Should Apple have stricter regulations regarding the frequency of app updates for app developers

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Nerdy Keith, Aug 2, 2017.

?

Should Apple make it compulsory for all app developers to update apps at least once a year?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Nerdy Keith macrumors member

Nerdy Keith

There have been quite a few times when I've purchased an app on iOS to only realise that I cannot use it anymore. I'm not just talking about free apps, a lot of the time this has occurred with paid apps. The reason this happens is due to the third party app developers neglecting to update their app from 1 year to over 5 years in some cases. To me it seems that Apple are being to lenient in that regard.

Would it not make more sense for Apple to update their regulations for developers so that if they fail to update any app in over 12 months that it is removed pending a 3 month notice period? After all it saves Apple a lot of money as refunds have to be issued when customers purchase apps that don't and faulty apps are not really helping anyone.

What are your views on this? I'm considering sending my thoughts to Apple directly as a point of feedback, but I'd like some views from Mac Rumers before hand.

2. iFanaddic, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

All I personally want is a broader compatibility checklist. Such as this;

Compatibility
    • iOS 7,8,9,10 & 11
    • Splitscreen
    • Widget
    • Siri
    • 3D touch
    • TouchID
    • Apple watch
    • Small complication
    • Big complication
    • Purchase includes iPad app: Yes/No
    • App includes ** days trial
    That or let us try before we buy, that can’t be hard?

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

There have been quite a few educational apps recently I wanted to buy since they hadn't been updated in years I knew they'd not work in ios11. It's been frustrating because I could really use them.

4. atmenterprises macrumors regular

No. If the app developers want their apps to languish, so be it. Smart customers won't buy another product from the same developer later.

5. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Not exactly the same, but you seem to be able to get a refund in iTunes now if an app doesn't work or do what you expected.

6. max2 macrumors 68000

This is a interesting subject. I would have to say no. Though what do I know.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I fully support your view.

8. lexvo macrumors 65816

Yes it would be great if Apple had some rules regarding actuality for apps in the appstore.

On the other hand, I always check when an app was last updated. If it is too old I don't buy. And an recent (few months) last update also is an indication of the commitment of the developer.