Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
I'm sorry guys :eek: I have been extremely busy with school and work lately that it just slipped my mind. The only reason I even replied here is because it reminded me when it went to the top of the page! I will try to give an official impression soon.

And thanks again jbromer for doing the trade with me! Have you installed your PS?

Kenji458

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
SGP Ultra Optics

Pictures:
DSC01659.jpg

DSC01661.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

DSC01834.jpg

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I'm sorry guys :eek: I have been extremely busy with school and work lately that it just slipped my mind. The only reason I even replied here is because it reminded me when it went to the top of the page! I will try to give an official impression soon.

And thanks again jbromer for doing the trade with me! Have you installed your PS?

Not yet, waiting for my e13ctron case, and will install it when that arrives...

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Just got a new white iPhone :) so that gave me an excuse to try this screen protector. I had the SGP Anti-Fingerprint on my old iPhone 4.

This one is practically clear in comparison. I don't feel like there is a screen protector on there (visually) most of the time. At certain angles you can kind of see the matrix.

Here's to hoping it is as durable as the anti-fingerprint was!

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
After another couple of weeks using this, I have to say that I like it less and less. That odd texture is still there and while it's not overly annoying, it's still very weird. The biggest problem I have is that it's really ***** hard to clean. With this screen protector it's not a matter of easily wiping away any fingerprints/oil. You really have to rub at it to make the stuff go away and even then it's more than likely going to just smudge more. And when the protector is all smudged up and everything, it looks terrible. I'm sure it cleans fine if you have some sort of solution around but I'm not going to carry that in my pocket all the time. In any event, I'm considering switching protectors yet again even though I really don't want to go to the effort.

Completely agree. I was in love with this protector when I applied it a couple months ago. Seems like it repelled fingerprints much better, or maybe I just imagined it. Now I'm always trying to rub fingerprints out and it always looks cloudy and dirty, I don't know what happened to it but I don't like it nearly as much as I did when I first got it.

lansi23

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Completely agree. I was in love with this protector when I applied it a couple months ago. Seems like it repelled fingerprints much better, or maybe I just imagined it. Now I'm always trying to rub fingerprints out and it always looks cloudy and dirty, I don't know what happened to it but I don't like it nearly as much as I did when I first got it.

totally agree with u. at the start, it was the best ever.
finding it almost impossible to clean after a while.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011

Count me in the same boat :( I really loved it when first applied and I took it off about a week ago. Very disappointed with it. But at least I didn't spend and money on it (thanks j!)

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I have the Ultra Optics on my iPad 2 and love it, so I decided to try it on my iPhone as well. It seems to be worse at fingerprint reduction on the iPhone for some reason. The clarity is awesome, though. I'll give it a week or two before deciding whether or not to switch back to the Ultra Fine.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Count me in the same boat :( I really loved it when first applied and I took it off about a week ago. Very disappointed with it. But at least I didn't spend and money on it (thanks j!)

No problem, but sorry you didn't like it... Sounds like everyone has the same impression. Good at first, not so good after a little time...

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
No problem, but sorry you didn't like it... Sounds like everyone has the same impression. Good at first, not so good after a little time...

Yeah man, pretty disappointed. Wish I had that PS antiglare now :)

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
The PS anti-glare gets pretty greasy in my experience. I'd go with the SGP ultra fine if anti-fingerprint is your goal.

Nah I've used PS antiglare exclusively for awhile (since my 3G). I know how it is and it's perfect for me :)

lansi23

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
The PS anti-glare gets pretty greasy in my experience. I'd go with the SGP ultra fine if anti-fingerprint is your goal.

i really want to try the sgp ultra fine but it uses some really strong adhesive and bubbles are almost impossible to remove. i gave up on that.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
i really want to try the sgp ultra fine but it uses some really strong adhesive and bubbles are almost impossible to remove. i gave up on that.

That's just not true based on my experiences. The adhesive is hardly strong at all (it's similar in strength to say PowerSupport's static cling). Bubbles push out easily with the provided squeegee and dust comes off easily with tape (scotch or packing tape works better than the provided stickers).

lansi23

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
That's just not true based on my experiences. The adhesive is hardly strong at all (it's similar in strength to say PowerSupport's static cling). Bubbles push out easily with the provided squeegee and dust comes off easily with tape (scotch or packing tape works better than the provided stickers).

i think you may be confused with the ultra fine and the anti fingerprint.
the anti fingerprint uses static like the powersupport. the ultra fine uses some really strong adhesive. i know cos i used both. sgp no longer sells the anti fingerprint.

Windstalker

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011

I completely agree with you. It seems like the fingerprints or grease starts to get trapped between those "micro-lenses".

I tried to wipe it off with my cleaning cloth, but it still doesn't go away!

Then, I sprayed some liquid to clean the film. Aha! Now it looks as clear and no-fingerprinty as it originally was.

I wanna see how long this effect would last. I'll give you an update on it

Jusfer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
Structure (vs mirror-like surface) means that oils, grease, grit will always find a way to cling to the "valleys" while all you can do is polish the "hill tops".

I don't have this film, but I know a bit about structures and their effects.

After many alternatives, I have now settled on an incase (which has protruding side walls protecting the front glass from direct contact) and a :eek: naked screen. Just a little bit of caution and common sense are better protectors than anything else I've tried.

Cheers!

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Structure (vs mirror-like surface) means that oils, grease, grit will always find a way to cling to the "valleys" while all you can do is polish the "hill tops".

I don't have this film, but I know a bit about structures and their effects.

After many alternatives, I have now settled on an incase (which has protruding side walls protecting the front glass from direct contact) and a :eek: naked screen. Just a little bit of caution and common sense are better protectors than anything else I've tried.

Cheers!

Caution and common sense will protect from scratches, bit you will lose the oleophobic coating on the glass without a protector. Lots of threads about this around the forums...

Jusfer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
Catch 22 then. Why protect something if you then can't use it. And if you protect the film with a protector, whose oleophobic film wears out and needs to be protected or replaced frequently, you end up with a sandwich as thick as you want, or have bought into the oil lamp racket :D

My father believed in protecting his nice teak wood table surface so it wouldn't get scratched (and as a result, you couldn't see it, so why buy teak?). Same with the screen.

I will use it naked, and if it ever gets too fingerprinty for me, I will need a protector that wears out. Great protector that!

Last edited:

BodegaBay

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
the anti fingerprint uses static like the powersupport. the ultra fine uses some really strong adhesive. i know cos i used both. sgp no longer sells the anti fingerprint.

Thanks for this. I was wondering why SGP listed an "Ultra Fine" but no "Ultra Fine Anti-fingerprint" option. I wonder why they stopped offering the AF. The Optics as described and opined in this thread helped me determine that it's not the product I'm looking for. I'm willing to lose some Retina Display clarity for true anti-fingerprint qualities. Thought I would go with the SGP but looks like Power Support Anti-glare HD is now the best option

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010

I have used both, too. The adhesive seems about the same to me... Maybe you just got a bad one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.