Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sign In with Apple, which will be available on iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and the web, is one of the new features that Apple announced today. It's designed to let you sign into apps using your Apple ID for authentication purposes, offering up a convenient, privacy-focused alternative to signing in with Facebook, Google, or Twitter.

According to updated App Store guidelines that Apple provided to developers today, Sign In with Apple is going to be a mandatory feature for all apps that offer up third-party sign-in options.

signinwithapple.jpg
Sign In with Apple will be available for beta testing this summer. It will be required as an option for users in apps that support third-party sign-in when it is commercially available later this year.
That means if an app lets you log in using your Facebook or Google logins, the app will also need to provide an alternative Sign in with Apple option too. Developers won't be required to add Sign In with Apple if logins are done just using a username and password.

Sign In with Apple authenticates a user with Face ID or Touch ID, and keeps personal information safe from app and website developers. It's designed to let Apple users create a new account in an app using a one-click button without leaking user data.

Apple's solution will provide users with an alternative to using Google or Facebook, providing convenience without sacrificing privacy.

Sign In with Apple also has one other privacy feature - it lets you create a randomly-generated email address that hides your own email address when you're signing up for an app or service.

"It's good news because we each get a unique random address, and that means you can disable any one of them at anytime when you're tired of hearing from that app," said Craig Federighi on stage this morning when introducing the feature. "It's really great."

Article Link: Sign In With Apple Will Be Required for Apps That Offer Third-Party Sign-In Options

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
I love this...

However, I want them to also make random payment information that connects to a debit/credit card. I read about an app that does this... Would be great if Apple did it. Decoy email and payment method would be amazing.

Reactions: Wide opeN

canyonblue737

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
How easy is it to untangle when you want to jump ship from Apple?

Ummmm, you could just buy an Android and sign up using Facebook ID etc. in their apps. Also this doesn't prevent you from using Facebook or Google ID to sign into 3rd party apps, just that Apple ID has to be an option offered IF your app offers a 3rd party sign on, the idea being Apple's is the only one to really protect your privacy. Also be aware if a 3rd party app offers its own sign on system (ie. your create an user ID / password specifically for that app) it isn't required to offer Apple ID sign on.

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
I love this...

However, I want them to also make random payment information that connects to a debit/credit card. I read about an app that does this... Would be great if Apple did it. Decoy email and payment method would be amazing.
ApplePay does this already.

To clarify: Try using ApplePay at a store and look at the number on the receipt. It'll change every time.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
I love this...

you do realize this is EXACTLY what Apple Pay does. If you use Apple Pay online it gives the site you are buying from a one use only CC number not the real number so if they get hacked you don't lose your CC to some hacker.

Timemaster

Suspended
Feb 7, 2019
This is a nice feature but I do worry that requiring it to be fully support this year is a little soon. Mostly because in the enterprise world things move slowly. It should be given a year from the date of full support (not beta) before it is required.

Reactions: miniyou64

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Sure.. But what if you could sign into, say, Doordash with Apple ID. I choose to give them my name, a fake email, and a decoy credit card number that is tried to my real card. In the event of a breach on Doordash's end, I would be protected.

I know Apple Pay does this, but not every app supports it.
[doublepost=1559604619][/doublepost]Or alternatively.. if this is true... Since Apple is requiring Apple ID for every app using Facebook and Google sign in... Why not make Apple Pay required on any app taking payment methods such as Paypal?

Reactions: macfacts

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Ummmm, you could just buy an Android and sign up using Facebook ID etc. in their apps. Also this doesn't prevent you from using Facebook or Google ID to sign into 3rd party apps, just that Apple ID has to be an option offered IF your app offers a 3rd party sign on, the idea being Apple's is the only one to really protect your privacy. Also be aware if a 3rd party app offers its own sign on system (ie. your create an user ID / password specifically for that app) it isn't required to offer Apple ID sign on.

Wouldn't be using Google, Facebook or any Oauth nonsense. I'm asking how difficult it would be to untangle if a user leaves the Apple ecosystem, as some services don't let you change email address (in fact, way too many when I recently audited all of my logins). Hopefully Apple hasn't requested that this token is embedded and the email address can be changed outside of Apple's new process (I'm not taking anything for granted).

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

To clarify: Try using ApplePay at a store and look at the number on the receipt. It'll change every time.

you do realize this is EXACTLY what Apple Pay does. If you use Apple Pay online it gives the site you are buying from a one use only CC number not the real number so if they get hacked you don't lose your CC to some hacker.

Incorrect. Apple Pay uses the same number every time. It is different from your physical card number, but it is kept for the life of the virtual card.

This is necessary for refunds and for transit, where they use your number to track your movement through gates. It would also cause issues if you had to use your device offline.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Incorrect. Apple Pay uses the same number every time. It is different from your physical card number, but it is kept for the life of the virtual card.

This is necessary for refunds and for transit, where they use your number to track your movement through gates. It would also cause issues if you had to use your device offline.

Surely they track the token assigned during the transaction. There is no good reason to have a static token for multiple transactions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.