Seriously concerned about the problems with the new iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GekiRed, Sep 11, 2010.

1. GekiRed macrumors regular

Is it me or am I the only one who's worried about the fact that the new iPod Touch seems to have a lot of problems with it since it came out a few days ago.

So far, the following problems have been revealed:
    - Light Leak from the sides
    - Severe Battery Drainage
    - Overheating
    - Clicking Sound when recording video - According to the thread starter; BJB Productions, the clicking has been narrowed down to it only happening when on a locked wifi network.

What's the odds that as time goes by, other problems will reveal themselves with the new iPod Touch.

I know from reading various threads in this forum that Apple cut down on costs in various areas, but what's the odds that they've cut costs down so much that a lot of problems are being created as a result.

It's like this - If you pay a premium price for a premium product, whether it's straight from a official store or online, you expect a product that's worth the cost of the item and the brand name itself, whether it's bought by an adult or a child who's saved up their hard earned money for it.

I admit that I want to buy a iPod Touch for my studies at university which are due to start in over a week's time, but now I'm seriously considering buying a second-hand 3rd Gen iPod Touch instead of buying the new one if these problems aren't fixed any time soon.

In the meantime, I'd like to find out (without any snarky comments or flaming, thank you very much!) what people think of the fact that the new iPod Touch seems to have a lot of problems within it revealed in such a short space of time.

2. ultio macrumors newbie

ultio

Well, all I can say is that I don't have any of those problems listed above, I'm happy. Don't forget that people with problems post a lot more often than people that don't have any problems.

3. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

I don't have any of those problems, and people who post after a launch disproportionately do so if they have a problem with a product. This forum is a top search result for ipod touch forum, too. Buy one and if you have a problem with it, you can likely get a full refund from Apple, and even if just don't like it, the restocking fee is only 10%.

Apple.com has refurb 3G 32GB's for $229, so knock yourself out if you wish.

4. GekiRed thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you're one of the lucky ones.:D

burgundyyears; I can understand where you're coming from, but at the same time, shouldn't people who are members here be allowed to let off steam here and explain why they're having problems with their shiny new toy.

I know if I paid full-price for a product, I'd be fecking pissed if I found out that it wasn't working properly as soon as it came out of the box and I'd have to waste valuable time that I could be using for study purposes to get a refund or get a replacement.

I don't know what kind of consumer laws they have in the US, but here in the UK we have a law called "The Sale of Goods Act" which clearly states that if a product is sold to a customer that is later proven to be clearly not fit for the purpose for which it was intended for, the customer is entitled to either a full refund or a replacement depending on various factors including whether said customer has a receipt/original packaging, etc.

BTW, I also know from reading this board that if I bought a new one and I had a problem with it, I could get a replacement, but what if the same problem happened again and again...

5. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

- Light Leak from the sides

This has been a problem with all iPod and iPhone models. Whether widespread of isolated, early models of every generation have seen this issue and should not be regarded at something foreign.

- Severe Battery Drainage

I believe we have decided that the battery issue is a result of iOS4. Leaving apps "frozen" in the drawer still makes them use up a bit of memory, and will whittle down on the battery. Push notifications, for example, are also being blamed for the battery drainage issue.

- Overheating

"Getting hot" is not overheating. When the device fails to function due to internal heat, that's overheating. All devices get hot, some more than others. When you use a device for hours on end, it's going to get hot. Your computer gets hot, but it has fans. Your iPod is like a little computer- but without the fans. It gets hot.

- Clicking Sound when recording video

If I recall correctly, this was fixed by a simple restore out of DFU.

6. cityathrt macrumors regular

Clicking sound is not fixed by a DFU restore unfortunately. I've gone through three restores and one DFU, courtesy of the Genius Bar.

7. EllieV macrumors 6502

Nope. You just blew it out if proportion. Too dramatic...

8. GekiRed thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I supposedly blew things out of proportion.

I take it then that you're basically calling everyone who has said that they're having problems with the new iPod Touch a liar? Am I right?

EDIT: Then again, I can see from your signature why you'd say something like that...

9. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

I have a 4G and don't have ANY of the problems you mentioned in the OP. Are YOU calling ME a liar??? (HINT: I am DEFINITELY NOT an Apple fanboi or Apple apologist. I just call them as I see them. ) My touch doesn't overheat. it doesn't drain the battery excessively. No issues with light leakage. Video recordings have a distinct HISS that masks any clicking that MIGHT be going on, but hey it's not a professional video recorder, so I'm not too concerned about that.

10. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Buy it from Costco and you get a 90-day return policy with no restocking fee.

11. GekiRed thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for asking this, but where did you get the idea from that I was referring to you in my last post when I was actually referring to GregR who accused me of blowing things out of proportion.

In any case, you're one of the lucky ones who doesn't have a problem with their new iPod Touch.

12. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

I didn't say that you referred to me in your previous post, but now that I came forward to say I've no issues, i'm wondering if now you consider me a liar also.

EDIT: upon re-reading your posts, I know why I wrote my previous post--to turn the tables on YOUR comment about liars.

13. GekiRed thread starter macrumors regular

I'm seriously confused here! Why would I consider you a liar for being honest that you've had no problems with your iPod Touch?

In fact, I didn't even mention anywhere in the thread that people who said that they didn't have any problems with their new iPod Touches were liars.

(In any case, I need to go to bed as I have to enrol at university today - Yes, they do enrolments on a Sunday! *Gack* And I need as much sleep as possible!)

14. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

perhaps you missed my edit on the last post?

15. MicroByte macrumors 6502

Count me in as another person with no problems with his iPod touch.

16. GekiRed thread starter macrumors regular

So why do you have a problem with my comment about liars on this board if I may ask?

17. Carouser macrumors 65816

How is 'you are blowing things out of proportion' equivalent to 'everyone who reports problems with the new iPod is a liar'? Can you answer this question? GregR said the first thing, you said he was pretty much saying the second thing. Can you explain this for us?

(ps his signature is sarcastic, come on)

18. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Am I the only one who doesn't care if the Touch gets thicker?

Oopps meant to make a new thread

19. GekiRed thread starter macrumors regular

Can we kindly get this topic back on track please?

20. Carouser macrumors 65816

Yes, of course. You asked:

To answer your question, I agree with GregR. I think you are blowing things out of proportion.

21. 2000ContourSVT macrumors member

Thankfully I have none of these problems with my new iPod Touch.

22. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

The OP keeps mentioning the ones with no problems are the lucky ones. Actually those with problems are the ones that are unlucky. The majority of those who buy an iPod touch don't have problems. The ones that do have problems mostly come on here and spout negatives left and right.

23. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Did you expect them to come here and lavish praise on Apple for giving them those problems?

24. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Absolutely not. What are you trying to say? ...

25. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

For the people that are having no problems, where did u get ur iPod?