Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Hey guys I cant wait for the sims 3 to be out!! Does anyone know the official date? Whats new in this version.. From what I understood from the website youll be able to go all over the city without constently loading a new house/neighboorhood/or public place.. We will be free to go anywhere we want. For those who didn`t know about the 3rd edition look at the website it looks very promissing.

http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/home.jsp

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
The Sims became a bare bones piece of junk after they decided to make more money and effort in the expansion packs.

I hope Sims3 does away with expansion packs that ADD functionality on a base level that should have been in the game to begin with.

New jobs, clothing, things are fine. But dont change the underlying friggen code!

renodude91

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
SIMS Series are an awsome series of games!

I too can't wait for the new sims 3 to come out, but I'm hoping that it comes out on mac and windows at the same time or at least mac so i don't have to push off trying to upgrade to a newer mac! I currently am playing sims 2 on windows because my powerbook g4 died and have had not enough money to purchase a new one, I'm kinda scared to buy a new macbook because I'm not sure if the sims 3 will run on them although sims 2 runs great on them from what I've heard and seen at the apple store! I think the only real enhancements are the graphics, the new open neighborhood, more objects and i think most of what was in the sims 2 will be in the sims 3, like cars, weather, pets and business! I'm not sure what will be in it because EA hasn't really said what is in it, its just a guess, it comes out feb-20-09 so its coming up soon!! I wish EA would say what the required specs are so i can just get the basic macbook! pros are good but too expensive and too big for a laptop!:) = :apple:

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
When is Aspyr going to fix the bugs in the Sims? I want the jerky Magic pack to be smooth and ...

:eek:

... did you say Sims 3? Tha--

That implies there was a Sims 2 and ...

I WANT THE MAGIC PACK FIXED NOW!!! :mad:

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I'm wondering if EA games will scrap going to Aspyr and release Sims 3 themselves. They have the technology and facility to do so as shown with their recent-ish titles.

Thoughts?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'm just wondering what the specs needed will be to actually run the Sims 3 well. I just built my sister a Core 2 system, for her birthday, overclocked to 2.8Ghz with 2GB RAM and a Radeon 3870. At 1280x1024 (the max her LCD supports) with everything on max settings there is still an occasional stutter in the framerate.

My gaming rig in my sig will sometimes freeze for several seconds when using a spell. Both systems have all expansion packs installed. There is not a lot of junk in the background only the absolute essentials load when Windows boots. All driver, software and windows updates are installed.

With that nice system I built for my sister still having the occasional hiccup in the Sims 2 I hope the Sims 3 is heavily multi-threaded for at least 8 cores and 64 bit capable. Because with all of that background processing for the neighborhood I would think you would need a dual quad core Nehalem O'Ced to 4Ghz per core with Quad GTX 280's in SLI and 8GB of DDR3 RAM:eek:. For decent load times a RAID 0 array of 10,000RPM Raptor hard drives.

I am just waiting to build a new gaming rig until the Sims 3 comes out. Then I can look at the minimum requirements and build a system at least 4 times faster to actually play the game at what I consider acceptable;). I have no idea what video card would be needed as I want to upgrade to a 24inch LCD so I will want a GPU to push the Sims 3 at 1920x1200.

I am just thankful for my Radeon X800XT picking up most of the slack from my CPU with the requirements difference between Sims 2 and Sims 2 Apartment Life.

renodude91

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
Sims 3!!

The sims 2 was a revolution for the sims gaming world! I had yet to know anyone that had not moved up to the sims 2! LOL, well i figured that aspyer wasn't doing games for mac anymore, last time i looked they weren't publishing many games, i also rember hearing from steve jobs at the confrence when EA and APPLE Partnered together to be able to do games, like harry potter game, the spore game and a few others. the only guess i could think that why EA is letting Aspyer do games for mac still is because they have some contract or they dont want to waste the resources on developing mac games themselves? :) = :apple:

renodude91

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
please do not be a patch problem!!

I just read the website post that nintendude posted and i completely think patches are dumb for the most part, although since i've had played the sims from the beginning game i haven't downloaded one patch and had no problems with the game what so ever, i would think that EA slips the patches in the game when you buy the Ever so many expansion packs, like I'm sure the university expansion pack had many patches because it was the first expansion for the sims 2! EA STILL HASN'T POSTED A MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS PAGE FOR THE SIMS 3!! :apple: = :)

autobotjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
my mate told me that The Sims is the number1 top selling game of all time, does anyone know if thats true

CompLady

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
PA
Hey guys I cant wait for the sims 3 to be out!! Does anyone know the official date? Whats new in this version.. From what I understood from the website youll be able to go all over the city without constently loading a new house/neighboorhood/or public place.. We will be free to go anywhere we want. For those who didn`t know about the 3rd edition look at the website it looks very promissing.

http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/home.jsp

It comes out Feb 19th 2009 its like $69.99 for a Pre-Order of the Collector's Edition on http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/DisplayHomePage I hope they come out with a mac version. I have vista on my mac and I only use it to play video games especially Sims 2. I'm going to wait til it drops down close to $30
before i buy it I have almost all the Sims 2 games. I usually download it directly through eastore.com.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
my mate told me that The Sims is the number1 top selling game of all time, does anyone know if thats true

Unfortunately that's true when you add in all the expansion packs, and that they all require the original game to be installed too.

But don't look at the most sold, look at the highest rated. A wonderful list where you'll find Quake, Half Life and co :)

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
It comes out Feb 19th 2009 its like $69.99 for a Pre-Order of the Collector's Edition on http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/DisplayHomePage I hope they come out with a mac version. I have vista on my mac and I only use it to play video games especially Sims 2. I'm going to wait til it drops down close to $30
before i buy it I have almost all the Sims 2 games. I usually download it directly through eastore.com.

Wow that's expensive! Does anyone know if they will still sell expension packs? I hope not, they were way over priced..

And regarding custom content is it easy on a mac? I had TONS of problems when I installed custom content from the internet in my sims 2 (pc edition) download folder. It screwed up my game. Is it the same on mac? Will they change this in the sims 3?

CompLady

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
PA
Wow that's expensive! Does anyone know if they will still sell expension packs? I hope not, they were way over priced..

And regarding custom content is it easy on a mac? I had TONS of problems when I installed custom content from the internet in my sims 2 (pc edition) download folder. It screwed up my game. Is it the same on mac? Will they change this in the sims 3?

Yeah u and me both I had tons of custom packs on mine I had about 2.54 G of custom content lol. I don't know if it is the same on mac I was thinking about getting the games for mac and switching over I'm tired of windows. I just got my mac a couple of months ago so I was a first time user of mac and I love it. It's so much better then windows, it's like once u go mac u never go back lol. ;)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

Really!? I never really had major problems with custom content. Unless it was not compatible with an expansion pack. But I always look at the compatible expansions first now. Otherwise just clothing or that I did not have a proper mesh for which I just delete in game.

Just go to modthesims2.com for reliable content.

As for expansion packs for the Sims 3. Of course they will make expansion packs. They are not going to miss milking that cash cow.

CompLady

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
PA
This is also a great place to get Sim clothes, hair, houses and all that is http://www.thesimsresource.com/. It's free to register and if you want to get better stuff you can subscribe for, 2 months: $10.95, 6 months: $29.65, and 12 months: $52.75. You don't have to subscribe you still get plenty of good stuff but their are artists who add their stuff and that's what u pay for. I went to mod the sims 2 several times and they don't have as much stuff as the sims resource and its nicer. You can get really nice hair and makeup that looks real.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
unfortunately the EA representative I wrote to doesn't think the mac version will come out at the same time as the PC version... That's just too bad I was really exited about playing this game on feb the 20th :(

12/23/2008 11:33 PM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Although no other platform release is announced, probably Mac version will be released after a few months of PC release. A console version is not known to be under development, but maybe in future.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

Thank you,

EARep Rick
EA Online Support
Response (Rosho L.)

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Meh. Sims got old after the very first edition, IMHO.

I might consider it if it was online :rolleyes:

tropic10

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2008
I would be very surprised if it would run on ppc Macs. All the recent EA ports have been using Transgaming's Cider engine. And that's Intel only.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Meh. Sims got old after the very first edition, IMHO.

I might consider it if it was online :rolleyes:

Um, there was already a sims online a few years ago, which closed down probably due to lack of interest.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
Pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet. Here are the system requirements for the Sims 3. Unfortunately these are for Windows though:

THE SIMS 3 MINIMUM HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

FOR WINDOWS XP

Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
1 GB RAM
At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
FOR WINDOWS VISTA

Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
1.5 GB RAM
At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA X3000 or above.
2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
0.5 GB additional RAM
SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS

NVIDIA GeForce series
FX 5900, FX 5950
6200, 6500, 6600, 6800,
7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
9600, 9800, GTX 260, GTX 280

ATI Radeon™ series
9500, 9600, 9800
X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
2400, 2600, 2900
3450, 3650, 3850, 3870,
4850, 4870

Intel® Extreme Graphics
GMA X3x00 series

Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slower. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly. Intel integrated chipsets featuring underclocked parts will not perform adequately.

Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants will have low settings selected, but should run satisfactorily.

Please note that attempting to play the game using video hardware that isn't listed above may result in reduced performance, graphical issues or cause the game to not run at all.

The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.