Shortage of OLED-Making Machines Could Potentially Impact Production of 2017 iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Duane Martin macrumors 6502

Duane Martin

So which company has designed what phone that cannot be manufactured to what needs? Or are you here from the future?

The article is stating that there simply isn't enough manufacturing capacity to supply OLED screens to the millions of iPhones that Apple ships so maybe people should temper their expectations. Reality sucks but it's still not Apple's fault.

2. nighthawk67, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

nighthawk67 macrumors regular

nighthawk67

7s @ +130
    8 @ -175
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    This will probably be the reason there's a Pro version of the iPhone 8 and people will complain and blame Apple

3. Duane Martin macrumors 6502

Duane Martin

So somehow it's Apple's fault that the technology does not yet exist to manufacture OLED screens for the millions of iPhones Apple sells so people need to seriously temper their expectations? I guess it is Apple's fault because if they didn't actually make a product that millions of people wanted this wouldn't be an issue. Very clever of you, touché!

Oh, wait, given there is no Apple phone with an OLED screen (though careful and attentive reading might lead you to understand why this is the case) and this is all based on speculation of future expectations of a non-existent product, I am really just wasting time here. Given you have probably read "blah blah blah Apple apologist blah blah blah" I have wasted both our time.

4. nighthawk67 macrumors regular

nighthawk67

This is absolutely genius, but it's not bad for Apple, many people didn't upgrade to the 7 so that's one more year outdate people will be on their iPhones and when they see this beautiful bezeless/buttonless iPhone they will be lining up for days! Apple has probably been planning this for years, they'll get it out on time, have a little faith!

5. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Due to burn in feature OLED isn't a good choice for a phone.

6. Duane Martin macrumors 6502

Duane Martin

Sorry, but admit what? That Apple "news" is more and more negative speculation and false information about non-existent products with less basis in truth than one half of a US presidential debate? You got me there.

7. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Goodness me, you get angered easily.

8. admob71 Suspended

admob71

Please give documented evidence, not anecdotal where 2016/17 devices.suffer from burn in, and we r not taking about shop.units that are on 24/7 which is not real world usage.

9. bwintx macrumors 6502

bwintx

That was a big part of why I ended up upgrading to a 7 Plus rather than moving to the Google Pixel. It's also why I'm fine with Apple's staying mostly LCD-with-LED as long as the same display quality as on the 7 Plus can be achieved -- which is much nicer than on the 6 (not 6 Plus) I had before.

10. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Ok, keeping in mind that this is a rumored potential shortage by a rumored potential supplier of equipment to a rumored potential supplier of components for a rumored product rumored to be a year away, I'll say this:

It can be manufactured to the quantities needed. The challenge here is how many people can have it in their hands on day 1.

Apple sells something like 200 million iPhones in a year. That OLED making monstrosity is something like 100 meters of machinery per production line. This leaves Apple with three choices:
    1. What they do today, which is ramp up production some time before release day to work out kinks and supply some of the initial demand but make some people wait in line.
    2. Build 200 million units before release day and make everyone wait before anyone gets one.
    3. Raise the price of the phone so they and their suppliers can overspend on capital and factory capacity to build all the units upfront in less time and then idle all of that capacity for the rest of the year.
    I know people enjoy trying to make Apple look greedy, stupid and evil, but I can't think of anything else of this complexity that is manufactured at this scale. Sometimes it isn't greed, stupidity or ill will, sometimes it's just hard.

11. kdarling, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    I personally haven't seen burn on one of my OLED phones in a long time now. All you have to do is not keep your phone at max brightness on the same screen all the time.

Also, OLEDs have gotten better.

There are various ways around it even if it happens. The coolest solution I've seen keeps track of how much each pixel has been used, and can boost their power, if you wish, to compensate. Demos are pretty cool - you can see an image beforehand, but then turn on the software compensation and bam! any burn disappears like magic. Of course, this slightly lessens the display life, but we're already talking years anyway.

I'm sure that Apple has taken all this into account.

