Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is aiming to hold its annual iPhone event on Tuesday, September 12, TechCrunch reported today, confirming information shared yesterday by The Wall Street Journal.

According to TechCrunch, the September 12 date is "nearly locked in," but may hinge on whether Apple is able to complete work on the Steve Jobs Theater at its new Apple Park campus in time. Construction on the theater is still underway, but Apple is said to want to inaugurate the theater with the launch of the iPhone 8, its most radically redesigned iPhone in years.

iphone8dummymodeltrio-800x446.jpg

Because media invites often go out 7 to 10 days before a major event is held, Apple has very little time to make a decision on where the event will be hosted, if a decision has not been made already. With Labor Day coming up next Monday, Apple will need to send out invites by the end of this week or on Tuesday, September 5 at the latest if the event is to be held on September 12.

Should the 1,000 seat Steve Jobs Theater not be completed in time, Apple could elect to use the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, where several past iPhone events have been held. There's nothing on the auditorium's schedule for the week of the 12th, so it remains a possibility.

With September approaching, it won't be long before Apple's plans are confirmed. If Apple does hold an event on September 12 -- and it's unlikely the event would be pushed beyond that date -- the new iPhones could see an official launch on Friday, September 22. If Apple accepts pre-orders, sales could start a week ahead of launch on Friday, September 15.

Apple's 2017 iPhone event will be its biggest in years thanks to the launch of a redesigned OLED 5.8-inch iPhone with an edge-to-edge display, inductive charging, facial recognition, and dozens of other new features. The new high-end device will launch alongside two standard but also redesigned devices in typical 4.7 and 5.5-inch sizes.

Apple is also expected to unveil a new 4K Apple TV and a third-generation Apple Watch with LTE at the event.

Article Link: September 12 Date 'Nearly Locked In' For Apple's iPhone Event

DocMultimedia

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Would be nice if they showed a HomePod while they were busy talking. Really am getting bored with the second keynote every fall which always seems second fiddle to the iPhone one. I guess they could do iMac Pro and HomePod later...and one more thing? ;)

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68020
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
And then when it arrives:

"SLIGHT YELLOW TINT ON TOP RIGHT CORNER OF SCREEN"

"I GOT THE TSMC CHIP AND NOT THE SAMSUNG CHIP"
I'm a bit scared to get the first iPhone 8 batch honestly. Do Apple make adjustment on slight things after a product is launched?
[doublepost=1504031746][/doublepost]
I'll host the event in my back yard if Apple can't decide on a venue...
Assuming your backyard can host 20 people, those tickets are going to be expensive... probably 500k per ticket lmao

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
"launch of the iPhone 8, its most radically redesigned iPhone in years."

lol hmm yeah that's a pretty sad statement if we are considering a bezel-less screen and removal of their ICONIC home button as "radically redesigned". The standards these days for products have clearly gone downhill. Not that many end users care.. they'll just keep tossing cash at whatever has a company logo on it.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
And then when it arrives:

"SLIGHT YELLOW TINT ON TOP RIGHT CORNER OF SCREEN"

"I GOT THE TSMC CHIP AND NOT THE SAMSUNG CHIP"

This is why I don't get the initial batch anymore. Gotta wait a month or two for them to work out all the kinks.

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
I'm wondering if the final iPhone 8s will have uniform black camera bumps and white logos across all different color phones. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think something like this would look better:

iPhone-8-Leak-Recolor.gif

It reminds me of when Apple used to sell iPod Nanos and Shuffles that had colored bodies, white click wheels, and then gray icons. I always thought having icons that matched the bodies would look so much nicer.

iPod Shuffle Recolor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: xxray

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I'm a bit scared to get the first iPhone 8 batch honestly. Do Apple make adjustment on slight things after a product is launched

Apple sells millions of iPhones and naturally, some will have issues or defects with mass production, but that's what warranties/returns are for. But the majority are satisfied with their devices when they receive them. And yes, Apple continuously makes updates into iOS that needs to be tweaked or remedied. That's what's great about Apple, as they strive to make improvements.

Last edited:

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I’m having a tough time deciding. If TouchID is gone from the premium iPhone then I may go with the 7s Plus from my 7 Plus, but then again from what I’ve seen of the 7s Plus the Black looks like jet black and I have the jet Black now ... it’s a mother to keep clean and scratch free

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
ppfff.....And a few weeks from now, people start Flight tracking their new iPhone 8

"Where is your shipment right now?" Is it flightnr XXX or flight XXY?"
"ow! wow! mine just arrived in Kentucky!"

#hyperdehyper ;)
This resonates deeply with me with the 7 Plus launch last year.

"wtf mine is STILL in Alaska. I hate u UPS...."

Reactions: Geert76

dtrj787

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
The energy they get from a crowd of 7k vs 1k is a huge difference. I get the significance of putting this 10 years of iPhone anniversary event in the Steve Jobs theater, but I'm curious what the impact will be.

The thing is most of the 7,000 are Apple employees. Also, having only 1,000 in a much smaller space will have the same effect in terms of sound. Plus, they have to pay for the theater and moving everything there, and the security isn't as tight. If you own your own theater then why not use it?

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2009
I'm not trying to downplay this or act spoiled... but I just don't see how this is a radically redesigned iPhone, judging from all the leaks I have been presented so far. It just seems like a continuation of the iPhone 6's design (terrible design), with a larger front display, glass back, and no home button. The overall shape and design seem to be milking iPhone 6 for all its terrible worth.

To me, iPhone 3G was a radical redesign from the original iPhone. And how can we forget the legendary iPhone 4. So different from previous iPhones that people fried Gizmodo for claiming it was an iPhone prototype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.