Seriously...LANDSCAPE typing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by miamialley, Dec 21, 2008.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Landscape email and text messaging...WHEN??

And why hasn't Apple done this yet?

2. superspud macrumors regular

im with you on this one... i like texting on my iphone but more often or not i hit the N button rather than space... i guess i have fat fingers :(

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I can't imagine the coding behind this little tweak taking too much effort...

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Email i could see, but texting would be kind of hard. Apple would have to reorganize a lot so everything could fit and you could still see the convo.

But yes, this is an extremely easy thing to fix on Apples part.

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Oh, c'mon! Apple's gotta leave us with SOMETHING to bitch about.

...no, seriously.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Seriously, NO!

C'mon by now you must be used to the normal keyboard. Whenever I type sideways I'm always typing gibberish and the iPhone doesn't even know how to correct it.

7. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Another "no."

How do you guys type? I mainly use my left thumb and occasionally let my right index finger jump in for the keys to the right. I can type fairly fast this way in the standard (i.e. portrait) layout.

In fact, I'd much prefer portrait over landscape, which would hide a lot of the text area when the keyboard is displayed.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Seriously... GET OVER IT.

Complaining on an internet forum is not going to make it happen any sooner. If you want to complain, complain to Apple - at least there's a small chance that someone who matters will actually read them.

Or, be productive, jailbreak your phone, and install one of the many landscape SMS programs available on Cydia.

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Your attached image only strengthens the idea that landscape typing is a ridiculous one. You can hold the iPhone and type with one hand in the portrait mode. Not in the landscape mode.

10. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

I have to use portrait mode because I broke my right arm lol

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I can type much fast with two fingers. And it is much more comfortable to hold the iPhone in landscape.

To me, not being able to type in landscape is a hole Apple has yet to fill. Every other touch screen phone can do it. Why not give us the option? It's not like you have to use it.

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

Why not let people have a choice rather than call it ridiculous? Just because you like to type the regular way does not mean that it is not useful to other people. I have large hands and prefer landscape typing as I use both thumbs to type. I use other applications to create my e-mail (Easy Writer) just to have it. Apple should create it and allow folks to have a choice.

13. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

It's not like you cannot type with two fingers in the portrait mode, is it?

More features mean more time required for design, development, testing and debugging. It usually means bigger code, too, which would strain the already small amount of memory on the iPhone.

14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I can type with both fingers in portrait but there is more room and it is easier in landscape.

And Apple has wasted enough time with stupid updates. At least this would be of use to some people.

15. The General macrumors 601

Agreed. I am at least 3 times faster on the smaller keyboard than I am on the wide one in Safari. I have to move my fingers further, thus reducing the speed at which I am capable of typing. I don't even have to look at the keyboard when I type on the small one.

The only thing this would introduce to me is annoying accidental rotation when I'm laying in bed trying to text. If they add it, they'd better have an on/off in Settings so I can turn it off!

16. ex8886 macrumors member

Typing in landscape is much faster if you're holding it with two hands. But to your other point, I really hope they add a "turn off landscape" option to Safari. Because when you're laying down, it's switching between landscape and portrait mode, making it pretty hard to read.

17. The General macrumors 601

Maybe you are, but I am really slow on the landscape keyboard because I have to move my thumbs so far. It's really hard to type for me. I use both hands with I type on the portrait keyboard, usually I use both thumbs, but I use my left thumb and right pointer finger when I need to go really fast.

18. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Future Predections: Haiti will have a massive Earthquake in 2010. Apple will release a new iPhone on June 24th, 2010 called the iPhone 4. It's going to have a gyroscope and retina display...mark my words.

Oh, and Gary Coleman dies...

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Portrait is fine for me. If Apple brings us landscape that would be nice, but I doubt I'd use it much.

20. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

It should be an option. That way everybody is happy.

21. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Right, because street view was sooooo helpful, beneficial... and non-superfluous to the "already small amount of memory on the iPhone." :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind landscape mode, but I'm already incredibly used the portrait. I don't think landscape wouldn't allow for no room in the SMS app, besides how much of the convo do you really need to read when you're replying? Beejive did an excellent job at this, I think... works nicely.

I do have to add that in landscape I feel like the 'keys' are too far, but that's probably just because I'm used to portrait.

22. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    +1

If it was originally an option it may have become my primary typing method. but at this point there is no reason to change. I just wanna see it to shut up all these idiots.

Seriously who CAN'T type with two thumbs in portrait mode? it is NOT that hard!

23. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I hate when people come in here saying that landscape is dumb and we don't need it. Honestly you have your way of doing things, I have mine. Just because you don't need/want it doesn't mean everyone agrees with you.

I think landscape texting would be awesome. I really like the keyboard in Safari.

Also, get serious about adding more code to the iPhone and it bogging down the memory. Adding some code thats already built in to another app would add almost nothing and would not affect performance at all.

People really need to understand on these forums that people want/need different things. It happens in every thread involving video/MMS/copy&paste/landscape text and email, and every other feature missing on the iPhone, and it gets VERY annoying.

24. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I have to agree here. I jailbroke my phone specifically to get landscape SMS - for me, it's substantially faster than portrait mode. If other people don't want to use landscape, that's fine, but don't knock others who do want to use it.

That said, I reiterate my earlier point: stop complaining about it on an internet forum and email Apple!