Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I like my iPhone 4 but I'm a techie (I build computers and other things)and I would like to try android out any tips for iOS to android users. now I'm not getting rid of my iPhone just wanna experiment any tips and any specific model I should try?

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Yes.

All of us here at MacRumors think Android is the best.

Leaving the smartass remarks aside, I would say why not. If you are a techie you will appreciate the ability to customize the phone to your liking. As a tech guy myself, I find the iPhone lacking in many areas but you can't knock the simplicity of it. My latest phone is a WP7 phone and I like it a lot but I am rebuilding a iPhone4 now and will be switching back (I don't like the lack of apps in WP7). I have a friend that just got a Droid Bionic and he loves it.

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I like my iPhone 4 but I'm a techie (I build computers and other things)and I would like to try android out any tips for iOS to android users. now I'm not getting rid of my iPhone just wanna experiment any tips and any specific model I should try?

This is all opinion based - and asking on a Apple forum if you should go to the competition is asinine. Same as if you asked on an Android forum for switching to iPhone.

Bottom line, its a personal choice. I am a doctor, but second passion is being a "techie." Android is great if you MUST tinker around with your phone with ROMS and stuff, but the app store compared to apples is just total CRAP in my opinion. The quality of the applications FAR PALES in comparison.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Leaving the smartass remarks aside, I would say why not. If you are a techie you will appreciate the ability to customize the phone to your liking. As a tech guy myself, I find the iPhone lacking in many areas but you can't knock the simplicity of it. My latest phone is a WP7 phone and I like it a lot but I am rebuilding a iPhone4 now and will be switching back (I don't like the lack of apps in WP7). I have a friend that just got a Droid Bionic and he loves it.

im not leaving iOS forever but i would like to know any specific models that are the "norm" these days

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you want to try android, stay away from bottom-of-the-barrel phones. You get what you pay for.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I would go for the Nexus S or Prime.

Bigchris

macrumors member
May 6, 2009
Cucamonga
You should, there's nothing wrong with trying something to see if you like it. I do agree with the other poster, don't buy a basic one, buy a good one and go from there, that way you can make your own opinion of which one you like. I just came from the EVO to the iphone 4s, it's my 1st iPhone..

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
iOS: get the 4S
Android: wait for the Nexus Prime/GSIII
WP7: get the Titan or wait for the Focus S

EDIT: It's based on choice. No one can tell you what is right for you.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Before I had an iPhone, I had a T-mobile wing through work. As a techie, I enjoyed loading custom ROMs, (mostly to make it look like an iPhone). At the end of the day, I'd rather just have my iPhone for getting things done. If you have the cash to spare, get an android phone. I will say everyone I know who got one with a big 4 4.5 screen and 4g are crying about battery.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
iOS: get the 4S
Android: wait for the Nexus Prime/GSIII
WP7: get the Titan or wait for the Focus S

EDIT: It's based on choice. No one can tell you what is right for you.

The Nexus Prime and GS III are two totally different phones. The first is made by Samsung for Google and will carry the Google Nexus Brand The Samsung Galaxy SIII is in Test still and not yet released.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
If you want to try it and are not getting rid of your iphone, why not?

Nexus Prime (Galaxy Nexus) is coming to Verizon in the next month or so. Announced in a couple of days.

HTC Vigor is also coming (to some carrier).

It could be fun for a year until the next iphone comes out.

I made a similar switch from my 3GS. DEfinitely find myself missing iphone/ios at times, but it has given me a hobby. You will not believe how much time you will spend flashing/customizing your phone.

Fair warning:

To enjoy android, you will likely have to root and flash custom ROMS. on top of that, you will likely need an aftermarket launcher (I recommend launcherpro plus which costs extra in the market).

Then there are a lot of apps you need to buy to make your device look "pretty" (e.g. Beautiful Widgets, Widgetlocker, etc.)

If you don't mind spending the extra money in the market, and extra time, then I'd say go for it. But you will miss that near-perfect experience iphone provides out of the box.

Also, you will lose the ease of itunes syncing. You can try doubletwist, but still not as nice.

also, stay away from moto. Go Samsung or HTC.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I don't want an android phone with bloatware....

----------

If you want to try it and are not getting rid of your iphone, why not?

Nexus Prime (Galaxy Nexus) is coming to Verizon in the next month or so. Announced in a couple of days.

HTC Vigor is also coming (to some carrier).

It could be fun for a year until the next iphone comes out.

I made a similar switch from my 3GS. DEfinitely find myself missing iphone/ios at times, but it has given me a hobby. You will not believe how much time you will spend flashing/customizing your phone.

Fair warning:

To enjoy android, you will likely have to root and flash custom ROMS. on top of that, you will likely need an aftermarket launcher (I recommend launcherpro plus which costs extra in the market).

Then there are a lot of apps you need to buy to make your device look "pretty" (e.g. Beautiful Widgets, Widgetlocker, etc.)

If you don't mind spending the extra money in the market, and extra time, then I'd say go for it. But you will miss that near-perfect experience iphone provides out of the box.

Also, you will lose the ease of itunes syncing. You can try doubletwist, but still not as nice.

also, stay away from moto. Go Samsung or HTC.

Well i don't live in america but I know my country will get but why do you have to work so hard to make work nice?

det2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
I've tried Android, but still keep coming back to my iPhone.

I wouldn't want any other Android than a Nexus though, since that is the best Android experience.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
I don't want an android phone with bloatware....

Just head over to XDA forum for the model of your phone, lots good tips on how to root your phone, delete bloatware and custom ROM.

There have easy 1 click root and easy guide on how to flash new ROM, nothing too difficult unless you want to dig into Android SDK yourself, then there are lots of helpful people to ask for info.

You will also learn a bit as well.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The Nexus Prime and GS III are two totally different phones. The first is made by Samsung for Google and will carry the Google Nexus Brand The Samsung Galaxy SIII is in Test still and not yet released.

I'm aware, that's why I listed them both.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
They play just as well with a Mac as they do a PC. I do agree with the other poster, I would go with the Nexus line (S or Prime) as Samsung refaces Android which may - or may not be to your liking and with the Nexus phone you will have a choice without going custom.
I heard sense UI is quite good and has certain functionality that the stock android phones do not is this true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.