Seems like nobody really cares anymore...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowboarder, Sep 13, 2015.

1. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Remember the excitement? "New iPhone" OMG!!!
    What has changed? Was it Steve? What's different?

I find it amusing to wait a year for a HUGE announcement - a slightly betterer camera - used to be
    an official Apple line - more megapixels is not good, now it's good apparently and a faster processor
    (does anyone care about the processor inside your phone?).

I don't know about you, but it all feels like an end of an era.

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Many simply don't care.

That's not bad either. :)

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Been here and have been watching this introduction thing for many years and I agree the "atmosphere" in this forum has changed drastically. It is not the mechanics of this forum nor the moderators that have changed, it is the people. People seem more cynical and do not share the group excitement of a new iPhone like I remembered. Society as a whole is not what it used to be just a few years ago, especially among the younger people. The economy and overall health of our country may be partly responsible.

4. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

To a small extent, I believe we are more informed and more discriminating consumers of Apple products.

Most of us have been doing this for a while, and even if we are solidly inside the Apple Ecosphere, we are realistic.

Witness the small number of us who bought into the Apple Watch.

Some things don't make sense.

I have an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, MacBook, and iMac. The iMac and MacBook are five years old, the Apple TV is a couple of years old. Only the iPad and iPhone are the latest models, and the Apple Watch didn't make sense to me.

Maybe in a small way Apple are victims of their own excellence, if people can hang onto electronic appliances for more than five years, which is more than long enough for their consumers to learn exactly what they really want and need in something new.

5. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

The public is jaded. What goes up most come down. Apple isn't really doing anything new. Another year, another iPhone that's faster, more powerful, etc.

The same is true for the iPad and that's why sales are trending downwards. The average person doesn't need to upgrade every year.

Get used to this feeling, only a major change will bring back the hype.

Someone needs to come along and shake things up. Like how the original iPhone did. It's time for the next big thing. And honestly, I don't think it'll come from Apple. Lately they've just been making things bigger and changing colors. The Watch is cool, but it's a niche product at best.

6. philbo7 macrumors regular

philbo7

The Apple Watch makes perfect sense to me although I didn't fully realize it until I bought it. With the watch I always get all my notifications on the watch with the volume muted on both the iphone and watch and with vibrations always off on the phone. I get all my notifications via the taptic engine on the watch. So now I never have to adjust the phone or watch just because I'm in a meeting or in the public. I no longer have to endure the loud vibrations of the phone while in a meeting. I no longer have to turn my phone off because of it.

This is a killer feature for the Apple Watch, at least for me.

7. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

You sound like you need to be more in touch than I do. ☺️

8. tevion macrumors member

I have to disagree....

Every iPhone has come in for some pretty stiff bashing, remember Copy & Paste?

The iPhone "S" models in particular get ripped apart, has happened all the way back to the original phone.

9. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Ha ha ha ha ha..... Yes, I do remember that, now that you mention it.

10. philbo7, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

philbo7 macrumors regular

philbo7

Good point. That feature of the Apple Watch is more beneficial the more communications and notifications you tend to get.

EDIT: deleted the part that was responding to a different thread...

11. jaxbrah macrumors regular

or maybe you are romanticizing the past like we all do?

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

We're also the first & last "generation" to have experienced Steve Jobs and the launch of the original iPhone and also the moment he did the iPhone 4 keynote.

That can't & won't ever be repeated or recreated, so those levels of "excitement" are gone IMO, as he was part of the hype.

Today, The market is nerds and people who don't know/care who Steve Jobs even was, they just know that iphone=quality.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

13. becomingwater macrumors member

becomingwater

I know once they reveal the glass see through iPhone the hype will return

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

A lot of it has to do with the fact that we knew every piece of the announcement weeks to months in advance. In unsure this has ever happened to this extent. The keynote for me was a waste of time (didn't actually watch most of it just read about it). Nothing was said that we didn't already "know" (quotes because nothing was confirmed until, well. apple confirmed it).

15. t0dd macrumors newbie

This thread made me realize that i want to get the new iPhone asap although i'm not that impressed.

It's interesting, isn't it? Is it just because iPhone is flashy? or just being a cash cow?

Obviously we won't see "the next big thing" for a while.

16. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Because a few years ago the iPhone was new. Now most people have or a similar phone, the upgrades on new models aren't usually essential anymore, the same goes for all phones, and even tablets. You can even say the computer market as a whole has came to this.

The atmosphere around it may have died down, but the sales are going up each year. I wouldn't bet against this year breaking last year's record. Yes availability laster longer, but there is a new colour option added (which adds 6 more options to choose from), the production of this year's iPhone reportedly started earlier, and the launch date is later.

