Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Is it mostly women wearing the gold stainless steel, or are men wearing it also? I believe the OP’s watch is gold, yes?

I am on my second GSS watch. I had a S4 and sold it for my S5. I am a man. I love the look.
That is my 22k gold necklace, for color reference. This was my S4:

QJudCO3.jpg

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I've gone with Space Black Stainless Steel ever since Series 0, and upgraded every version in the same finish. I always kept my Stainless Steel Link bracelet, I love the combo.
Series 5 I wanted to change it up, and ordered the Space Black Titanium. It is built extremely well, but the shade of color ended up being lighter than I was hoping when put on the Link. I ended up selling that and this weekend purchased the Space Black Stainless Steel. You really cannot go wrong with the finish, and I am loving the California face with the always on. Now I can't wait for the Watch OS update that is needed badly! Everything about this watch is great except for the battery life and the very slight delay on waking up from almost on. They fix those 2 issues, and this will be the best version of the Apple Watch they have put out!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I feel like the series 5 is not as bright as the series 4 . I sold my old watch so I can not put it next to each other but it feels dimmer ( in wake position)

Apple toned down the brightness for the always on display Setting. I always manually adjust my brightness anyways, but they can also tweak the brightness through future software OS updates.

Reactions: Vampire14

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
When someone pays $750+ for a watch and gets $300-400 after barely a year? That is a LOUSY resale value.

Not really, that’s quite normal for tech when using it for a year. You aren’t going to get close to same value. Just not realistic

Reactions: Shan S.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Apple toned down the brightness for the always on display Setting. I always manually adjust my brightness anyways, but they can also tweak the brightness through future software OS updates.
How does the ‘standard’ brightness of the AW5 compare to the AW4 on the lowest brightness setting? I have the AW4 and always turn the brightness all the way down.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I believe brightness is the same hardware-wise but the ambient light sensor they added means most of the time it is dimmer.

Reactions: nordique and PBz

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I believe brightness is the same hardware-wise but the ambient light sensor they added means most of the time it is dimmer.

I think the low-power LED array in the S5 is new - I can't say that I've noticed a significant decrease in brightness vs. my S3; and certainly the screen is plenty bright enough on the middle setting for me.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Reactions: Strangedream

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thanks, that's a super-interesting article.
In fairness, the keynote did spend a lot of time on the LPTO OLED display - enough to make folks think that's the key - but the S4 also had LPTO OLED display and if you look at S5 & S4 spec sheets the display is listed identically.

I'm speculating here but I wonder if the variable lower refresh is utilized even during "wake" times depending on the watch face and complications. That could create some power savings as well, offsetting some of always-on consumption.

All said, I think there's a lot more going on under the hood than has been discussed or published. Time will be the great revealer of how the S5 battery performance relates to S4 and earlier.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Mag/Aluminum polish works like a charm, you just a need a small amount over the scratch, I wouldn't use this to polish the entire watch, I would just use it to get any micro scratches o
Maybe I used it wrong but the Cape Cop cloth didn’t work for me. I make sure to use the bare minimum when I use the crome polish.

The Mag/Aluminum polish works like a charm, you just a need a small amount over the scratch, I wouldn't use this to polish the entire watch, I would just use it to get any micro scratches out. Not sure about using this on Black SS or Gold SS.

Reactions: Shan S. and Soba1

Soba1

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
The Mag/Aluminum polish works like a charm, you just a need a small amount over the scratch, I wouldn't use this to polish the entire watch, I would just use it to get any micro scratches o

The Mag/Aluminum polish works like a charm, you just a need a small amount over the scratch, I wouldn't use this to polish the entire watch, I would just use it to get any micro scratches out. Not sure about using this on Black SS or Gold SS.

I think u are right it can only be used on the silver SS I’m glad I got the SSSB

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You can’t use Mag Polish or any abrasives on the Black stainless watch due to the DLC [Diamond Like Carbon] coating will be tarnished, same thing applies to the Gold stainless, it will tarnish the PVD [Physical Vapor Deposition] coating.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Has anyone on here got a Gold SS and paired it with the tan leather loop? I'm on the fence about getting it and my nearest Apple Store is 40 miles away.

Also, any Gold SS users managed to find any quality replacement connectors that match the Apple Gold SS colour? I love my Apple tan leather strap and the black, but I can't see beyond the Silver SS connectors :)

Thanks!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
One of my favorite bands with the gold stainless is the black leather loop - still using the original one from 2015, but am sure the new one would look great too - tan to me seems to close in color and not enough contrast - love the black vs gold contrast

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
One of my favorite bands with the gold stainless is the black leather loop - still using the original one from 2015, but am sure the new one would look great too - tan to me seems to close in color and not enough contrast - love the black vs gold contrast

Yep I have a black leather loop and it looks great - just thought the tan may look ok as I have the 2015 brown leather strap as well with silver stainless connectors and it looks great...except for the connectors lol.

I have a black Milanese too and that looks awesome.

D26FE35B-60E3-4D36-A7B1-CE6205BC7AEC.jpeg
794DA166-EB0F-420D-96D0-30EA334F0A51.jpeg

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yep I have a black leather loop and it looks great - just thought the tan may look ok as I have the 2015 brown leather strap as well with silver stainless connectors and it looks great...except for the connectors lol.

I have a black Milanese too and that looks awesome.

View attachment 867665 View attachment 867666
Gotcha - that looks like a different band - modern buckle? The leather loop shouldn’t have that stainless steel connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.