Shortage of OLED-Making Machines Could Potentially Impact Production of 2017 iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2016.

1. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Got one more: Simless

2. sashimimi macrumors member

sashimimi

I haven't considered an OLED/AMOLED screen phone since I saw the hopeless shift in colours after several months with the technology when I used to have an HTC Desire and then a Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus. I wonder if R&D solved this issue.

3. pmau macrumors 68000

Whatever apologies work these days ... I really don't care.
    Apple was probably asking for a specific production scale and the suppliers said:

"No problem, but you have to pay extra if you allocate our complete capacity."

Tim Cook said:

"No way. I cheap supply chain is paramount. I pay as little as possible."

... and we get the iPhone 7S with the same display, just a little more QA on the LED's used for the backlight.

PS: The spectrum of the LED's used is the most important factor of an LCD.
    The rest ist just filters that block light and marketing.

4. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

I thought Timmy's strong point was managing the supply chain

If he can't do that properly , what's the point in him being around ?

5. cics macrumors member

cics

I think it's far from being ready for mass production...

6. kdarling, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Micro-LED is kind of like the Liquid Metal of displays. Sounds neat, but so far impossible to manufacture in quantity at a decent price.

That was his job back when Cook was COO.

He's been CEO instead for at least the last five years, and someone else has been managing the supply chain.

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

I hope they don't include a 3.5mm headphone jack when they make these machines. It could be so much cheaper if they don't. And probably water resistant too!

8. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

I wouldn't blame Apple for shortages like these, think of it this way, in all human history there has been no demand for a single product like this one. All people, religions, races, countries, old, young, with all different languages want an iphone and want an iphone the first week its released. Give them a break.

Even on the Android side its a bit divided between Samsung, Google, Huawei, HTC, and others.

9. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

10. cardfan macrumors 68000

Welp, look at the bright side. I can order a few extra and add to the thousands Apple's launches gave me this year in reselling. Apple's money pods were a hit and surprisingly easy to get despite Apple's intentional online delay trick.

11. Jdnathan11 macrumors newbie

Surely the 7s. They will not Break up the "S" cycle. IMO it buys apple time for real innovation on the numbered relases every 2 years.

12. doctor-don macrumors 68000

Cannot get over all the people who jump on the "like" bandwagon over such a comment.

What about the durability of a flexible phone display? Is it scratch-resistant?

13. admob71 Suspended

admob71

HTC desire was lcd, good story tho bringing something that's 6 yrs old.and suggesting it's relevant.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

To piss off MacRumors readers ;)

15. admob71 Suspended

admob71

The normals? Really Tim? Do you consider your self special when you buy the same ME Too handset that millions of other people have bought...

16. dragicon macrumors member

In your opinion, when a company designs a phone that is unable to be manufactured to the quantities needed (because of supposedly known manufacturing limits), whose fault is that?

17. coolfactor macrumors 601

I was shocked by that price, too!

I do think Apple should enter the marketing of designing their own manufacturing workflows. The original Macs back in 1984 did this! Macs making Macs. And I think Apple could bring some future-safe processes to the scene, so "retooling" would be a problem of the past.

18. newdeal macrumors 68020

Well your statement would assume that the companies that Apple is buying from are losing money, which isn't true, they are making money, and therefore if Apple did the exact same thing that they did then they would make money also. The risk for Apple is very low because they wouldn't need outside customers at all. This is especially true with proven technology like this, Samsung has been using it for years. Unlike their sapphire manufacturing that was new technology and therefore a big risk if it didn't work out, but they proceeded to buy those machines anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    its a 328 foot long machine with what I am sure is extreme complexity. Only one company in the world can make it, it is an important machine for these companies to own and they only make 10 per year...$85 million seems like a bargain!

19. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

There are newer phones than the iPhone 7 that I would not switch to.

20. Williesleg macrumors 6502

TL;DR version:

iPhone Performa version and iPhone quadra version coming out next year.
    No new macs.
    Tim is too busy trying to "fix" Donald Trump he can't be bothered to make insanely great products.
    All the smart people leave Apple.
    Rinse and repeat.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Three things. 1. My comment was about Apple's margins being affected by the manufacturing overhead. 2. Apple has no experience in manufacturing. I seriously doubt they could bring anything to the table. 3. There's no such thing as future-safe processes. Every manufacturing concern has to continually upgrade their equipment. Manufacturing is cost intensive; leading me back to my comment about Apple's margins. Manufacturing would make those margins suffer.

So much wrong here. First, my statement assumes none of that. My statement has absolutely nothing to do with the machine manufacturer losing money. That's irrelevant. Lower risk? Uh, that's not how it works. Risk is mitigated when it's spread. If Apple was Apple's only customer and something went wrong, Apple would be up the creek. That's why Apple tries to have multiple suppliers for components - risk mitigation. Your GT Advance comment proves my point. Apple was going to be the only customer. It didn't work. Apple bore the brunt of that decision alone. It occurred to me that you might be incorrectly thinking that I was talking about Apple making these machines. I'm not. My comment was about Apple purchasing them and manufacturing their own panels. Just so that we're clear.

Bargain? I don't know about that. Bargain relative to what? I was simply looking at that number as a stand alone entity.

22. 0958400 Suspended

iPhone X is my bet.

23. admob71 Suspended

admob71

I thought it was obvious that he was meaning the ip7 was better than last year's iPhone and so on...

24. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

Lol dude those devices are from like over 5 years ago, OLED has came a very long way since then and looks absolutely stunning

25. nt5672 macrumors 68000

But in previous years Apple either fixed it or did something different. Failure was not an option. Today failure is perfectly ok as long as its not Apple's fault.