Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's been my experience that they've replied to every single one of my requests, even when I've aired my grievances. It may take a few days and I may not always agree with their response but I do always get one, gotta give them credit for that.

Likewise.

It may take a few days, or a little over a week, but I have received response whenever I communicated with them. Besides, I am mindful that the mods are volunteers, rather than salaried employees.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Can you imagine what this website would be like without moderators? (Really, think about that for a minute) It would be complete chaos across the board and I have read were some of most notable members on this website would not participate if it was not for the moderators. I understand the context of this thread and I may have already mentioned it earlier, I would not participate if it was not for the moderators. Too many times, I feel there are those who simply don’t acknowledge the forum rules when they are admonished or simply choose to not heed the warning given, and then when they receive a temporary ban, yet, they want to place blame on the moderators for their own doing?

I just find it shocking that the ones who are most upset with moderators, are the ones that sometimes are the most problematic, yet, there are thousands of forum members on here that have cordial discussion every single day that don’t violate the rules and they are civil with each other amongst various threads, and they likely don’t even know the moderators exist. I’m not saying no one can complain, because I gather that’s part of what this thread is about, I wanted to indicate the differentiation for those who want to ‘point the finger’ at the moderators, but *Don't* want take action for their own responsibilities for things that they actually posted that shouldn’t have been in the first place.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Can you imagine what this website would be like without moderators? (Really, think about that for a minute) It would be complete chaos across the board and I have read were some of most notable members on this website would not participate if it was not for the moderators. I understand the context of this thread and I may have already mentioned it earlier, I would not participate if it was not for the moderators. Too many times, I feel there are those who simply don’t acknowledge the forum rules when they are admonished or simply choose to not heed the warning given, and then when they receive a temporary ban, yet, they want to place blame on the moderators for their own doing?

I just find it shocking that the ones who are most upset with moderators, are the ones that sometimes are the most problematic, yet, there are thousands of forum members on here that have cordial discussion every single day that don’t violate the rules and they are civil with each other amongst various threads, and they likely don’t even know the moderators exist. I’m not saying no one can complain, because I gather that’s part of what this thread is about, I wanted to indicate the differentiation for those who want to ‘point the finger’ at the moderators, but *Don't* want take action for their own responsibilities for things that they actually posted that shouldn’t have been in the first place.
Fair points, it's their house and their rules, pay by them. I get it. I'll also add that while there can be some pretty messy debates that deserve moderation, many of us have been slapped on the wrist (or more) for what are generally small tiffs or just that you've offended someone unintentionally.

Someone who doesn't agree with your point of view reports it and the mods pretty much act against you right away. They've debated that point a few times here and I appreciate their feedback. However, when you actually see what led up to the action, sometimes it's highly unjust even if you're not involved in the post.

Just my .02

Reactions: MacNut

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Fair points, it's their house and their rules, pay by them. I get it. I'll also add that while there can be some pretty messy debates that deserve moderation, many of us have been slapped on the wrist (or more) for what are generally small tiffs or just that you've offended someone unintentionally.

Someone who doesn't agree with your point of view reports it and the mods pretty much act against you right away. They've debated that point a few times here and I appreciate their feedback. However, when you actually see what led up to the action, sometimes it's highly unjust even if you're not involved in the post.

Just my .02

And all of what you said may very well be true, but what I think is a nice feature, is that you can use the contact form if you want further explanation on what transpired, which the administrators will respond when they can versus leaving the member confused why they received the ban/warning they did, if they have further questions about the incident.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Well said and a necessary and welcome post.

Reactions: I7guy

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
And all of what you said may very well be true, but what I think is a nice feature, is that you can use the contact form if you want further explanation on what transpired, which the administrators will respond when they can versus leaving the member confused why they received the ban/warning they did, if they have further questions about the incident.
There is that, they've always been consistent about it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
...Someone who doesn't agree with your point of view reports it and the mods pretty much act against you right away. They've debated that point a few times here and I appreciate their feedback. However, when you actually see what led up to the action, sometimes it's highly unjust even if you're not involved in the post....
I’d say that this happens because of rules violations. There have been two or three(?) public moderation threads recently. They are extremely instructive.

However no matter how many times the staff says they are impartial and don’t take sides, the aggrieved will not believe that. I’m in not saying every mod action is 100% fair, just, correct, but the percentage isn’t 0% either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
There is a contact from you sent in yesterday that is pending a reply from the admins. It has not been overlooked. The admins are also volunteers, so it can sometimes take a few days for one of them to get through these.

Yeah, got the response today. And as expected, the mods tied themselves into pretzels telling me why I was wrong and the other person did nothing wrong.

There are times the moderation here totally blows.

TestedLion

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011

I edited my original post. I apologize for this impartial and uninformative reponse. Best of luck to OP.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Yeah, got the response today. And as expected, the mods tied themselves into pretzels telling me why I was wrong and the other person did nothing wrong.

