Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Essentially, what I'm saying is: It's not the phone, or the iPod, or the glove compartment's fault, it is the driver's fault. People need to use their better judgment to decide when it is or isn't a safe time to type a text message or change songs on their iPod.

Absolutely.

Getting back on track, I agree with Spaz. I find it next to impossible to type in portrait mode when laying down. I can't balance the phone! Landscape would make it much, much easier.

Bryan

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I found this thread from a couple of years ago. Interesting now to read all you people saying how stupid it was to want landscape typing. I trust none of you use that feature. :rolleyes:

macbd

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
I got through almost the entire first page before I realized this was from 2008. I kept thinking WTF are these people talking about?

I actually though landscape was there from the beginning. It was funny though reading the posts where people were trying to make excuses for Apple.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I got through almost the entire first page before I realized this was from 2008. I kept thinking WTF are these people talking about?

I actually though landscape was there from the beginning. It was funny though reading the posts where people were trying to make excuses for Apple.

I know, it's like proof of how to identify a fanboy!

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I found this thread from a couple of years ago. Interesting now to read all you people saying how stupid it was to want landscape typing. I trust none of you use that feature. :rolleyes:

only like typing in portrait myself... whelp see you later

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You can't type with two thumbs in portrait mode :confused:

I'm 6'4" 210 lbs. Needless to say, I have huge hands. It's not possible to comfortably type with two hands in portrait.

It's still not completely comfortable for me in landscape either but it's better.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I was right there with people asking for landscape typing. The funny thing is now that we have it, I never use it. I think I got so used to not using it in landscape that it feels more natural that way.

On top of the fact that text messages are hard to see when you have more than a couple lines to type and the keyboard is up.

But, ya, I'm glad we have options. It never hurts to have options :D

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I'm 6'4" 210 lbs. Needless to say, I have huge hands. It's not possible to comfortably type with two hands in portrait.

It's still not completely comfortable for me in landscape either but it's better.

ahh gotcha!

djgulia

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010

haha me too. I prefer typing in landscape if I'm tying a long email, but for a quick text, I'm cool with portrait. I make less mistakes in landscape though, so I look less of an idiot with fewer wrong auto-corrections.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I remember this thread 2 years ago. I loved seeing how the apple fanboys like normal would defend apple on not including it but quickly changed their point of view when apple allowed it.

Just like they argue that a rotation lock was pointless on the iPod and iPhone. Now that we have no one is bashing it.
Not everyone uses landscape keyboard but those who do really like them. I like the landscape keyboard but then again I am 6' 4" so I have slightly larger hands.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
That it clearly was not 'ridiculous' as Apple implemented it and many people use the feature. That is inarguable. That's it.

Yeah, I personally hate the landscape keyboard, but arguing that it shouldn't be there at all?! That seems a bit too fanboyish, even if they personally don't use it

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal

Thank you.
+1

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
It is to me. The very first thing I did when I upgraded to iOS 4 was lock the screen rotation. ;)

And to this day, I have probably tried typing mail and other things in landscape mode once or twice. :)

Is the lock feature unique to the newer phones? I have a 3G and I can't seem to find it in the menu. I would love to lock out landscape mode. Thanks.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I was very happy when we got landscape. I use it for the majority of my texting and emailing. Honestly when I bought my 3G I was pretty disappointed that landscape was not yet available. I don't even remember what it was like to use an iPhone before we got 3.0

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use landscape for typing longer emails, etc. and profile for quick messages or texts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.