Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
In a way, I feel kinda like you OP. There are a lot of posts here and on other forums about the initial problems of the iPT4. But like someone has already said, when people have a problem, they tend to bitch about it to whoever will listen/read. I'm not an Apple Fan-boy so I'm not gonna say your an idiot or buy it or shut up newb. But if it is gonna bother you too much then wait a while and see if the initial problems were blown out of proportion, and go from there.

Best of Luck!

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
In a way, I feel kinda like you OP. There are a lot of posts here and on other forums about the initial problems of the iPT4. But like someone has already said, when people have a problem, they tend to bitch about it to whoever will listen/read.

Exactly.

People who receive an OK iPod touch don't post and say "Hey! My iPod came and it's OK!"

Only the people who get problems post and complain. Quite frankly, those people need to just take their iPod to Apple and get it exchanged. It's simple.

If all the OK iPods got posted about, this forum would likely get overwhelmed.

cityathrt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
...as someone who has the clicking problem in her iPt4 and is certainly not endlessly whining about it, just trying to figure out how to fix it... I bought mine straight from the Apple store. Day of the launch.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
This thread is a good example of why buying ANY brand new device the day it is released is a bad idea.

- There will always be a software bug or two they didn't find during in-house testing. Early adopters are doing the REAL beta testing.
- Manufacturing is new for a new device, and the pressure of fulfilling initial demand leads to flaws in production.
- Price will never be higher, but might be lower later.

As for complaining... I'm all for it. It was when we had no means of publically spreading the word about defective products that product quality was the lowest. Think American autos before the internet.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
I don't know what kind of consumer laws they have in the US, but here in the UK we have a law called "The Sale of Goods Act" which clearly states that if a product is sold to a customer that is later proven to be clearly not fit for the purpose for which it was intended for, the customer is entitled to either a full refund or a replacement depending on various factors including whether said customer has a receipt/original packaging, etc.

Ahh, don't ya just love the armchair lawyer! :rolleyes:

You'll find that if you did try to use "fitness for purpose" as a legal argument the judge would just laugh at you. "My iPod has minor imperfections" is not the same as being unfit for purpose. Battery life depends on what you're doing with it, and light leaking from the screen certainly doesn't make it unusable, nor is it uncommon on consumer electronics - look in the back of any LCD TV and you'll probably be able to see light which is leaking from the panel, for example.

If its a problem, take it back. If all the replacements have a problem, then maybe the iPod is just not for you.

David

ryan0402

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
I have had the light leak on my 2g and it did not bother me at all it isn't a problem. Unless you do not clean it then dust enters in through the crack and goes in the screen and electronics which may lead to your device dying prematurley

Bummer....I wished i didnt see this thread. For me, returning the touch would be an issue IF i bought it at Costco USA.

As I am in Canada, if I plan to buy the touch at Costco USA in a few weeks, assuming the local visiting Costco will have stock I will have to pay in US funds. There is sales tax in the state where I plan to buy. Costco doesnt allow exchanges, but refunds. I would not have to worry about customs when returning back to Canada as the touch would be within my allowable travel exemption.

If I have problems with the touch, I would either have to drive down to the closest US Costco and return the touch and they would return what I paid for it as I would have the receipt.

If I wanted the touch at the closest neighbouring US Costco, I would have to ensure that Costco has stock. I would then have to pay the higher local state tax and deal with the hassle with Canada customs about importing the device back to Canada.

If I returned the device to a Canadian Costco then I would get dinged currency exchange rate as Costco Canada only refunds in CdN funds.

If I go to Apple, then I will likely get a refurbed touch which would bother me. If all the problems mentioned above happened after 90 days, all this would be a moot point as I would have to deal with Apple anyways. Decisions....decisions....decisions. :D

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
This iPod touch is my first iOS device. I have been really enjoying it although the limitations of the software make me realize if I get a smartphone it probably won't be an iPhone. Anyway I had no idea the new iPods were having problems until I checked this forum. I don't have any light leakage or battery issues (in fact my battery is pretty awesome). But I did just check the video clicking issue and it is definitely there. Not trying to invalidate anyone else's problems. Just wanted to give the op one more example.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
Btw; regarding my topic you linked there...the clicking has been narrowed down to it only happens when on a locked wifi network. :confused:

