Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacPaw today announced that Setapp will be available as an alternative app marketplace on the iPhone in the EU starting in April. Those wanting access to the beta version can join a waitlist, and developers interested in the platform can apply on this page.

Setapp-iOS.jpg

Alternative app marketplaces are among the several changes that Apple is implementing in the EU with iOS 17.4, in order to comply with the Digital Markets Act.

On the Mac, Setapp is a popular subscription-based service that provides users with access to a curated collection of dozens of popular apps for $9.99 per month. This includes apps like Ulysses, iStat Menus, Spark Mail, Unite, Yoink, and more. Starting with iOS 17.4 and later, Setapp will be available directly on the iPhone in the EU.

MacPaw said the Setapp Mobile beta will offer a "carefully selected assortment of apps":
Productivity and Business Tools: Boost your efficiency with tools for managing your schedule, staying on track, personalizing your internet experience, and much more.

Creative and Design Software: Unlock your creative potential with intuitive tools designed for photo animation, document creation, and more.

Lifestyle and Productivity: Improve your daily routines with apps that help you build better habits, stay updated with the latest news, and efficiently manage your notes and ideas.

Utility Apps: Make everyday tasks easier with applications that enable you to share files effortlessly, monitor your spending, and streamline your idea organization process.

Specialized Professional Tools: Engage with advanced applications tailored for detailed document searches, comprehensive database management, and more.
MacPaw is one of the first companies to announce plans to offer an alternative app marketplace on the iPhone in the EU, along with Epic Games. Setapp subscribers on the Mac can already access a collection of iOS apps with a QR code system, and the alternative app marketplace will offer a more streamlined experience.

Apple is expected to release iOS 17.4 on or before March 6, the deadline for complying with the Digital Markets Act. For additional details about the changes coming to the App Store and more in the EU, read our previous coverage. The changes do not apply outside of the EU, nor do they apply to iPadOS in any country.

Article Link: Setapp Will Be One of iPhone's First Alternative App Marketplaces in EU

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Don’t you know the risks of viruses, your information being stolen, and your life being ruined! /s
Exactly. I’ve been a Setapp user for many years. I trust them and I’m sure they will respect this. One malware app in their store and their reputation is destroyed.

Also, the haters do realize devs are required to sell the same version of their apps in the different stores? So it’s simply impossible to have a clean App Store version and a dirty third party version.

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
If I didn't already own TablePlus, I would totally use Setapp. If you're interested in 2-3 of those apps, the monthly subscription is easily cheaper than each app's own subscription.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
From my understanding of the new rules, Setapp will have to allow other developers to submit to their app to their store as well:
  • Agree to build an app whose primary purpose is discovery and distribution of apps, including apps from other developers.
So essentially it can't be for only their own apps.
And with that...some developers might learn they were better off before this. Between running their own storefront and being required to host other developers' apps on said storefront...there's going to be some backend costs, which is going to require spending money they didn't previously need to. Running your own marketplace isn't free and neither is being required to host apps that aren't even yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.