Sign that next MBP will have Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Akira1980, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

2. cmaier macrumors G3

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

exactly what i was thinking......

50gb a disc is a joke....64gb memory sticks will be $40 by next year....

itunes is to sell digital media...apple is not going to ruin that with a bluray drive...

4. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I have been saying and being berated for months now that blu-ray is coming next year. Looks like I was right as usual.

5. Akira1980 thread starter macrumors 6502

Akira1980

6. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

Sorry, what?!

I'd say that Steve's absence was the best chance of Blu-Ray and he would have been out of that hospital bed like a shot.

7. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Why would he? Everyone's waiting for it, I know I am.

8. dennis123123 macrumors member

Blu-ray sucks! It even has a website: http://bluraysucks.com/

I will never purchase a bluray drive or disc. I need to get a new macbook while I still can!

9. cmaier macrumors G3

uh huh. sure they will. I'm sure that the macbook air was just a fluke and the upcoming tablets will probably be another fluke and this is completely different than dropping floppy drives, dropping firewire, dropping .... oh, never mind.

Apple is merciless when it comes to dropping old technology. They'll happily sell you a $50 external usb dvd drive in order to drop the dvd from the laptop if that makes the most engineering/cost/reliability/practicality sense.

Given that thumb drives will probably be as cheap as blu-ray disks within 10 years at the same capacity, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for your scenario.

10. RKpro macrumors 6502

I personally don't care one way or the other, I haven't purchased movies/music on optical media since 2003.

But I'm not sure about Apple adopting Blueray...
    1. Optical media is dead weight on a portable machine, and it's a battery killer.
    2. Blueray will not reach the market penetration of DVD because of digital downloads.

11. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

FCS now has native BD support. Finder has has the ability to read and write BDs (but not copy-protected) since at least Leopard. In my mind, this points to BD drives being added as a BTO option on Mac Pros by the next revision or earlier.

12. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Personally, I don't care one way or another if they have blue ray.

If I ever want a blu ray movie, I will buy a dedicated machine to watch it.

If I even need one for my computer, I will buy an external.

Really, other than the OS DVD, I don't need the optical drive.

13. cmaier macrumors G3

I think it will be an option on Mac Pros, and maybe on the 17" MBP at some point, and that the other macbooks will lose optical drives altogether. Possibly they keep them in the MBPs and use that to differentiate from the regular macbooks, which lose optical disks altogether.

14. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I would love to have a Blu-Ray burner in my MBP to back up all sorts of files and directories that I currently have to span across multiple discs. However, in order for Apple to install Blu-Ray drives in the current design of the MacBook Pro, OEM's need to design drives that are 9.5mm tall. I don't currently know of any shipping product that meets that requirement. Offering Blu-Ray on the Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac Mini should be trivial at best. I don't think that it should be a standard configuration on any system, though, since the added cost is not something that can be justified by all consumers. A BTO option would be nice and put criticism of Apple's lack of Blu-Ray to rest.

16. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Why? For $20 or less, you can backup 50 GB of data. You can watch a 1080p movie. You can fit an entire iTunes library on one disc. Well worth it, IMO. If I had the funds, I'd buy a (Sony, of course) BD player and a couple of BD drives for the desktops of the house.

17. soms macrumors 6502

soms

No thanks, not a fan of blu-ray and there is no need. With the price of harddrives now, and usb drives for basically free there isn't a point.

Yes, but you can do the same with a USB drive/harddrive, and you can re-use them.

Blu-Ray is just WAY overpriced right now and even if it does ever catch on, it won't be for a few years. Enjoy spending $30 for a BD when you can easily get the dvd version for $10-15

18. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You can reuse a BD, too, as long as it's an RW. Same with DVD.

Overpriced? No, not for all you get over DVD, like BD Live, downloadable content, and other cool stuff. It's like the difference between 6th an 7th generation game consoles. 6th gen: No real OS, online capabilities left to developers. 7th gen: Full-fledged OS with tons of amazing features, lots of online content, and in some cases, cough, PS3, cough, a new storage medium.

I will, because I'm getting highest quality video and audio available to the consumer (although any receiver in the house is too old to get truly awesome sound out of it), while you're getting 480p with 5.1 surround sound, at best.

Last DVD-DL-size flash drive I saw was $20. About the same as a BD-DL. A HDD is a good solution, but not nearly as portable or compatible.

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Blue ray was a very promising backup format. Their decision to keep media prices high to prevent movie piracy is what killed it in the first place (as a storage medium). Flash and HDD prices are just dropping too fast for it to compete anymore.

By the way I got a slow kingston data traveller 16gb for 24 euros today. Almost 2 DL disks

20. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

downloadable content comes free on my apple tv, bluray and media are dying.

games are being digitally downloaded more then bought...world of warcraft is a prime example.

a bluray movie on my 1080p tv does not look that great over dvd....not the extra $10-15 thats for sure.

every person has there own opinion i suppose.

21. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You do know any new technology costs an arm and a leg at first, correct? SSDs are very expensive now, but like everything else that is technology, it will be dirt cheap in a few years. Same with DVD.

Flash drives still have too low a capacity at too high a price; a 32 GB is at least $60, while a 50 GB BD is around $20. HDD, like I said, is too heavy and bulky. Plus a HDD could be in any of many formats, which, depending on your OS, may not work on your computer.

22. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yea...sony did back the technology...they charge the same markup they charge on there overpriced sub par laptops.

the sony pee series was a prime example...999 for a craptastic netbook....

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Indeed. Which is why Apple should have a BR option.

24. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

What about those of us who don't have an Apple TV?

You mean I don't have to pay? I'd like some real data to back this up.

Your TV must be on the smaller (for 1080p) side. On the 52'' Sony at my house, DVD looks just OK, while BD looks fantastic, almost like you're there.

25. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

My theory is that the MBP will get bluray drives in the near future but the macbook will loose its optical drive altogether in favor of a large battery, thinner case, and possibly a second hard drive. I think the macbook will change into a thin entertainment centered device.