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
The alleged redistribution of Security Update 2020-005 is a new development within the last hour or so.

At this point, I might wait a month to try either. Again, I will clone my boot drive before I try anything.

Attention Apple: TRUST IS EARNED.

Reactions: carylee2002

chromotype

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
I just checked, Security Update 2020-004 is still there but it's joined by 'macOS Supplemental Update'
Thanks for letting us know. I just installed the "supplemental update", and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Right now, after installing the update, with a clean boot, only running terminal, activity monitor and chrome (4 tabs open), I'm seeing memory usage back to a reasonable 4.3GB used, cached 2.2GB. Terminal is taking a reasonable 18MB of memory. Before the supplemental update, I was seeing 13.57GB used, 5.67GB cache, and Terminal was using 67MB of RAM.

This was on my mac mini with 20GB ram that had mojave 10.14.6 and update 2020-005 installed. Note that I didn't roll back to before 2020-005, so this seems to be an alternative fix to use instead of doing a rollback/reinstall.

I haven't tried it on my macbook pro yet, though...

I'm still seeing some errors of the form

Code:
Class SUDevKey is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SoftwareUpdate.framework/Versions/A/SoftwareUpdate (0x7fffb24d67e0) and /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/suhelperd (0x1083dd270). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

in /var/log/system.log. But none of the asn1Token class ones yet. Hmmmm....

Reactions: Brian33

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you have any questions about both the re-released 2020-005 Security update and the new 10.14.6 Supplemental Update, I have answers for you!

This is my follow-up article. I tried to test every install scenario that I could think of. Let me know if I've missed one.

Last edited:

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked and here's what I see
View attachment 962134

Did they fix it or not?!
The link takes you here
macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update
Released October 1, 2020
macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update for macOS Mojave includes the security content of Safari 14.0.

Feel reassured ?.. and consequently holding my updates for now..

The new update fixed my excessive memory usage on my 2018 mac mini. I am updating my 2014 mini as I type this.

EDIT:
Looks like it fixed the memory issue on my 2014 mini as well.

Reactions: katbel

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
If you have any questions about both the re-released 2020-005 Security update and the new 10.14.6 Supplemental Update, I have answers for you!

This is my follow-up article. I tried to test every install scenario that I could think of. Let me know if I've missed one.

I used the following command in Terminal;
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update 2020-005"
and now I get an error running the System Preferences System Update pane.
Is there a command that will reverse the "--ignore" command?
Has Apple posted a download link for eithr or both of these updates?

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
I used the following command in Terminal;
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update 2020-005"
and now I get an error running the System Preferences System Update pane.
Is there a command that will reverse the "--ignore" command?
Has Apple posted a download link for eithr or both of these updates?

To reset the ignored updates run this

sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored

You should then see the re-released 2020-005 update.

Since the Supplemental Update is more of a Safari update we might not get a direct download. We will see tomorrow for sure though.

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009

Great article! Thanks a lot

Reactions: MrMacintoshBlog

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
To reset the ignored updates run this

sudo softwareupate --reset-ignored

You should then see the re-released 2020-005 update.

Since the Supplemental Update is more of a Safari update we might not get a direct download. We will see tomorrow for sure though.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Tried that: got this "Command not found" error message as shown below
David_MBP:~ davidv$ sudo softwareupate --reset-ignored
sudo: softwareupate: command not found

I did manage to get the security update 005 installed using
sudo softwareupdate --install "Security Update 2020-005-10.14.6"
followed by an immediate restart

Is there a similar command for the Supplemental update? Something like the following?
sudo softwareupdate --install "Safari14.0MojaveAuto-10.14.6"
Edit: This worked too! Memory usage is back to normal. Now if Apple could only reimbuse all of us who lost sleep, work hours, or suffered stress, etc. due to their careless quality control!
Where do we send the bill?

Last edited:

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the quick reply!
Tried that: got this "Command not found" error message as shown below
David_MBP:~ davidv$ sudo softwareupate --reset-ignored
sudo: softwareupate: command not found

I did manage to get the security update 005 installed using
followed by an immediate restart

Is there a similar command for the Supplemental update? Something like the following?
Edit: This worked too! Memory usage is back to normal. Now if Apple could only reimbuse all of us who lost sleep, work hours, or suffered stress, etc. due to their careless quality control!
Where do we send the bill?
OOPS, I spelt softwareupdate wrong!

harlekinrains

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2020
After an OS reinstall (in place) in the last days I was at Security Update 2020-005, with Safari still at 12.1.2.

Software update only showed the supplemental update available in my case, witch I just did, and now I've Safari 14.0 installed as well.

No further issues so far. (That I have noticed.)

Its astonishing to me, how few news outlets have picked this issue up and that apple could address it without having to give any statement whatsoever. Somethings not working here...

Last edited:
Reactions: iAssimilated

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
OOPS, I spelt softwareupdate wrong!

Thanks for all the work on this issue!
I was able to get those updates due your post containing the real names of the updates as issued by Apple.

So thanks again!

Can someone post the actual direct links to these updates on the Apple servers when they become available?

Reactions: MrMacintoshBlog

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) (16GB RAM)
versions after the new supplemental update:
macOS 10.14.6 18G6032
Safari 14.0 (14610.1.28.1.10)

So far, seems back to normal - less than half of RAM used on first login, before starting any apps other than all the menu bar stuff I have starting automatically. CPU usage just running "top" in a Terminal in addition, is 2-3% mostly, also normal. As the only user, I hadn't done any account maintenance while the problem was there, so I can't say whether it was broken then; but I just added a couple of optional fields successfully to my account, so I suppose that's ok now too.

According to https://mrmacintosh.com/10-14-6-supplemental-update-safari-14-released-to-fix-previous-issues/ it looks like most or all problems are fixed with this.

levanid

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
Thank you @ClassicII for digging to the root of the problem. I did not have 2020-005 yet, but had already Safari 14 installed
Today I reinstalled Mojave from USB, applied Software Update 2020-005 rebooted and then installed Safari 14.
During installation software update responded that one of the packages has been pulled from the server, but after that error I already had Safari 14 and observe no problems (even screensavers are working fine).

Might it be that Apple already pulled Safari 14 or substituted it with new package?

It took ~45 minutes but now everything seems to be fine with latest security update applied.

I am not sure about memory usage though and WindowServer seems to consume more than it should, however I had 8 different windows with safari opened (6 are minimized) that might lead to WindowsServer consuming more than it should
View attachment 961036

Today after how I thought successful implementation of 2020-005 and Safari 14 update I've installed new macOS Supplemental Update (10.14.6)
And now everything seems to be fine, safari updated to version 14.0 (14610.1.28.1.10) (previous was 14610.1.28.1.9)
Memory pressure is down and windows server is consuming less memory.
1601631449221.png

Reactions: iAssimilated

Minipudding

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
Scandinavia
None of the fixes are showing up among my available updates. I have Safari 14.0.1 beta installed. Maybe this has some bearing on it, or maybe it's just a case of step-wise deployment to prevent a million downloads at the same time.

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
Just checked on Software Update via Systems Preferences and it's showing up there for me:
Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 15.29.30.png

I had no problem with the original update, nor with Safari 14, so I'm hanging on a bit to make sure that all is well!

Minipudding

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
Scandinavia
None of the fixes are showing up among my available updates. I have Safari 14.0.1 beta installed. Maybe this has some bearing on it, or maybe it's just a case of step-wise deployment to prevent a million downloads at the same time.

The presence of the 14.0.1 BETA was the reason. I had to "uninstall" it by booting into recovery mode in order to disable SIP, then install the original Safari 14.0 Mojave package using Pacifist (and replacing all already present files), and finally re-enable SIP again.

The supplemental 10.14.6 update then showed up. It installed fine, and the problems caused by the now pulled Safari 14 + 2020-005 Security Update seems to have been mostly undone - macOS is however still eating a bit more RAM than it used to right after boot, about 2 GB compared to somewhere just over 1 GB before this terrible mess started a week ago, and I notice in the Activity Monitor that some processes still look a bit hungrier than they used to.

All in all it mostly feels like the problem has been solved. I'll update if I notice any new "premium Apple experiences" when I've used the computer a bit more.

Also, f*ck you Apple. You've become so f*cking lousy and sloppy with quality assurance the past 6-7 years.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
My Software Update pane in System Preferences is not loading right now. I'll have to try again later. :(
If these updates are not showing; use terminal and the following code:
and/or
which is Apple's download name for the Supplemental 10.14.6 update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.