Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
There’s actually a third color that came out between these two... but great comparison! G3 Red is BRIGHT!

His old band is actually the G2. I don't have the new G3 Red but it's on the way with my new watch. Here is G1 (Left) and G2 (right) of these bands though. (I just realized how similar this photo makes them look. They are similar for sure but not this similar in person!)

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 206

Stormclouds

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I really wish the SE had blue and red options. I'd consider picking up a blue SE in addition to my Series 6 just to have a fun color to swap out with once in a while.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
I read that the Milanese loop for Graphite is PVD coated and not DLC like the watch itself.. Probably due to complaints from the SBSS Milanese loop

Who wants to test??

Oh. I’m really trying to resist ordering a Graphite S6 to go along with my SS and SBSS S5s. I’ve also resisted getting the SBSS Milanese because I don’t want to ruin my Watch by accident and I don’t like the silver Milanese enough to get one. If the Graphite isn’t a Watch destroyer however...

dzx84

macrumors member
May 21, 2020
London, UK
Not sure if this was discussed before, I did try searching this forum, but have you all received edition colours for some watch-faces in watchOS 7? Not that I'm complaining, was a nice surprise actually. Got both titanium colours and ceramic on my stainless steel series 5 44mm
unnamed.jpg

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
His old band is actually the G2. I don't have the new G3 Red but it's on the way with my new watch. Here is G1 (Left) and G2 (right) of these bands though. (I just realized how similar this photo makes them look. They are similar for sure but not this similar in person!)
My mistake! Thanks!

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Glad I could help. I doubt most normal people know there have been 3 versions of that band now. Hahah!
It's the G2 that distracted me. I didn't see the purple side and didn't zoom in on the edges, thought it was the solid red G1, and just went with it.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I really am enjoying this new blue color. Hopefully we will get an iPhone in the same color this year as well.
44mm GPS blue aluminum with charcoal sport loop

I wasn’t going to upgrade. But thisis the combo I want! Looks awesome!

Reactions: Csp528

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Not sure if this was discussed before, I did try searching this forum, but have you all received edition colours for some watch-faces in watchOS 7? Not that I'm complaining, was a nice surprise actually. Got both titanium colours and ceramic on my stainless steel series 5 44mm View attachment 955426
Yeah it was in the beta and I wondered if it would survive to GM and when it did we surmised that Apple is just streamlining the software stack down to Vanilla-Nike-Hermes

Reactions: JBlass421 and dzx84

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Series 6 in Titanium, picked it up at the store today while the one I ordered right after the keynote is arriving Monday and will be promptly returned.

Replaced a Stainless Steel Series 4, which replaces the gold aluminum Series 2.

Attachments

• BC9E3C21-0FA0-49F8-A37A-ABBC7C3A1CE5.jpeg
    BC9E3C21-0FA0-49F8-A37A-ABBC7C3A1CE5.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 352

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
Lol. I think technically DLC is a subset of PVD. But I hear you, the GML could be a non-DLC PVD. @jamieinoc probably knows
I haven’t gotten a straight answer on the Milanese. Apple sales swears that the watch is DLC, though. DLC is formed through PVD, but so are far less scratch reisistant coatings like the Gold Apple Watch coating.

DLC is far more durable and scratch resistant than standard PVD (and PVD is more scratch resistant than bare metal).

PVD stands for Physical Vapor Deposition and involves vaporizing a metal and then condensing it on the watch case to form a protective (and colored) film.

DLC involves vaporizing carbon particles and fusing them to the surface of the watch case through PVD until they form an extremely hard and protective finish on the metal case of the watch. This Diamond Like Coating is extremely hard (as hard as diamonds) and therefore is more likely to scratch a surface it comes into contact with than become scratched itself.

Carbon is black so my fear is that the lighter color of the new Graphite watch indicates less carbon in the PVD vapor during the DLC process and therefore a less scratch resistant coating.

Reactions: athousandbands

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
I haven’t gotten a straight answer on the Milanese. Apple sales swears that the watch is DLC, though. DLC is formed through PVD, but so are far less scratch reisistant coatings like the Gold Apple Watch coating.

DLC is far more durable and scratch resistant than standard PVD (and PVD is more scratch resistant than bare metal).

PVD stands for Physical Vapor Deposition and involves vaporizing a metal and then condensing it on the watch case to form a protective (and colored) film.

DLC involves vaporizing carbon particles and fusing them to the surface of the watch case through PVD until they form an extremely hard and protective finish on the metal case of the watch. This Diamond Like Coating is extremely hard (as hard as diamonds) and therefore is more likely to scratch a surface it comes into contact with than become scratched itself.

Carbon is black so my fear is that the lighter color of the new Graphite watch indicates less carbon in the PVD vapor during the DLC process and therefore a less scratch resistant coating.
I’m on with Store support now and my hopes are low...they keep asking what size my watch is lol. I told them the truth, I said 40, 42, 44. Planning to wear it with my gray ceramic. Do you know if DLC is harder than ceramic?

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
I’m on with Store support now and my hopes are low...they keep asking what size my watch is lol. I told them the truth, I said 40, 42, 44. Planning to wear it with my gray ceramic. Do you know if DLC is harder than ceramic?
Yes. DLC is a 9 on the Mohs hardness scale so anything over a 9 (including actual diamond at 10) will damage the coating. Also the substrate is still a soft stainless steel, the dlc is only a coating. So hadd enough bumps could result in dents in the steel.

Ceramic on the other hand can be scratched by abrasion from the SBSS Milanese loop but is far more resistant to damage by striking force than the SBSS. Zirconia ceramic’s hardness is 8.5 on the Mohs scale.

Last edited:
  • Love

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Yes. DLC is a 9 on the Mohs hardness scale so anything over a 9 (including actual diamond at 10 will damage the coating). Also the substrate is still a soft stainless feel, the dlc is only a coating. So hadd enough bumps could result in dents in the steel.

Ceramic on the other hand can be scratched by abrasion from the SBSS Milanese loop but is far more resistant to damage by striking force than the SBSS. Zirconia ceramic’s hardness is 8.5 on the Mohs scale.
My king! Ok so just to be safe I will not let the GML mesh touch the Star Destroyer’s body and I will be extra careful as I continue to slide the SBLB into the Star Destroyer’s body...

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
Take this with ten billion million grains of salt:
View attachment 955503
That guy is clueless. The regular PVD gold is “scratch resistant”, that means nothing.
[automerge]1600475832[/automerge]
My king! Ok so just to be safe I will not let the GML mesh touch the Star Destroyer’s body and I will be extra careful as I continue to slide the SBLB into the Star Destroyer’s body...
The good news is that it almost impossible for the space black LB to make contact with the back of the watch, because the band is so rigid.

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
That guy is clueless. The regular PVD gold is “scratch resistant”, that means nothing.
[automerge]1600475832[/automerge]

The good news is that it almost impossible for the space black LB to make contact with the back of the watch, because the band is so rigid.
Yep and worst case scenario it’s the inside of the Gray Ceramic slot that would be scratched by the Bracelet lugs.

And do they usually give the support people demos? I was under the impression that they all worked from home before covid?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.