Should I return my Samsung Galaxy S8 and wait for the new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Hieveryone, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 because of the amazing screen and high quality front facing camera.

But other than a couple of good things it sucks!

Will the next iPhone have a comparable screen to the S8, and should I just wait until it comes out?

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

I think you would like to hear it......so yes, absolutely :)

3. fartnugget213 macrumors member

It's like Steve said, up to you.

Do you like the S8 enough to keep it? Keep it.

Do you hate the S8 enough to wait for the new iphone? Return it.

It is that simple.

4. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

I had an S8 for two weeks and returned it. Dang sweet phone, but I don't think it will beat out the iPhone 8 IMHO.

5. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

The talk seems to be that the iphone 8 will be hard to find for some time after release. In your situation I'd maybe keep it for the interim which could be a few to several months. But I like Android so I'd be fine doing that and selling or trading later. Don't know your carrier but some, and Verizon is one, frequently offer trade ins on new devices from a slightly used device. I got an iphone 7 that way and cost me nothing. Consider this, if you return the Sammy what will you be stuck with for the next few months? That would figure into my thought process.

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

My main problem is the software.

It doesn't work well. I've had it freeze, crash, lag, and just overall been buggy.

It's definitely useable but not a joy to use.

That being said it looks incredible. I have jet black. And of course like I said, that screen is unreal. There are no words to describe how much I love the screen.

7. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

I'm currently using an unlocked Galaxy S8 Plus bought during the recent Best Buy promotion, already pasted the return period. I'll hold on to it until the initial iPhone 8 craze dies down a bit then jump back to Apple. S8+ is a great phone hardware wise, but ios beats Android any day of the week. I also noticed the same app when used on iPhone and galaxy feels like night and day, the ios version feels so much user friendly and more intuitive than the Android version.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I mean there's also features I really like but no there.

Where's the double tap to bring the screen down so I can reach the top?

Where's the swipe the left side of the screen to go back?

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Exactly my opinion on Android with my S7. I'm so tempted every time I walk past a carrier store with the S8/S8+ on display. They are so beautiful. But I know I'll get really turned off by Android after I purchased one.

10. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

OP, if you're having crash, freeze issues be sure to reboot once in awhile. Also a cache cleaning can't hurt every so often. Android is not iOS for sure. There is a learning curve. Not sure how familiar you are with it. Recent app installs can cause issues at times depending. iPhone just works right out of the box. Android not so much and anyone not familiar with it can get discouraged. Disable OEM apps you're not using.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There's a gesture to shrink the screen down to one hand size (search settings for one handed mode - it can be either triple tap on home button or swipe in from bottom edge) and a back button is always visible next to the home button so there doesn't tend to be a gesture for it in apps

12. noobinator macrumors 601

Well being that you are on an Apple forum, I'll go ahead and say keep the S8.

13. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

True but I don't find it as convenient TBH. I guess it's something one has to get used to.

14. fathergll macrumors 6502a

15. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Can you return it for free? If yes, then yes return it and get the iPhone 8

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Huh? So on a Samsung forum, you'll recommend to return the S8!?

17. noobinator macrumors 601

Actually I'd recommend waiting on the Pixel 2 in that case.

18. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh I forgot that I could do that?

Is the VR fun?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2017 ---
    Not it's going to cost cash but it's only 30 I think

19. paulryp macrumors regular

I say take it back and get............an S7 Edge :) much better than the S8 in my opionion. What problems you having with your phone? Im Newley converted Samsung fan boy and I can't see myself going back to an iPhone.

The good thing with Android is if you have and UI issue there will be a easy tweek to fix it.

20. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Well I own an S8+ and the stutters are bothering me and I am highly considering waiting for the LG V30

21. coney718 macrumors regular

As an S8 owner you may want to exchange it for a new one because mine isnt doing any of those things. Had it for almost 2 months and no freezes or crashes. I do get the occasional stutter or lag here and there though. I also have a 6s+ and software wise I still prefer iOS because it feels smoother and more polished and app quality is better. Cant really go wrong with either one though.

22. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I was thinking maybe I got a defective one!

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Maybe you should get another S8o_O

24. ajiuo, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

ajiuo macrumors 65816

It depends on what you are willing to pay. The mainstream iPhone won’t look much different from the iPhone 7. The iPhone pro will have a no bezel screen... but it will start out at $1200 (that’s for the lowest memory option). It also will not have Touch ID witch will dramatically hamper convenience... no matter how good face ID is. Banks also might not allow FaceID to be used with Apple Pay.

I would recommend keeping your galaxy. Hopefully Apple releases a competitive mainstream iPhone in 2018 or 2019.

I’ll probably just keep my 7plus or switch to galaxy for the first time ever. I’m not paying 1200 for a 32-64gb phone that doesn’t have Touch ID.... and no way in hell im buying a 4th version iPhone 6.... even with a glass back panel, it’s way outdated.