Seven Years Ago Today: Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple, Tim Cook Named His Successor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today marks the seventh anniversary of the late Steve Jobs resigning as CEO of Apple. In a letter addressed to Apple's Board of Directors, dated August 24, 2011, Jobs strongly recommended then-COO Tim Cook be named his successor.

[​IMG]

Letter from Steve Jobs:
    Apple's Board of Directors approved the request, effective immediately, with Jobs elected Chairman of the Board. Jobs reportedly remained closely involved with Apple's strategic decision-making until passing away October 5, 2011.

Article Link: Seven Years Ago Today: Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple, Tim Cook Named His Successor

2. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

Sad Day. Apple has never been the same nor will it be.

3. PwrSuprUsr macrumors newbie

PwrSuprUsr

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

From a business and a shareholder perspective, Jobs' recommendation was spot on, Cook has done amazing things, and made Apple into the cell phone giant that it is today.

From my perspective as a long time Apple fan, he is no Jobs, and my love for Apple has diminished to the point that for the first time since the mid-90's, I am strongly looking elsewhere for my electronic needs.

5. yesjam, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018

yesjam macrumors regular

Tim Cook is not a "Steve Jobs". And those of us who continue hold the Steve Jobs's vision in high regard should be thankful for that. Were Tim Cook a "Steve Jobs", the Apple of today would be radically different than the Apple of seven years ago, because to be a "Steve Jobs" is to be a radical and militant thinker with a distinctly personal vision. Tim Cook was and has been the best choice to see Steve Jobs's vision through. Because the person we admired was the Steve Jobs. Not just any "Steve Jobs".

6. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

It is unfortunate what happened to Mr. Jobs. However, Mr. Cook has more than aptly stepped into a tough job and showed the world and its' doubters and naysayers, the stuff he is made of by growing apples business tremendously.

7. AngerDanger, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Apple is nothing like it would’ve been if Jobs were still around. I know this because I’m from an alternate timeline in which this very thing happened.

11 years of aging in a single GIF:

frame_2.gif

8. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Is there something special about the 7th anniversary?

9. yesjam macrumors regular

In fairness to Tim, that picture is from 2007, four years before he became CEO.

10. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I think it is.

11. UKPoliticsGuy macrumors regular

12. yesjam macrumors regular

I disagree. What are your reasons for thinking so?

13. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

True. The company was never this prosperous under Steve Jobs.

14. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

15. calstanford macrumors regular

16. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

He seems like a pretty solid successor. I don't think Apple changed much. They still kinda do whatever they want, regardless of consumer pressure or demand. From a lot of points it's admirable. But on the other hand, we all want what we want. So it's fun to complain. lol.

17. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

18. wigby macrumors 68000

It couldn't go any other way though, could it? The longtime fans feel alienated by changes to the entire tech industry and Apple as it adjusts to those changes. But they are far outnumbered by the newer fans of Apple that have been brought in by Apple's success and growth. And then there's the even smaller contingent of people like me who were there since the late 70s and still there because we believe Apple's mission hasn't changed at all, only the leadership.

19. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Could I send you some money to buy a modern-tech iPad Mini and iPhone (both WITH headphone jacks and dongle-free)... and a new Jobsian iMac and MBpro too (also generally NOT needing any dongles for business use purposes)? And can you check UPS or Fedex delivery across dimensions?;)

20. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

"I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it"

The biggest mistake Steve Jobs ever made.

Complete lack of innovation.

Poorly designed Hardware.

Shoddy after sales service.

The shareholder is doing well though.

21. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

No matter who had replaced Jobs, Apple would be a different company today and that person would be just as displeasing as Cook is to his detractors. At least with Cook, the company is wildly successful and still around so those of us who prefer Apple products in various tech categories continue to be able to purchase them.

22. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    It's the one that is today and somebody needed a story to write. ;)

23. cashville2400, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018

cashville2400 macrumors regular

cashville2400

A sad day! Tim is only better at making money. Every thing else, meh. Jobs knew this though, he loved his way of controlling the supply chain and I think had a lot to do with letting him run things. We can criticize Tim for a lot, but he has done a good job keeping Apple making tons of money.