Seriously, AT&T people, be honest.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewart715, Jan 11, 2011.

1. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Please honest answers only.

How often do you use voice and data simultaneously when you're NOT connected WiFi network? Think about it. Because 99% of my day, everyday I'm at work or home or a friends house and all three have WiFi.

I am on Verizon with a Droid X and I very comfortably use data and talk at the same time anytime I need to. The only time I'm not near a WiFi network is when I am driving and when I am driving, I am not surfing the web, especially when on a call.

AND to top it off, if you are an Optimum or Time Warner customer, it's likely there is free wifi for your entire county.

I do not think the lack of this feature is a big deal with WiFi literally everywhere. Especially a feature that isn't really used that often to begin with. Look at the commercials Apple has produced. NONE of them are real life situations.

Sorry, but AT&T has nothing but this one teeny thing on Verizon. And this teeny thing doesn't matter to many people, again, because of WiFi.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think the issue is that you get used to having that functionality so you expect it when you're out and about too. I've definitely used it while on the phone and away from wifi. It's come in handy a number of times (too many to count).

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'm not an AT&T customer (don't live in the US), but being able to use data and voice at the same time has come in handy for me, and I don't even make that many phone calls.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

To be honest, I use it quite often. Though I hardly talk on the phone, I usually text a lot more, whenever I am talking on the phone I usually browse the web to look for something or just because I want to. Either put my phone on speaker or use a bluetooth headset and just browse the web, check email and stuff like that. It is very convenient.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

The question was not do you use it. The question was, how often do you use it when you aren't connected to a WiFi network (i.e. home, work).

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I use it pretty regularly- several times a day I would say. But would I accept lousy service in exchange for this feature? No.
    It's easy for me to stay with AT&T for now because I haven't had the bad service/dropped calls that many complain about. But it's why I've said from the beginning that you shop service first and phones second when you are talking about a cell phone provider.
    I also want to see what happens over the course of the next 12-18 months. As the next generation of cell service becomes more widely available, I think it will become easier to compare features and prices with the two US carriers.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You want straight up answer? Always. I've always used it. In my job, and future line of work, this type of multitasking has to be native and working always. So far it has without fail.

9. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

didn't even bother to read your post past "How often do you use voice and data simultaneously when you're NOT connected WiFi network?"

I do it everyday no lie...when talking on the phone with my gal and she's just yapping away I search for apps, I look at the map app while on the phone to confirm my route...I love that I can download music OTA on iTunes while I'm on the phone also...it's really a convenience you can only appreciate if you have the ability to do so

10. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

No one, including you, is understanding the question. I use it all the time too. But do you ALWAYS use it when you're out and about and not near a WiFi point? Because I never had the need to.

11. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

I'm using it right now while on hold. I use it atleast 4x a day maybe more

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I understand the question. To further answer it, I'm always away from a Wi-Fi hotspot or zone or network.

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I used it A LOT, since When I am around Wifi I also got access to others phones and people usually call me there, (Home, Office), when I am on the road or around I get a call, I usually take that time since I got my phone out and Check email, check maps if driving, etc.

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What part of my response gave you that impression?

16. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

And your point is?

17. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I like the option and I DO use it a fair amount, but if AT&T service in my area was lousy, or I already had a family plan on Verizon and it was difficult to switch, I wouldn't sweat it. I could live without it.

18. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

I've used it four times in 2.5 years, and a couple of those were just for the novelty.

I'd much rather have a phone that actually functions where I live and work. AT&T has been way to slow in addressing their network in my area of AZ.

19. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Honest answer... at least once or twice a day.
    Great for boring conference calls. I can listen and surf at the same time.:D

And to clarify, my company does not allow mobile devices on it's WiFi network, so I have no choice but to use 3G.

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Comes in handy sometimes when you're on the phone at times and need to look up an email, info, etc. I use it pretty often.

22. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I use it all the time i keep my blue tooth headset on and check emails or go on the web

23. QuarterSwede, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Let me quote myself in the second post in this thread:
    Apparently you can't read either.

24. Zcott macrumors 68020

I use it on speakerphone when talking to boring people who talk at me.

25. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

While I haven't used this feature a whole lot, the times that I have used it has been great. I've used it maybe, 20-30 times since getting my IP4 in June '10. For me, while it's not a HUGE feature, it is a very handy little function that I'd probably miss were I to switch over to VZ...which I'm not.