Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I’ve had SS edition since the Series 3 and considered the S5 titanium but went with SS SB and so happy with my decision. My other SS Apple Watches were silver but the black looks so good IMO. No regrets. :)

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
When someone pays $750+ for a watch and gets $300-400 after barely a year? That is a LOUSY resale value.

Agree. I‘m always a bit surprised that Apple Watches don’t hold their resale value as well as other products I’ve sold. I was fortunate to find an open box (mint) S5 SSSB at Best Buy that was marked down $70 so that helped offset the upgrade cost considerably.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Has anyone on here got a Gold SS and paired it with the tan leather loop? I'm on the fence about getting it and my nearest Apple Store is 40 miles away.

Also, any Gold SS users managed to find any quality replacement connectors that match the Apple Gold SS colour? I love my Apple tan leather strap and the black, but I can't see beyond the Silver SS connectors :)

Thanks!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Agree. I‘m always a bit surprised that Apple Watches don’t hold their resale value as well as other products I’ve sold. I was fortunate to find an open box (mint) S5 SSSB at Best Buy that was marked down $70 so that helped offset the upgrade cost considerably.

The stainless models really suffers in value for resale, but the aluminum actually does fairly well, it almost holds as much resale values as the stainless does used. But I think all together, Apple products in general have a pretty strong secondhand market.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
am i the only one not thinking about my watch's re-sale value? i keep my gadgets in great condition dont get me wrong but by the time im usually ready to let them go im already taking a loss as it is so i dont even bother

Reactions: yui4

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
The only difference between the Alu and the SS is the material used??
From what I understand the SS is more durable, but heavier?
Ive also read the SS attracts microscratches much easier?

Sorry, new to the AW and considering my first one with the AW5!

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK

The SS also has a sapphire screen - the aluminium has a ion-x glass screen that attracts scratches a lot easier.

It is a little heavier - to be fair I only noticed it this year as I went from SS to aluminium for a year and when I got my AW5 SS I immediately noticed th difference. It isn't too heavy though - it feels like an ordinary watch to me.

All SS models come with the availability of LTE as well - there are no GPS only models. You do not have to activate it.

Reactions: Ifti

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I will dig out a post I found on here about rubbing coconut oil in it to age it, but bring out the deep colours. Worked really well
Thanks for the tip! I wonder whether the result would still look half decent on black or red leather tho.
[automerge]1570617078[/automerge]

To add to what Bill already said, yes the SS case is much more prone to micro scratches, but either you enjoy the patina or you polish it out with a Cap Cod cloth. Note the space black SS is a tank when it comes to scratches thanks to its DLC coating.

SS is best when you want to use your AW for any occasion - from morning jog to business meetings in the afternoon - good luck impressing your client into signing a multi-million dollar deal with an aluminum AW :)

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
am i the only one not thinking about my watch's re-sale value? i keep my gadgets in great condition dont get me wrong but by the time im usually ready to let them go im already taking a loss as it is so i dont even bother

I typically upgrade my iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad on an annual basis and usually sell my old devices to help offset the upgrade cost.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
Just picked up the space black Milanese loop for my S5 SSSB. I’ve owned a couple of 3rd party Milanese bands for my S3 & S4 but the genuine Apple Watch band is nicer all around. :)
C8FB9686-B0E0-4578-989C-3FC78AC59AAE.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You know why I don’t think about resale value for the Apple Watch, because I Purchased the watch to enjoy it for what it is. If you’re always worried about ‘resale value’, how can you really truly enjoy the Apple Watch? I wouldn’t look at it just like it’s the Apple Watch that has poor resale value, _any_ tech device generally has poor resale value, because it superseded by a new product the following year.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Yep I have a black leather loop and it looks great - just thought the tan may look ok as I have the 2015 brown leather strap as well with silver stainless connectors and it looks great...except for the connectors lol.

I have a black Milanese too and that looks awesome.

View attachment 867665 View attachment 867666

Yours seems to be doing better than mine. I left mine in a draw for two or three years and when I recently put it on my watch, I got brown dye on my wrists for a couple of days. It seems to be oozing gunk.
AC062878-4E14-4A91-88A1-29E0F6CE17CD.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: BillGates1969

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Just picked up the space black Milanese loop for my S5 SSSB. I’ve owned a couple of 3rd party Milanese bands for my S3 & S4 but the genuine Apple Watch band is nicer all around. :) View attachment 868117

Hey, your strap is on upside down...

I just received the same SBSS 44mm Milanese - have to get from Amazon Germany as they don't sell the LTE watch here in Belgium.

My initial impression is that I love the watch body, but the strap is much more matt than the watch, is that normal? The strap also feels quite sharp on the edges, certainly compared with my S2 SS Milanese, but it's possible that with that being 3 years old, it's just worn soft and is more flexible.

Thoughts?

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
Hey, your strap is on upside down...

There's no "right side up" to the loop - the wearer can wear it in any orientation they like! Personally, I like to wear my Milanese in the same orientation - much easier to adjust on the fly that way. Of course, I wear my watch on my left wrist with the crown on the left side, so I'm weird, I guess. But, certainly, it's my prerogative!

no1gooner

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
SS S5 44mm with gen 3 leather classic buckle also have silver link bracelet and silver Milanese loop all oem.
29235D91-0E4B-4486-B5BD-9BDA83CA5D70.jpeg
5C745239-7713-4C4A-83A7-B526931DA28B.jpeg

Reactions: Shan S.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
There's no "right side up" to the loop - the wearer can wear it in any orientation they like! Personally, I like to wear my Milanese in the same orientation - much easier to adjust on the fly that way. Of course, I wear my watch on my left wrist with the crown on the left side, so I'm weird, I guess. But, certainly, it's my prerogative!

So your strap is the right way up, but your whole watch is upside down o_O

Last edited:

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I typically upgrade my iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad on an annual basis and usually sell my old devices to help offset the upgrade cost.

I do the same thing. I look at it like this. For years we had carrier subsidized phones, they would charge us $200-400 a year for the upgrade. I used to sell my previous phone to offset that and many times made money on it. Then carriers started offering 2 year contracts and I could only get the subsidized upgrades every other year. So it might cost me $200 one year, and I'd make $200-300 the other year.

Between what I pay for the new devices, and how much I sell them for, it minimizes the cost to do my annual upgrades on all my devices, and it's the few little pleasures I spend money on during the year that makes it totally worth it to me. All in what one prefers, my wife could go 2-4 years before she upgrades anything and she is perfectly content.

Reactions: jcshas

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Same for me DougFNJ, I upgrade my Apple Watch and iPhone every year.
I don’t smoke or drink alcohol or excessive on anything else. I work hard and call it shallow but I just love having the latest Apple Watch and iPhone. It does give my wife and kids great amusement to make fun of my excitement waiting for the September keynote.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Same for me DougFNJ, I upgrade my Apple Watch and iPhone every year.
I don’t smoke or drink alcohol or excessive on anything else. I work hard and call it shallow but I just love having the latest Apple Watch and iPhone. It does give my wife and kids great amusement to make fun of my excitement waiting for the September keynote.

Same

Tech is my hobby so why not I say

Think now after getting SS I can’t go back

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.