17. ap123ap macrumors newbie

i've been through all of the iphone releases. i find that, to keep things exciting, its good to use a crappy phone (maybe an android device...) for a month before you get your new handset. This works especially well for the 's' releases. This year, I have been using a HTC One m7...lets just say that i cant wait until 25th Sept!!

18. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I respect that you're impressed, but I obtain the same result you (without buying a watch) do and it cost $0.00.

By silencing my phone, when in a meeting
    (as but one example) I simply glance at it occasionally. It's not life or death. It's just a notification.

Bought the watch - returned it

19. willmtaylor, Sep 13, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

We happened to be around at the time that a device which changed history was introduced and then improved. Those types of devices don't come around often, which is what makes them so spectacular.

To me, it smacks of saying, "You know, Gutenberg's movable type press was cool and all, but it's 1448 already. Anyone else notice a lack of enthusiasm for it these days?"
    [​IMG]

"It's 1915 already. The "Tin Lizzy" is nice an all, but it doesn't even have an external notification light nor a removable battery. It just seems a little boring now."
    [​IMG]

20. kasakka macrumors 68000

It's the same thing that has happened to CPUs on the desktop and mobile. Hard to get excited for something when even the cheapest models are starting to be more than adequate for most users as they're no longer infuriatingly slow and laggy.

My first iPhone was the 3G and it was a revolutionary device coming from an old crappy Samsung dumbphone. Then came the iPhone 4 which had the retina display. After that Touch ID has been pretty much the only actually interesting feature. Otherwise it's just been things that make the phone faster (better chips, more RAM etc) and then the larger phones (that were being produced by every damn Android manufacturer a year or two before), better cameras etc. 3D Touch seems pretty much a gimmick at this point.

The one thing I want to see on tablets and smartphones is being able to feel the surface of buttons. Haptic feedback has been demonstrated years ago in prototype devices (Fujitus also had a new one last year) but still nothing commercial has come out. The number one issue with touchscreen devices is the lack of feel.

At the moment I use an almost 2.5 years old phone and despite being interested in the 6S figured that there really isn't all that much that would improve from getting it because my current one is more than good enough.

21. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Consider that when the first iPhone came out, we were all literally blown away. It was like nothing we had ever seen before. Then for years, they kept taking glaring issues with the original design and fixing them and making them better and better. It turns out after years of refinement, there's less to refine each year.

22. nabwong, Sep 13, 2015

nabwong macrumors regular

You guys don't feel the excitement because you upgrade every year. I'm upgrading from an iPhone 5 and I'm super excited. I have skipped so many technological advancements: Touch ID, Apple pay, big screen, ois, new design, plus the speed and new tech on the new S model. I'm upgrading from a 16gb 5 to a 128gb 6s+. I'm gonna be smiling for weeks.

Want the excitement back, try skipping a year or two. You'll be saving money also. Someone talked about society and you can see it's the same with everything else in life. People want to buy new cars after 2-3 years instead of 5-10. My Honda Accord is 13 years old. The new cars seem like space ships. But I'm still not buying a new one. I'm waiting for my car to die. Still no signs of that and I've had no car payments in a long time. When it's time to buy a car, I'm gonna be a little kid in a candy store plus I will have saved enough money not to take a huge loan or at all.

This society buys what it can't afford because they want it now. I'm not saying that they can't afford iPhones, but that is just the gateway. Next, student loans, cars, mortgages.

23. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

What you classing as an end to an era? If you expect to be surprised by what comes out leaks will stop that. You know what's coming before each event

24. mblogsd macrumors member

You're exactly right. I think everyone has very high expectations of Apple because they did give us a historic device, and (not to be an echo) those don't and won't be something that show up often, that's what makes them the big deal that they are. I've accepted that I drank the proverbial kool-aid and I get pumped every time they have an announcement. I can somewhat understand where people are coming from when they complain that the new phone doesn't have more RAM, but a big part of that is simply that iOS doesn't require it like other phones that are resource hogs. One of the biggest things though that I think has taken away the hype is the fact that these days all of the details end up being leaked so rather than being bombarded with new features that as a whole would get people excited, we get the details spread out over time and makes them seem lackluster. Just my two cents.

25. JerryCooke macrumors regular

JerryCooke

Aye, this.

I kept the original iPad until I got the Air. The upgrade blew me over.
    I went from a 3GS to a 5. Ditto, wow.
    I'm now preparing to go from a 16GB 5 to a 128GB 6s. I'm fully expecting to be wowed once again.

I'll probably skip the 7 and maybe even the 7s and be wowed by the 8. Upgrading isn't nearly as pressing as it used to seem before. My wife still has a 4s and it suits her fine, though she'll be happily taking my 5 when I upgrade. Sure, have wished I had certain features, Touch ID, etc, but it hasn't compelled me to upgrade.

The only thing I keep regularly updated is my graphics card, hehe.