There are times the moderation here totally blows.

Unsurprising. What's that Zendesk article say "moderation is almost always correct"? Up yourselves much?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I’d like to throw an idea out here, specifically regarding moderation of comments that correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. I find some of these types of moderation to be the least effective, and I would imagine, a real time and energy suck for the mods.

The concept of not nitpicking other people's writing was born in the era of usenet and BBS, when people were on 28K dial up, and kilobytes came down the pipe slowly and expensively. You literally didn't want to waste bandwidth discussing they're vs their vs there. Back then, that made more sense.

But here we are in 2018 with broadband on a variety of devices, and the argument for not discussing spelling/grammar, etc. doesn't really hold much water anymore. At least in my book.

A forum is rooted in the written word. We generally do not post YouTube video comments and replies. We post typed words.

Sometimes a few of those words are typed incorrectly. But many times, it’s an entire post of unspaceduncapitalizedmizzspeltramblings or lazy texting-style speak. And those kinds of posts are trending up in my estimation.

Should we be nitpicking every uncrossed t un-dotted I in every post? No. But if a post is incoherent, (typically) full of grammatical and factual errors, should we not let the poster know?

What if no one ever pointed out to a loved one or friend or newbie that typing in all caps is considered shouting?

What if EVERY post had no paragraphs or periods?

What if some non-native English speakers are actually grateful to have some feedback on their writing?

I think the entire "English isn't their first language so be nice" argument is a PC copout. "Excusing me. Can you help me get the Apple Computer repairing man?" is clearly written by someone for whom English is a second language. People RARELY pile on to those kinds of obviously non-English speaking user posts.

However, "can ppl tell me where there fav mac repair iz bcuz imago crayz if my screen dosent stop blinking and u guyz know i dont no so halp thx." is just an abomination of the language, written by someone who probably knows perfectly well that their spelling and grammar is crap.

These people clearly see others communicating in thoughtful, acceptable ways, and they choose to ignore the norm. When you barge into a forum and slam down a wall of incoherent text, it's like walking into a restaurant barefoot and jumping on the tables. Would a restaurant prevent people from complaining about that scenario because "the customer may not be from a place that has restaurants"?

What if no one corrected spelling and grammar any time, anywhere, ever? If no one ever pointed out poor spelling or grammar ever, anywhere, this forum, and every forum, and everywhere the written word exists, would be illegible and incomprehensible.

No one wants that. And yet, places with rules like MR’s enable the proliferation of bad writing.

THEIR IN LYES TEH PROMBLEM WITH MODERATING POSTS TAHT CORRECT GRAMER AND PUNTUATION.

If a forum isn’t the right place to do it, then where? I submit there’s no better place to help our fellow man communicate more successfully than a discussion forum. Clearly the schools are failing some people. A forum is quite possibly one of the only places many people ever read and critically, write.

Every time I come here I see more and more misuse of basic words. I regularly see a complete lack of concern for sentence structure and comprehensibility. And it’s usually obvious when it’s a language issue and when it’s a laziness or education issue.

So, what’s so wrong, exactly, with correcting someone’s writing? If someone makes a factual mistake, it’s ok to correct it, but if they post a wall of poorly spelled malformed text, it’s preferable to leave it be? Why? Because we don’t want to offend people who don’t speak English? We seem perfectly happy to offend people who don’t use iOS. Is it to ensure that the site isn’t overwhelmed by posts that correct grammar, so that there’s plenty of room left for threads discussing fedex tracking numbers?

The progress of mankind is rooted squarely in communication. Our ability to communicate successfully across borders and languages is a constant challenge and a continual goal.

The Mac saw its first wide acceptance and popularity in its ability to be used as a word processor. It seems a little ironic that a website dedicated to discussing hardware and software that has changed, and continues to change the way we communicate, would go out of its way to stop people from discussing, and improving, each other’s communication.

Last edited:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I’d like to throw an idea out here, specifically regarding moderation of comments that correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. I find some of these types of moderation to be the least effective, and I would imagine, a real time and energy suck for the mods.

The concept of not nitpicking other people's writing was born in the era of usenet and BBS, when people were on 28K dial up, and kilobytes came down the pipe slowly and expensively. You literally didn't want to waste bandwidth discussing they're vs their vs there. Back then, that made more sense.

But here we are in 2018 with broadband on a variety of devices, and the argument for not discussing spelling/grammar, etc. doesn't really hold much water anymore. At least in my book.

A forum is rooted in the written word. We generally do not post YouTube video comments and replies. We post typed words.

Sometimes a few of those words are typed incorrectly. But many times, it’s an entire post of unspaceduncapitalizedmizzspeltramblings or lazy texting-style speak. And those kinds of posts are trending up in my estimation.

Should we be nitpicking every uncrossed t un-dotted I in every post? No. But if a post is incoherent, (typically) full of grammatical and factual errors, should we not let the poster know?

What if no one ever pointed out to a loved one or friend or newbie that typing in all caps is considered shouting?

What if some non-native English speakers are actually grateful to have some feedback on their writing?

I think the entire "English isn't their first language so be nice" argument is a PC copout. "Excusing me. Can you help me get the Apple Computer repairing man?" is clearly written by someone for whom English is a second language. People RARELY pile on to those kinds of obviously non-English speaking user posts.

However, "can ppl tell me where there fav mac repair iz bcuz imago crayz if my screen dosent stop blinking and u guyz know i dont no so halp thx." is just an abomination of the language, written by someone who probably knows perfectly well that their spelling and grammar is crap.

These people clearly see others communicating in thoughtful, acceptable ways, and they choose to ignore the norm. When you barge into a forum and slam down a wall of incoherent text, it's like walking into a restaurant barefoot and jumping on the tables. Would a restaurant prevent people from complaining about that scenario because "the customer may not be from a place that has restaurants"?

What if no one corrected spelling and grammar any time, anywhere, ever? If no one ever pointed out poor spelling or grammar ever, anywhere, this forum, and every forum, and everywhere the written word exists, would be illegible and incomprehensible.

No one wants that. And yet, places with rules like MR’s enable the proliferation of bad writing.

THEIR IN LYES TEH PROMBLEM WITH MODERATING POSTS TAHT CORRECT GRAMER AND PUNTUATION.

If a forum isn’t the right place to do it, then where? I submit there’s no better place to help our fellow man communicate more successfully than a discussion forum. Clearly the schools are failing some people. A forum is quite possibly one of the only places many people ever read and critically, write.

Every time I come here I see more and more misuse of basic words. I regularly see a complete lack of concern for sentence structure and comprehensibility. And it’s usually obvious when it’s a language issue and when it’s a laziness or education issue.

So, what’s so wrong, exactly, with correcting someone’s writing? If someone makes a factual mistake, it’s ok to correct it, but if they post a wall of poorly spelled malformed text, it’s preferable to leave it be? Why? Because we don’t want to offend people who don’t speak English? We seem perfectly happy to offend people who don’t use iOS. Is it to ensure that the site isn’t overwhelmed by posts that correct grammar, so that there’s plenty of room left for threads discussing fedex tracking numbers?

The progress of mankind is rooted squarely in communication. Our ability to communicate successfully across borders and languages is a constant challenge and a continual goal.

The Mac saw its first wide acceptance and popularity in its ability to be used as a word processor. It seems a little ironic that a website dedicated to discussing hardware and software that has changed, and continues to change the way we communicate, would go out of its way to stop people from discussing, and improving, each other’s communication.

I read your post twice. Not just because I agree but because I really, really wanted to find something I could correct. The closest I got was:

"Should we be nitpicking every uncrossed t un-dotted I in every post?"

I think there should be a comma between t and undotted and undotted shouldn't have a hyphen.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO

I've read this before. Where else did you post it? Was it deleted? Am I a pre-cog?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Are you inferring posts get moderated on the basis of grammar, or are you saying people have gotten, sloppy and lazy and care not to write well? Or are you saying mods shouldn't moderate those who become the grammar police?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Are you inferring posts get moderated on the basis of grammar, or are you saying people have gotten, sloppy and lazy and care not to write well? Or are you saying mods shouldn't moderate those who become the grammar police?

They're __implying__, you're inferring from their implication.

** WOO **

@mcdj I had way too much fun reading your post, in fact, I think I'll read it again :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are you inferring posts get moderated on the basis of grammar
Posts are not moderated due to grammar or spelling, had that been the case, I would have been perma banned long ago. :eek:

We do have rules against members criticizing other member's spelling or grammar.

Minor Problems

8. Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal. Examples: Don't correct members who spell Mac in all caps or who call the iPod touch an iTouch. When other people (especially new members) fail to search and start new threads on old topics, don't scold them or make them feel unwelcome. The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a relevant thread or specific instructions for problem solving. Set a good example yourself by searching first before starting a thread if you have a question that may already have been answered in the forums or you want to discuss a topic that may already have been discussed

Reactions: I7guy

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Agree with @D.T.'s remark: I've also had way too much fun reading this post, @mcdj - exceedingly enjoyable.

Last edited:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Ok, here's a perfect example of the mods being over zealous, may I please talk about a recent mod action. Its a silly thing but I think proves my point about how mods must be biased against some or, at the very least, they all have different ideas of what the rules are leading to people being treated differently.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok, here's a perfect example of the mods being over zealous, may I please talk about a recent mod action. Its a silly thing but I think proves my point about how mods must be biased against some or, at the very least, they all have different ideas of what the rules are leading to people being treated differently.

If you have questions or disagree with moderation, you should send in a note using the Contact Us link:

https://forums.macrumors.com/misc/contact/

One of the site administrators will review your note and reply to you.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.