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
There's a green spot under fluorescent light too. :confused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFSV94mS0Q4
safe_image.php

Campington

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Returning my iPod Touch 4G

Pretty sad but I'm a collector of all things Apple and have been since 2003. Love my iPad and 3GS iPhone, but I think that there are major problems with new Touch. Think that build and quality have been compromised to meet target price. First time I have ever felt that Apple product felt cheap. Had it two days was listening to music for 1 hour in bed with Touch fully charged. Stopped play, put it in standby. Following morning completely drained. Had to plug it into power source to restore, battery then instantly read as 50% power. Following night used it with power cable attached. Today disabled push notifications played 1 hour of music, no EQ and 1minute standby, 30 minute video and checked 4 emails. Battery was in the red. Seems lot of people are having similar problems.

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
Pretty sad but I'm a collector of all things Apple and have been since 2003. Love my iPad and 3GS iPhone, but I think that there are major problems with new Touch. Think that build and quality have been compromised to meet target price. First time I have ever felt that Apple product felt cheap. Had it two days was listening to music for 1 hour in bed with Touch fully charged. Stopped play, put it in standby. Following morning completely drained. Had to plug it into power source to restore, battery then instantly read as 50% power. Following night used it with power cable attached. Today disabled push notifications played 1 hour of music, no EQ and 1minute standby, 30 minute video and checked 4 emails. Battery was in the red. Seems lot of people are having similar problems.

DOUBLE TAP THE HOME BUTTON. CLOSE THE APPS THAT HAVE BEEN SET IN THE MULTITASKING DRAWER. THEY ARE SUCKING YOUR BATTERY!

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
Ahh, don't ya just love the armchair lawyer! :rolleyes:

You'll find that if you did try to use "fitness for purpose" as a legal argument the judge would just laugh at you. "My iPod has minor imperfections" is not the same as being unfit for purpose. Battery life depends on what you're doing with it, and light leaking from the screen certainly doesn't make it unusable, nor is it uncommon on consumer electronics - look in the back of any LCD TV and you'll probably be able to see light which is leaking from the panel, for example.

If its a problem, take it back. If all the replacements have a problem, then maybe the iPod is just not for you.

David

I'll forgive you this once seeing as American law is way different from UK Law!

And seeing as I'm a darn nice guy, I'll even post you a link to a page with The Sale of Goods Act so you can take a long, nice look at it!:D

Information on "The Sale of Goods Act, 1979"

On another note, who are YOU to say whether a iPod Touch is for me or for newbies to buy? One of Steve Jobs' Turtleneck Police?

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010

You have a haywire process running in the background. Double tap to see what's running or on your quick run list. Hold a process down until it's jiggling and click on minus to kill it. Most likely candidates are programs that keep wifi active 100% of the time. Skype does it. I'll bet some IM programs do it too, but I don't know firsthand. Push notifications probably not the issue.

My 4G's last charge just went over 74 hours. What you are experiencing is not remotely normal.

Bitcrusher

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2010
Mine is perfect, no clicking on video, no light leaks, no nothing, no "overheating" while playing epic citadel, nothing... it just works:apple:

Cuz03

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
I have he clicking sound and was just wondering if apple's 1 year warranty would cover this cuz I wanna wait and see if it is solved in an update

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I have he clicking sound and was just wondering if apple's 1 year warranty would cover this cuz I wanna wait and see if it is solved in an update

To me, it seems like it would fall into the category of the iPhone's proximity sensor issue. Once Apple acknowledges it publicly (if they actually do), I'm sure they will announce that a software update will take care of it. Whether or not a software fix is actually possible, they'll cross that bridge when they come to it. But until the acknowledge it publicy, I'm sure you can get an exchange.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I do find it interesting how Apple's QC seems to be lacking this year. Both the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 have more than their fair share of issues. Perhaps it's time Apple switches from Foxconn to a better manufacturer (perhaps US based?). I'd gladly pay more money to have a guaranteed quality product. and I've got to wonder if it really would cost apple that much more, since I'd imagine they wouldn't have to supply nearly as many warranty exchanges as they currently do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.