Shortage of OLED-Making Machines Could Potentially Impact Production of 2017 iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Each ELVESS OLED machine is actually a vacuum production system that's 328 feet in length and is used to deposit red, blue, and green pixels on a glass surface using evaporating organic materials.​

Humans are geniuses.

2. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

There Should be a shortage of some component every year I think. Otherwise they are not pushing the technology enough.

3. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

Oh it's fine apple! Just release another iPhone 6 we don't mind it.

4. VernonDozier macrumors newbie

Well, leaks can be actually a form of "disclosure" to investors. When facts like these are disclosed in the press, Wallstreet Analysts can re-tune their financial models including expected earnings for the company.

Another reason to disclose news like this would be to disclose this as a type of un-expected capital expense.

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Its like markerting these days....start the panic about shortages . These stories are just getting predictable now, at least the reasons vary :)

6. macintoshi macrumors 6502

macintoshi

7. konqueror4u macrumors regular

konqueror4u

iPhone 7s = iphone 7 at higher price (courtesy tariffs) if iPhone 8 is not ready for 2017.

8. Ventilatedbrain macrumors regular

You must

You have to admit though ... this sort of news has been more consistent than the Iphone release in September

9. vmistery macrumors 6502a

Well I hope that they go either OLED for all the new models or none at all unless they are going to do something like having 2 models of the same size but one with and one without. Otherwise one size (undoubtedly the large one) is basically the top model.

10. yegon, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

yegon macrumors 68030

I say this nearly every year and don't follow through, but I may hold off getting the next iPhone if it does have a radical new design.

I've not personally had any major problems with v1 of Apple stuff for years - although I didn't enjoy my 6 Plus - but I suspect the next iPhone will suffer two significant flaws.

One, although it may be a major redesign and form factor change, it might be compromised in a major way - shorter battery life etc.

Two, being a v1 product it'll have an outright design flaw that mars the experience and will inevitably be fixed in the next version.

I say this because I'm completely satisfied with my 7 Plus in all regards, more so than any previous iPhone I've had. Happy to see the headphone jack go personally, battery life is immense, love the new speakers, the wide gamut display is really good, and that 3gb ram means I've never once felt it's constrained in any way. Only thing I'd change is reduce the bezels a bit.

I just get the feeling the next one wil be WOW in the looks department, but have a string of problems and faults given Apples recent track record.

However, given I've had a 5, 5S, 6 Plus, 6S Plus, and now 7 Plus.... I won't follow through and prob buy the next one, heyho! I only skipped the 3GS and 4S, 3G being my first iPhone.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why should there be a shortage in components every single year? Are you saying this is supposed to create some sort type of supply and demand?

You quoted "They are not pushing technology enough." Well technology can only be pushed so far until it's been ready and tested for the market. And you do realize that technology is usually tested 3–5 years prior to the actual product being released. You make it sound as if technology evolves overnight and should be ready for the market in less than a year.

Take the first generation Apple Watch for example, that was actually one of Steve Jobs last project he had his hands on. They actually started working on the Apple Watch back in 2011 prior to his death, when it actually released in April 2015. So with experimenting with heart rate sensors, fitness applications, and an OLED screen, likely took almost 5 years for the Apple Watch to be ready for the market. (And Apple
    Is slower in releasing compared to competitors).

I think most don't truly understand, including myself, how far in advance technology is worked on until it's been ready for a public release. Engineering, implementation, design and functionality are all things to consider when looking at future products.

There's one thing for certain. Tech companies have to think about the future. They have to be a forward thinkers years from now. They have to be able to see where technology is going and the cycle of constantly evolving. I think that's with Steve Jobs did so well and some have said Apple has lost since his passing.

12. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

13. alexgowers macrumors 65816

As OLED tvs go unsold the capacity for Apple has finally got there. Now there is no wiggle room with Apple in the market for OLED. I'm not the biggest OLED fan I quite like IPS as it's never pentile I think it looks better in some ways.

When you hear about issues like this you realise how difficult it must be to make a phone in such large volumes and that nothing is black and white.

14. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Make a new color only available in 256GB storage. Put in wireless fast charging like Samsung has only in top model and pull the lightning jack. Raise the price by $149 and ship it with Airpods in the box. Do not include any cables of any kind for any reason whatsoever. No wall plug either. You have to make up that $10 discount on the pods somehow. Make sure the Airpods are using BT5 and only compatible with the latest phone.

Make it a millimeter thinner by taking the volume controls off of it. Suggest that "Siri voice controls ought to be enough for anybody". Profit.

Make another youtube video with the Mexican Apple engineer talking about Tim Cook and the latest phone to bring the LULZ. That alone would be worth the price of admission. :)

They will have to redesign the phone just for the sake of design if they can't pull off the OLED screens. I really don't know realistically what else they could do. These machines cost around $85 million. Apple could have bought a couple of these things easily. Not sure if they would have been available two years ago when they would have had to order with the two year wait.

I am not being negative but it seems like the technology needs to leap forward a bit again. We are sort of stuck right now. Battery and display tech seem to be the two bottlenecks to a lot of products right now.

15. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Apple's scale is huge.
    Among the general nonsense, oone thing stands out in your post: Cook "picking fights" with Trump. Have you been living under a rock for the last two weeks?

Try to inform yourself at least a bit before posting.

16. ryanwarsaw, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

$85 million is chump change for Apple. not sure how many one of these can produce but Apple could buy 50 of them and it is no big deal.

17. Tunster macrumors 6502

I really don't get why big smartphone manufacturers aren't helping to fund eInk technologies so at least they can get a usable experience with faster refresh rates and longer battery life. Even colour eInk is available now in limited form. This race to produce more and more OLED/Micro-LED is crazy and unsustainable.

http://www.eink.com/press_releases/e_ink_announces_advanced_color_epaper_05-24-2016.html

I'd be very happy to have a phone with functions core to communication again and to last several days or even a whole week. We have tablets that can do all the smartphone stuff for a whole day (there's the space to put in more battery volume). So why justify a phone that has to do it all?

It'll take companies like Google/Apple to change the way we use phones again if we want longer battery life and not be consistently tied down to a charging port. Again tied down to battery/screen tech.

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Carl Icahn is that you typing?

19. Mildredop macrumors 68020

So, who is to blame if not Apple?

20. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

I won't be surprised if it is like that. Unless anybody has any better ideas.

21. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

New tech is better than before, who would've known.

22. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I think Samsung should have a special OLED price. Knowing Apple wants them but can't actually make OLEDs themselves, jack up the price by a few hundred percent. Therefore the price of the iPhone skyrockets and more people leave Apple in favour of Samsung.

It's win-win for them.

23. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Glad I have my Pixel with Oled now and not having to wait on Apple. Got rid of a 6s. Couldn't be happier. Apple will really have to wow me to get me to come back.

24. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

Apples failure rate is poor but their support is great, just as well the amount of times I've been back with Apple gear, especially their phones