Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new iPhone 13 Pro models support 4K ProRes video recording, but there's a catch if you want to capture video at the highest quality - you need an iPhone 13 Pro or Pro Max with at least 256GB of storage space.

iphone-13-pro-colors.jpg

On Apple's tech specs page for the new devices and in the press release announcing the new iPhone 13 Pro models, Apple says that if you have an iPhone 13 Pro or iPhone 13 Pro Max with the base 128GB of storage, you'll be limited to shooting 1080p ProRes video at 30 frames per second.

For recording ProRes video at 4K at 30 frames per second, higher 256, 512, or 1TB storage capacities are required.
iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max support ProRes video recording in the Camera app at 1080p 30 fps with the 128GB storage option and up to 4K 30 fps with 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB storage options.
Aimed at professionals, the ProRes codec offers higher color fidelity and less compression, and it is often used for commercials, feature films, and TV broadcasts. With ProRes support, iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max users can capture, edit, and share professional quality video right on their devices.

ProRes support will not be available when the iPhone 13 Pro models launch and will be coming in a future iOS 15 update.

Along with ProRes, the new iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max offer much improved Wide, Wide Angle, and Telephoto lenses with better low light performance, macro capabilities, Night Mode, Cinematic video recording for depth-of-field transitions, and Photographic Styles for enhancing images.

Article Link: Shooting 4K ProRes Video Requires iPhone 13 Pro With at Least 256GB Storage

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Are these lighting ports still USB 2.0? Would be super annoying to transfer 1TB worth of stuff using 2.0
I suspect they are. Wireless transfer is the only viable option for transferring those big files and need a router of some sort on the go.

Reactions: Clocksetbyfeel

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Apple has truly lost it they droned on about how important Type-C was on the iPad mini to interact with devices and do large data transfers. But it has a weak sauce camera....

Then they talk about high quality massive data usage around filming with iPhone 13 Pro. USB 2.0 transfer rates no Type-C.

"Pro"

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
ProRes is interesting (especially for editing purposes), but I would imagine that the two biggest differences between iPhone and a professional cinema camera with professional lenses are 1)control over depth of field and 2)dynamic range. How much does ProRes help make an iPhone 13 Pro look like a $50K Alexa Mini setup? I’m skeptical that it does much to narrow the gap.

That said, I hope to be proven wrong once the phone is released and we’re able to see what people create.

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
Correct me if I've wrong (and there's a high probability of that), but didn't Apple under Jobs' reign operate under the core belief that each product should be easy to explain, easy to use and appeal to the average Joe? How many average Joe's see 4K ProRes and understand it, let alone want it? Seems like Apple is trying to sell something that very few people asked for.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
One question I have is if ProRes video will go straight to the iCloud Photo Library or if you'll be able to store them separately and then transfer to your computer via USB or WiFi.

Waiting for huge ProRes files to upload to iCloud over most Internet connections will be an unpleasant experience. ProRes really should be treated differently than other random video taken with the phone.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Correct me if I've wrong (and there's a high probability of that), but didn't Apple under Jobs' reign operate under the core belief that each product should be easy to explain, easy to use and appeal to the average Joe? How many average Joe's see 4K ProRes and understand it, let alone want it? Seems like Apple is trying to sell something that very few people asked for.
That went out the window long ago. even the product lines are a toxic hellstew of who knows what.
We’ve got like 5-6 phones per generation, which are further complicated by things like the smaller capacities dont do certain things the bigger ones do

Can lightning ports be USB 3.0? I thought that was one of the reasons the iPad went to USB-C, so it could support 3.0.
I thought the original iPad Pro could provide you bought the right cable. Might be remembering it wrong though

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I suspect Apple’s another intention to not incorporate USB-C is to create enough frustration among user bases and suddenly they remove the ports tons of people will breathe fresh air knowing slow “wired” (intentionally gimped) connection has been long gone, justifying their actions.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
My sole disappointment is that base model is not 256GB. Android flagships has had 256GB 128GB base model for at least 2-3 years already.

Edit: Correction, Android flagships started having base models with 128GB as early as when the 2019 iPhone 11 Pro Max was 64GB. I was looking forward that Apple may have the iPhone be the first smartphone flagship base model with 256GB this year. Upon further review Apple appears to double the base storage of iPhones every 4-5 years so we may see a 256GB base model by year 2024 or 20225. A 1TB base model iPhone may appear by mid 2030s when 8K resolution video start becoming the norm?

Last edited:

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
That’s to be expected. While it sounds like a cool feature I never used ProRAW on my 12 ProMax - then again I don’t think I’m the target audience for these types of features.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.