Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you shower with your AW3?

• yes

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • no

Votes: 90 53.9%

• Total voters

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I have the SS band and I don’t know if it would be okay in the shower anyway.

Applemacfan

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
I don’t, especially if I have a leather strap on. Also, having the 38mm AW3 I usually put it on the charger whenever I have a chance. ;)

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I don’t wear my watch until I’ve had my shower in the morning. It stays on its charger overnight. I wouldn’t worry about it getting wet per se, but hot water and soap are probably not great for it.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I already showered with the S0 and do so with the S3 as well. Tim Cook himself set the precedence and I would be very surprised if the occasional drop of shower lotion or foam would do any harm to the AW. Of course you could have the odd lemon, as with any device. But I'd consider that as the exception reinforcing the rule.

Only problem I would see is taking the AW (irrespective of generation) with you into a bath and submerge it there. Because this would mean direct and prolonged exposure to that soap substances that could do real harm to the seals.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I don't, I wouldn't worry about soap though, they advertise it as a swimming watch and swimming pools are full of chlorine which is surely worse than soap and people also swim in salt water so I really doubt it's vulnerable to shampoo but I don't shower with it mainly because I find it annoying.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I already showered with the S0 and do so with the S3 as well. Tim Cook himself set the precedence.

There is no direct evidence that Tim Cook actually said this in quotes. This was actually an employee (In Germany) stating they actually overheard or was privately told Tim Cook Mentioned this about the first generation Apple Watch when it launched in 2015, that he showered with it on. Although I'm inclined to believe that he did say this, it was never actually confirmed Concretely.

However, the first generation Apple Watch does have an IPX7 splash resistance rating. Although many have showered with it, experiencing no problems using it in the shower, which Apple likely undermined it's rating.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

https://9to5mac.com/2015/02/25/apple-watch-water-apple-pay-europe/

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/02/25/apple-watch-water-resistance-shower/

https://amp.businessinsider.com/tim-cook-apparently-showers-with-his-apple-watch-2015-2
[doublepost=1508314082][/doublepost]
I don't, I wouldn't worry about soap though

Except Apple directly states not to and it wouldn't be worth risking warranty or costly repairs:

Direct from Apples website:

"We recommend not exposing Apple Watch to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes as they can negatively affect water seals and acoustic membranes."

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
There is no direct evidence that Tim Cook actually said this in quotes. This was actually an employee (In Germany) stating they actually overheard or was privately told Tim Cook Mentioned this about the first generation Apple Watch when it launched in 2015, that he showered with it on. Although I'm inclined to believe that he did say this, it was never actually confirmed Concretely.

However, the first generation Apple Watch does have an IPX7 splash resistance rating. Although many have showered with it, experiencing no problems using it in the shower, which Apple likely undermined it's rating.

https://9to5mac.com/2015/02/25/apple-watch-water-apple-pay-europe/

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/02/25/apple-watch-water-resistance-shower/

https://amp.businessinsider.com/tim-cook-apparently-showers-with-his-apple-watch-2015-2
[doublepost=1508314082][/doublepost]

Except Apple directly states not to and it wouldn't be worth risking warranty or costly repairs:

Direct from Apples website:

"We recommend not exposing Apple Watch to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes as they can negatively affect water seals and acoustic membranes."

Well yeah but again, they advertise it as swimming watch and the ph level of chlorine is much higher than any products you can use on your body so I doubt someone would refuse to repair it because someone would surely sue them for false advertising or something.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
There is no direct evidence that Tim Cook actually said this in quotes. This was actually an employee (In Germany) stating they actually overheard or was privately told Tim Cook

Apple would've "briefed" one of many industry contacts to debunk this story, without an "official" statement and referring customers to the specs. Silence can be taken as an implicit endorsement. It's been so widely reported (as you've duly noted) you think Apple would be stupid enough not to correct it had it been a real issue?

