Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I know this question has been asked many times, but I'm a little confused. I've been out of the smartphone game for a while, so I don't know what's new these days. What are the important factors for each?

If I had to say something, it's that I like the form factor of the SE. The 7 seems too big.

Should I wait for the 8/7S regardless?

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
If the 7 is too big,and you don't need the latest or fastest processors around,the SE has tech specs very close to the 7. And when it comes to size,the new 8 will most likely be same size as the 7.

Reactions: rui no onna

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I know this question has been asked many times, but I'm a little confused. I've been out of the smartphone game for a while, so I don't know what's new these days. What are the important factors for each?

If I had to say something, it's that I like the form factor of the SE. The 7 seems too big.

The iPhone SE's biggest advantage is the form Factor as you Already mentioned. And primarily has the same internals is the iPhone 6s. The SE incorporates the 3.5 Jack, where the iPhone does not have one.

iPhone 7 has more upgraded features, with a higher resolution, A10 Processor, 3D Touch, Stereo speakers, etc.

What you really need to consider is what do you want out of the iPhone? Form factor would be the most important first, then followed by features. Whatever phone you are using currently, is it sufficient enough for you to want to wait the next eight weeks until we reach the September keynote.

All depends on how much use you make of the screen IMO. If you're someone constantly staring at your phone go for the 7 (or whatever replaces it in a couple of months). If like me you tend to use it just to listen to music and only glance at the screen occasionally then the SE is more likely to suit you. Reports suggest that the SE has better battery life, but that the camera on the 7 is much better. Otherwise there's not much between them that you'd notice.

Reactions: Apples555

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
If the 7 is too big,and you don't need the latest or fastest processors around,the SE has tech specs very close to the 7. And when it comes to size,the new 8 will most likely be same size as the 7.

I'd like the highest specifications possible, then form factor. With this set of expectations, I think I should wait for the keynote.

The iPhone SE's biggest advantage is the form Factor as you Already mentioned. And primarily has the same internals is the iPhone 6s. The SE incorporates the 3.5 Jack, where the iPhone does not have one.

iPhone 7 has more upgraded features, with a higher resolution, A10 Processor, 3D Touch, Stereo speakers, etc.

What you really need to consider is what do you want out of the iPhone? Form factor would be the most important first, then followed by features. Whatever phone you are using currently, is it sufficient enough for you to want to wait the next eight weeks until we reach the September keynote.

Thanks for the rundown. I have a 3GS I've kept all these years. It would be nice to have a good camera and a high resolution display. At the time, the 3GS was the best phone available. I go to university and I use iMessage and mobile browsing a lot also.

My conclusion is to wait. My issue is that some people are saying the phone is only going to come out in December, which is a little long, I'm ready to upgrade soonish. I suppose all will be revealed at the keynote. If I decide to go with the 7 anyway, I might get a discount at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My conclusion is to wait. My issue is that some people are saying the phone is only going to come out in December, which is a little long, I'm ready to upgrade soonish. I suppose all will be revealed at the keynote.

I would agree with your decision to wait, as the keynote is less than eight weeks. Also, as far as the iPhone 8 launching in December, I don't forsee that happening. I still think the iPhone will launch as normal, perhaps with a slight delay if anything, but Apple nothing past October, especially considering sales during the Holidays.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
If it had top specs (great camera, display, and fastest processor) it would be a no-brainer. There's no reason why it can't have any of those IMO.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

Wait for the iPhone 8. The 7 series will drop price as the current price of the 6S.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Right now, it's the worse part of getting an iPhone unless you need it SO bad.
But I prefer the 7 because in 2017 the SE seems very small.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If it had top specs (great camera, display, and fastest processor) it would be a no-brainer. There's no reason why it can't have any of those IMO.

But if the iPhone SE had the top specifications similar to the iPhone 7, then it wouldn't have that starting price point of $399.00, which is one of the most attractive part to the SE aside from the smaller size.

Also one of the reasons Apple made it affordable, was not including some of the latest hardware with the iPhone SE. It primarily was brought back for the demographic that wanted the four-inch form factor and it's an entry-level iPhone that offers the cheapest price in Apple's lineup.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I own both an iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone SE (one's for work, one's for personal use) and both have their pros and cons.

For media consumption the 7 Plus meets my needs but for work purposes the SE is brilliant for what it's needed for and I can use the headphone jack to playback music in my car to/from work.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The iPhone SE is for budget consumers, reflected in its price.

I'd wait 8 weeks or so for the new devices.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If money is tight, go SE. I got mine for $180 brand new. If Samsung fubars my S8+ trade in promotion to get the S8+, I will ditch that phone and get my $ back and use the SE for the foreseeable future. 7 is nice and all, but it's a lame duck phone now because it's too pricey to be a worthwhile buy and it's too close to the 7S coming out.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
If money is tight, go SE. I got mine for $180 brand new. If Samsung fubars my S8+ trade in promotion to get the S8+, I will ditch that phone and get my $ back and use the SE for the foreseeable future. 7 is nice and all, but it's a lame duck phone now because it's too pricey to be a worthwhile buy and it's too close to the 7S coming out.
It's less of a lame duck than the SE.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Do you want a 4" old style handset, or a bigger handset with a newer design?
They still all share the same problem - iOS.

Volgin

Suspended
Jul 17, 2017
Smithfield, RI

Get the SE. It's $169 on Cricket and a great phone.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
A9 is still a very fast chip and the lower res on the SE puts less strain on the CPU/GPU as well.

Plus it will be the best 4" device on the market for the foreseeable future. Considering the 4.7" Sony Xperia Compact series featured a 720p display and the SE has a 640p display, it's not a huge difference in resolution. Plus, the A9 is in the newest iPad 5th gen. The 7 will be replaced by an A11 processor or some faster processor if the A11 goes into the OLED model. My point was the SE is going to be a flagship for awhile for a 4" device if the rumors of a SE2 are false.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.