Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple make it compulsory for all app developers to update apps at least once a year?

• Yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Nerdy Keith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
There have been quite a few times when I've purchased an app on iOS to only realise that I cannot use it anymore. I'm not just talking about free apps, a lot of the time this has occurred with paid apps. The reason this happens is due to the third party app developers neglecting to update their app from 1 year to over 5 years in some cases. To me it seems that Apple are being to lenient in that regard.

Would it not make more sense for Apple to update their regulations for developers so that if they fail to update any app in over 12 months that it is removed pending a 3 month notice period? After all it saves Apple a lot of money as refunds have to be issued when customers purchase apps that don't and faulty apps are not really helping anyone.

What are your views on this? I'm considering sending my thoughts to Apple directly as a point of feedback, but I'd like some views from Mac Rumers before hand.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
All I personally want is a broader compatibility checklist. Such as this;

Compatibility
  • iOS 7,8,9,10 & 11
  • Splitscreen
  • Widget
  • Siri
  • 3D touch
  • TouchID
  • Apple watch
  • Small complication
  • Big complication
  • Purchase includes iPad app: Yes/No
  • App includes ** days trial
That or let us try before we buy, that can’t be hard?

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
There have been quite a few educational apps recently I wanted to buy since they hadn't been updated in years I knew they'd not work in ios11. It's been frustrating because I could really use them.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
No. If the app developers want their apps to languish, so be it. Smart customers won't buy another product from the same developer later.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
This is a interesting subject. I would have to say no. Though what do I know.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Yes it would be great if Apple had some rules regarding actuality for apps in the appstore.

On the other hand, I always check when an app was last updated. If it is too old I don't buy. And an recent (few months) last update also is an indication of the commitment of the developer.

Reactions: mrex and max2

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There have been quite a few times when I've purchased an app on iOS to only realise that I cannot use it anymore. I'm not just talking about free apps, a lot of the time this has occurred with paid apps. The reason this happens is due to the third party app developers neglecting to update their app from 1 year to over 5 years in some cases. To me it seems that Apple are being to lenient in that regard.

Would it not make more sense for Apple to update their regulations for developers so that if they fail to update any app in over 12 months that it is removed pending a 3 month notice period? After all it saves Apple a lot of money as refunds have to be issued when customers purchase apps that don't and faulty apps are not really helping anyone.

What are your views on this? I'm considering sending my thoughts to Apple directly as a point of feedback, but I'd like some views from Mac Rumers before hand.

Personally I'd like to see the following mandatory setup:

Apps should be updated upon every major iOS upgrade cycle (10.0, 11.0 etc) and if more than 6mths lacking suspend downloads if and only IF corrupted performance occurs.

Restrict developers from releasing 2 different versions of the SAME application when primary function is the same - especially at a cost. Restrict such developers from doing so when the previous & current application requires an update for the major OS cycle.
Example:
- TweetBot 3 didn't get an iOS 10 update, instead the developer released TweetBot 4 at a $10CAN cost and barely any new features!
- Apple Watch App [Seriously? This is a heavily communicative app nobody wants 50 tweets draining the battery of their Apple Watch and nobody will use the Watch to reply to Twitter Tweets more than once at a time).
- Top highlighted feature: Universal iPad support; well so did TweetBot 3.
Desktop App is nice as well.

^ Great application but I really don't applaud the pump & dump like behaviour of the developer. Yes I did pay for the application, twice (previously on former icloud account, again on current icloud account).

Reactions: jagooch

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

No. I don't agree. For a few of reasons:

Software that is well written and serves its intended purposes doesn't need to be updated for the sake of updating. This would require developers of those apps to simply have a "null" update to satisfy the requirement. That's not helpful to the develop, Apple, or the customer.

Apple doesn't provide an App Store means for a separate upgrade charge vs a full-price purchase. That means that updates are free to those who purchased in the past. How much incentive is there to update a $1.99 app with no specific way to charge for the update? (maybe an IAP for the update) but that leads to the next point...

The "culture" of the iOS ecosystem is around cheap/free apps with free updates. Many of those who attempted to recoup some of the cost of the update by charging for it have been met with criticism... often times harsh criticism.

The 64-bit-only requirement for iOS apps has effectively purged those old apps from the store. It reset the clock.

A better solution to the issue rests with Apple. I'm no fan of Microsoft, but one thing they understand is the responsibility of maintaining backward compatibility. (desktop Windows, mobile is a completely different story)

Apple needs to improve backward compatibility with older apps. But because of the way iOS is structured (requiring the apps themselves to embed support for OS-level functions within the app), that makes it extremely difficult and effectively impossible. An example of that is split-window multitasking. As it is today, apps must include support for this capability (which is traditionally an operating system function).

Having said that, there are some inherent limitations in the iOS ecosystem that will prevent it from doing things that we take for granted in other venues, like the desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.