Should I upgrade my Macbook 10.6.8 to 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Talevski, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Talevski, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

Talevski macrumors newbie

Talevski

Hello guys, I am new to mac's because I was curious I bought an old Macbook Pro A1181 with Snow Leopard OS in it, so because Google Chrome isn't supporting old OS up to 10.8 (i think) I want to upgrade this laptop to 10.9 --- I want your opinion what should I do, should I update this mac to 10.9 or stick with the 10.6 I am web designer so I think it should be better if my pro is up to date...

Macbook 13"(i think late 2007) White A1181 configuration is:
    2 GHz Inter Core 2 Duo processor
    4GB RAM DDR2
    32bit

Any opinion is welcome, maybe this question is asked before but i cant keep searching and on any page its saying diferent.

2. r6mile macrumors 6502

That laptop officially only supports up to 10.7.5. There may be some hacks to allow you to install a newer OS though.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You have a MacBook (not a Pro). The maximum OS it will support is Lion (10.7.5) and it can be purchased from Apple. Unfortunately, your new Mac Book will not support OS 10.9.

EDIT: Like r6mile said.

4. Talevski thread starter macrumors newbie

Talevski

Thanks for the advice.

5. vista980622 macrumors 6502

The latest version of OS X that can be modified to run on your laptop, and that includes all the necessary graphics driver, is OS X 10.8.5. Take a look at MacPostFactor or MLForAll.

However, that wouldn't solve your Chrome issue - Chrome is cutting off support of 10.8 and below. With that said, if you choose to upgrade, go for OS X 10.8.5 even though the support is unofficial. OS X 10.8.5 is way less buggy and notably faster than OS X 10.7.5, although both are slower than OS X 10.6.x.

With these said, if you do not make use of features that are at the bleeding edge (and is unsupported by a lot of browsers anyways - I'm looking at you, Safari!), Chrome 49 should be fine for a few years. If you have the drive and time, you may (?) also take a look at Chromium's source code and compile a version for yourself.

Firefox and Opera are also great options :)