12. Kiwikat88 macrumors regular

Kiwikat88

Just go do a google search, you'll find hundreds if not thousands of cases of newer phones having issues. I don't know what your standard for evidence is, but there's plenty of data points out there if you're willing to actually look. Both my old S3 and my current Note 4 have the issue (N4 got it within a couple months of usage), and I expect that my Pixel XL will as well in the future. Lots of pixel owners are already reporting burned-in screens where the buttons are. Luckily that isn't noticeable under most normal usage cases.

Burn-in IS a real problem. I'm a little annoyed that manufactures think OLED is necessary when Apple is shipping LCD screens with incredible color gamuts and brightness. As it is I have to set my Note 4 to a lower saturation setting because it looks absolutely absurd otherwise.

13. jkichline macrumors 6502

For $85 million a piece, you'd think they could make them look a bit nicer than a white trash version of Wall-E. :p

14. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I bet the picture below of a chipmaking machine from ASML costs even more, it's probably a third of the size of the one mentioned above but there's even much more technology inside, it's their new Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) lithography machine.

[​IMG]

15. admob71 Suspended

admob71

S3? Lol really.. a 4 year old device.. I specifically said modern devices as tech comes on every year.

16. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

That's what has happened? Sales are down across the board on all devices. We are all glad you are happy with buying an iPhone 6 every year. Look this one has 3 cameras and you won't be able to get the color you want for 2-3 months after launch.
    I'll never understand why Apple chooses to not produce enough iPhones at launch. Do they not know they are releasing them? I understand creating artificial demand but honestly when I saw 2 months shipping estimates I decided right there I'll wait 12 months.

17. niji Contributor

niji

i was thinking the same thing.

if apple succeeds in eliminating physical home button, lightning port, etc, it wouldn't make sense to still have a SIM port.

so the digital apple SIM needs to be in place.

i think that actual verifiable information about apple getting carriers into this digital SIM framework will able to reported on IF this is indeed happening. or maybe they will do a classic apple maneuver, and go ahead with no SIM port and only have the main USA carriers on board at time of launch and use the fact of needing to get more world wide carriers on board on a phased in approach to control (limit / match) the rumored supply chain constraints for the screen.

at any rate, it will suck if there is no SIM port and all the carriers I use monthly in various countries are not participating by the time I want to buy this phone.

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

After picking up an LG OLED Tv I'm pretty much sold on the looks of the screens... .not so much before that.

19. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

I'm saying I want the newest of the newest tech (like OLED now). I don't want the tech that 20 factories can do with 0% error (like regular LCD now).

20. bennyboy197 macrumors newbie

bennyboy197

--- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2016 ---
    Good idea in theory but also shows how heavily elitism plays a role in your opinion. How about instead, Apple improve on being more productive with a solution regarding manufacturing shortages instead of trying to create said 'shortage'

21. Mactendo macrumors 68000

The problem is real and regardless of solutions OLED screen will have a shorter life than LCD. Given the current great specs and quality of iPhone screens, switching to OLED is more like another marketing gimmick than a real necessity. OLED issues outweight its small benefits.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2016 ---
    Kiwikat88 specifically said just google it. There're reports for any devices.

22. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

And I said the iPhone 7 is the best PHONE I've ever used.

23. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Sales are down, but that's only because the 6 did so well. I see the iPhone stabilizing at this point and explosive growth is a thing of the past.

Apple doesn't choose to not produce enough phones. It's because they can't because of lower yields. Take for example the water proofing and mirror finish of the Jet Black iPhone.

OLEDs will be no different and will have major shortages. People complain ALL the time about how Apple isn't doing XYZ, but never even take a second to think about the hurdles involved to deliver 50M iPhones.

Other phone companies don't have this problem because they don't sell that many phones!

24. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Yes, clearly manufacturers are moving to OLED because its benefits are so small :rolleyes:

Or perhaps, just perhaps, the fact that they're thinner, lighter, have greater saturation and contrast, and can even be folded, might have something to do with it.

25. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

Those hurdles are there every single year and they never have sufficient stock at launch. I love Apple but you sound like a major fanboy. Black paint and no headphone jack warrants 2 months worth of backorder?
    And keep telling yourself sales have leveled off because of the iPhone 6 doing so well. I use my iPhone 6 still and won't replace it with another