PS I shower with my S0 and a couple of times the S3 before returning that. Ironically it was the advertised as "swim proof" AW2 that drowned - in the pool, within 15 minutes!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well yeah but again, they advertise it as swimming watch and the ph level of chlorine is much higher than any products you can use on your body so I doubt someone would refuse to repair it because someone would surely sue them for false advertising or something.

Clearly the Apple Watch is rated for pool use and we all know Apple probably spent a lot of research and development being used in a pool. But lotions and perfume's have a different consistency and could have more negative side effects. So saying "I doubt someone would refuse to repair it" isn't a decision for you make, its Apples. Again, why risk it.
[doublepost=1508316747][/doublepost]
Apple would've "briefed" one of many industry contacts to debunk this story, without an "official" statement and referring customers to the specs. Silence can be taken as an implicit endorsement. It's been so widely reported (as you've duly noted) you think Apple would be stupid enough not to correct it had it been a real issue?

PS I shower with my S0 and a couple of times the S3 before returning that. Ironically it was the advertised as "swim proof" AW2 that drowned!

Again, I don't doubt Tim Cook stated this. But it was only heavily rumored and never confirmed as far I have researched, which was my initial point. But that's how Apple down plays some of their products when it comes to water resistance ratings. Also, some first generation Apple Watch owners had immediate failure with their Apple Watches with water exposure and there was one forum member who mentioned he had over 600 showers with his first generation Apple Watch with no issues at all. So it's all variable and there's no guarantee with the water resistance rating in general for the first Gen/Series 1. Especially given the first generation Apple Watch is only splash resistance rated, but results were Variable.

Last edited:

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Again, I don't doubt Tim Cook stated this.

The point is moot. If Tim Cook has a problem with his Watch, it gets fixed - for "free". If we take a risk, as you say that's on us. Buy no need to baby it.

Fact is I swam with my S0 for months till it finally died, so it could drown, but I'm sure in my case I damaged the seal and was in the (warm) water for way to long. A quick dip for 30 minutes and drying out afterwards should've been ok.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Shower, bathe, swim. Set it to water resistant first. No issues at all. Rather than shower gel et al, with my personal usage I'm more concerned about salt damage from the sea so always try to remember to rinse it afterwards.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm more concerned about salt damage from the sea so always try to remember to rinse it afterwards.

And that's what you're supposed to do, is rinse it off with fresh water after using it in the Ocean, which is recommended by Apple.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I regularly wear my AW in the shower after a lunchtime run or an after-work gym workout. The watch sees little to no contact with body wash suds in this instance. Never an issue in the year I owned my AW2, so I have no concerns with my AW3.

I have the SS band and I don’t know if it would be okay in the shower anyway.

FYI, they've been making residential and commercial kitchen sinks out of stainless steel for a very long time. They seem to hold up pretty well to frequent contact with water and soap. :)

Reactions: gemnilocs

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I "shower" with it for that quick-rinse after a swim, but I habitually remove any items from my body when showering.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
actually the speaker....
Indeed. I showered the other day with my S3 and after I was finished and ejected the water, I wanted to create a reminder using Siri on the watch. No chance - Siri would not even notice that I explicitly called for her attention ...
[doublepost=1508336129][/doublepost]
FYI, they've been making residential and commercial kitchen sinks out of stainless steel for a very long time. They seem to hold up pretty well to frequent contact with water and soap. :)
The problem does not lie in the housing (be it stainless or aluminium), but in the seals and membranes, which are much more sensitive to oil and soap than the housing itself.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I shower with the Watch after a run or a gym workout. One of the reasons is that it keeps the sport loop clean and free of sweat. I only do this when I have the sport loop or band on.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The problem does not lie in the housing (be it stainless or aluminium), but in the seals and membranes, which are much more sensitive to oil and soap than the housing itself.

RMSko referenced the stainless steel band. Just where exactly in the band are these seals and membranes you're referencing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.