Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Yes, I saw that. My question was how will Apple enforce this requirement, if someone tries to do otherwise.

When they review your app, they can visually see it. I’m not sure what you’re asking anymore. The QA approval process includes runbooks and test flights for these things

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
FANTASTIC. I wish people acknowledged that for all their flaws and imperfections it is ONLY Apple trying to make a real difference in online safety and privacy in 2019.

This needs to be said over and over and over until the media and then the public understand it. None of other major tech players are doing anything like this and as some of us may have noticed, it’s because Apple is not primarily an advertising company.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Using Gmail doesn't lock you in to android devices forever.

Using google photos does.

If your currently using google photos and want to leave your going have to export your photos individually.

Using gmail collects all your purchases into a separate folder that you can’t edit or delete. Just more examples of google data mining their users.

Android and google aren’t made for users that value thier privacy.

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Wouldn't be using Google, Facebook or any Oauth nonsense. I'm asking how difficult it would be to untangle if a user leaves the Apple ecosystem, as some services don't let you change email address (in fact, way too many when I recently audited all of my logins). Hopefully Apple hasn't requested that this token is embedded and the email address can be changed outside of Apple's new process (I'm not taking anything for granted).

Pretty sure they said you can use sign in with apple on android as well. Can’t see how an app developer would allow you to make an account using your apple sign in and then never let you log back in unless you’re still using an apple device.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
This needs to be said over and over and over until the media and then the public understand it. None of other major tech players are doing anything like this and as some of us may have noticed, it’s because Apple is not primarily an advertising company.

I can’t wait for Black Mirror to have a dystopian episode about this.

Reactions: Wide opeN

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
How easy is it to untangle when you want to jump ship from Apple?
The same way when I quit Facebook. I had to start over with my accounts that used Facebook login.

Spotify account with Facebook login? You need to create a new Spotify account, which means you lose all of your customizations and preferences. It was a pain but in the end, I'm no longer a part of Facebook!

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Using Gmail doesn't lock you in to android devices forever.
so does Apple sign in (with respect to iPhones). you keep your Apple account if you sell all of your Apple devices.
[doublepost=1559612994][/doublepost]
Not sure why everyone is getting so defensive about a genuine question, already being asked by a number of security folks (ref Twitter).

i'm answering the question rhetorically. you untangle away from Apple the same way you untangle away from Gmail.

Reactions: ignatius345

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Its nice having it on web, but I think it still requires you to have an apple device for auth or appleid login.

you don't. even if you sell your iphone, you'd probably setup two step verification on your android device and Apple will send you an SMS to sign in.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
How will this work with PCs and Androids. Not everyone lives in a 100% Mac-only world. When I have signed into e.g. Instagram with Apple, will I be able to sign into it on Android too ‘via Apple’?

Reactions: HacKage

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
This is why developers need a competing App Store on iOS. Apple is forcing it’s own solution arbitrarily with no alternative. If Apple had competition, this rule would cause many apps to leave for the other app stores (along with the many other arbitrary Apple rules) and Apple would be forced to be more developer friendly

Reactions: iWarnedYou

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
What? It's making it mandatory if there are already other alternatives given as a choice (log in with Facebook, log in with Google).
Yes, that is still forcing. If I am a developer who only wants to let users authenticate with Facebook, Apple is telling me I cannot. And I cannot distribute an app without Apple's approval.

Considering Apple just today found out the DOJ was authorized to investigate Apple, the timing is impeccable.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/1...ity-facebook-google-amazon-ftc-investigations

Reactions: iWarnedYou

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
They could maybe solve this problem by offering optional 2 factor. The only problem with 2 factor is that it takes more time and people want to instantly sign in.

Two-factor is a different animal than OnePassword. OnePassword exists to support single-password sign-ins. Yes, it keeps those passwords securely hidden, but it's still a single password.

Two-factor exists to reduce the odds that a person who tricks you out of your password or gets your password during a security breach of a bank, website, etc. will be able to access/take over an account. In addition to the password, they must have a second "key" - typically access to your phone (SMS message) or email account. A hacker halfway around the world won't have that (or shouldn't - that's why each password should be unique).

Yes, two locks on the door is more bother than one, and a lot of people would prefer to avoid two-factor, whether on their Apple devices, when signing into their bank web site, resetting their Google password... which is why all these different companies are so annoying about getting us to start using it. ;-)

I would assume the same difficulty as if you wanted to jump ship from Facebook or Google. Good point and should be considered when using this feature. Hopefully it is as easy as changing the email.
It ought to be, and almost definitely is. The trick is you need to make that change before you jump ship, everywhere that you use it.

It isn't a big trick, as far as I'm concerned, but it's amazing how many people don't consider the consequences before doing something. "Before I change it, do I have any accounts that depend on this email address/phone number?" Simple question, amazing how many people don't ask it of themselves. Other people make up passwords and passcodes without making a record of them - they're focused on the destination (I wanna start using my new computing device!) and don't pause a second to think (or write).

In the end, who is responsible for the messes they find themselves in? It's always the service provider, right?

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I'd like to see how it works when you're not using your iPhone or whatever. Say I sign up for Strava with my iPhone with the fake email and no personal information, and I want to login on a desktop to check something, how do I login using the Apple method on a Windows machine running Chrome?

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
Somehing I have been wanting for years, hopefully no more 10minutemail.

In my opinion Apple should make Sign In with Apple required for all apps, regardless whether they use a their own sign in / account system or a third-party like Google

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I was wondering how they were gonna convince everyone to start adapting it, this is great
The wrong way to go forcing people to use something.
[doublepost=1559640126][/doublepost]
Why are people saying this is anti-trust?
Its like third line forcing in financial circles.

Not sure why you are defending Apple forcing developers to add this.

Reactions: pinchies

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
And this is precisely why the iOS App Store should not be opened up. Make all developers have to go through the App Store any play by Apple’s rules if they want to access us customers.

We users benefit because honestly, how many developers would implement this if they didn’t have to? Some are probably happy to get us to use Facebook login so they can scrape our data.

If it sucks for the developers, it means they were likely doing something wrong in the first place. As a consumer, I can’t think of a reason not to use said feature every chance I get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.