Series 4 screen not flush

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Vegaspilot, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

So I got my SBSS 44 today and I like it a lot. However I intend to return it because the bottom of the screen isn’t flush with the SS case. If you run you finger across it there’s a very noticeable edge. I don’t mind feeling the seam, but this is excessive. Anyone else have a screen with a rough edge on one side? I suppose you could chalk it up to build variances, but not at this price point.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Got mine today too. Same model and I have the same thing you’re describing. Bottom edge there’s definitely a lip while the other three sides are smooth.

Never would have noticed it and I’ll probably have forgotten about it in the morning.

3. Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

It should be completely flush. Running my finger along my SBSS and I can’t tell where the screen ends and case starts. For the price you pay for this tech it should be flawless. I’d return it.

4. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like it’s semi common on the bottom of these things. Not cool.

5. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

6. Relentless Power, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Definitely see a slight gap variance, I guess it just depends if someone is willing to accept it, with the decision of exchanging or even noticing it at all.

7. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

8. Relentless Power, Sep 25, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It has to be, because my display certainly is not sitting uneven. During the manufacturing process, the dispay wasn’t seated properly against the casing.

9. pika2000 macrumors 601

I would return it. Any gaps on a supposedly water resistant device is highly suspect. Rather return it now than being refused warranty later.

10. Bazooka-joe, Sep 25, 2018

Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

God, I have just checked mine and not sure if its the same but I can run my finger nail around all 4 sides of the watch and feel a gap but I think its within tolerance levels as there has to be a seam

11. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah my fingernail catches but it’s the rough edge I can feel with my skin I don’t like.

12. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Well if I was torn about the lower edge, the bad screen seals the deal. Noticed this morning there are light spots on non black backgrounds.

Look at the 1,4,7
    [​IMG]

The left side and upper right corner
    [​IMG]

Same
    [​IMG]

13. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

My 42mm SS Series 0 has had this since day one and I haven't ever thought about it since getting it. It's not something you ever notice unless you're just staring at your watch from 4 inches away all the time. It's not something you ever feel in normal use of the Watch. Nobody else you meet with ever notice this either. Not a big deal. It's how it's made.

14. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

I can see your point, but for the money it shouldn’t be that bad. In any event the light bleed, leak, whatever on the left edge is a deal breaker.

One more
    [​IMG]

15. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Is it not just an optical illusion as it's close to the edge/curve of the screen? If I look at that exact screen and am a little off-centre (tilt watch slightly to the left), then I get something similar.

BTW, with OLED, you won't get light bleed.... There is no backlight, the pixels product their own light, hence why the blacks are totally black.

16. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Right. I wasn’t sure what exactly to call it. I’ve tilted it at all angles and it doesn’t go away. Looks like those pixels are lighter when light up.

17. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

18. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

19. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

My S4 silver stainless has slightly more lip at 6:00 edge than other 3. More finger nail catching so to speak. I’m not worried about it partly because AppleCare. If I had a gap that would be different.

20. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I examined my Series 0 aluminum sport and discovered that the top is not quite as flush as the bottom. In over 3 years it's not something I ever noticed, and I can't even really see it unless I focus really close. I can barely feel it and barely see it (might have to get out the loupe). Needless to say it never bothered me or affected the watch, but your sample has a more pronounced variation between the sides. I see you returned it, so hopefully your next one will be much more even.

21. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah hopefully...plus no screen issues like that one. Thx

22. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Wow...got lucky...local store got more. Picking up in a couple hours. Fingers crossed.

23. ectospheno macrumors regular

The great thing about forums like macrumors is that it lets people from all over the world connect with each other. The bad thing about forums in general is that they are for complaining.

If 1,000,000 buy an Apple product and 0.001% of people have an issue then you can bet at least half of those 10 people will pick macrumors as one of the places to vent. Another one will go "me too" and suddenly it is a widespread issue.

I'm sorry you were in the tiny pool of bad watches. I'm glad you are getting a new one.

24. mjr1000 macrumors regular

Let us know if there’s a difference on the new watch.

25. nealh macrumors 6502

Here’s mine
    First one is top
    Second one bottom. There is a slight difference. I suspect it’s normal
    I feel more of an edge with the lower/bottom screen If you blow up the thumbnail you will see the ever so slight gap/space

FWIW, I have an 44 mm AL SG and it has smoother edge all around. I think this is just a variance with SS casing. That’s my opinion.

Attached Files: