Siri Eyes Free Now Available for Select Honda and Acura Vehicles, Deeper Integration Coming Soon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 26, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Honda today announced the launch of Siri "Eyes Free" integration for select Honda and Acura vehicles. The functionality, which launches as a dealer-installed accessory for the 2013-2014 Honda Accord and 2013 Acura RDX and ILX models, allows users to interact with Siri hands-free systems in these cars without having to take their eyes off of the road.
    The launch of Siri Eyes Free for Honda and Acura vehicles, which was first announced in January, is just the first step in extending the iOS experience to vehicles, and Honda will be holding a Google Hangout next Tuesday at 10:00 AM Pacific Time to make further announcements about iOS integration for the company's vehicles.

[​IMG]
    One of the iOS 7 features highlighted by Apple at the operating system's initial unveiling in June was "iOS in the Car", a system for interacting with iOS devices not only through Siri Eyes Free but also through in-dash displays in vehicles. The feature did not launch with the rest of iOS 7, and Apple continues to list iOS in the Car as "Coming Soon".

Article Link: Siri Eyes Free Now Available for Select Honda and Acura Vehicles, Deeper Integration Coming Soon

2. BrianMojo macrumors regular

Someone needs to hit up a dealer and record a video of this in person. Very curious.

3. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Awesome! I really want to get a new car and I think it would like Siri Eyes Free as a feature. I would like to see some more car manufactures open up to this as their current offerings have been pretty lame IMO.

4. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

How is this any different than most current bluetooth setups where you push a "talk" button and Siri responds? I must be missing something :confused:

5. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

"...Deeper integration coming soon"

Hehe that's what she said...

6. wkadamsjr macrumors 6502

Oh, but Apple Maps is soooo terrible. People will really be driving their cars off cliffs now... :rolleyes:

7. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Love my Acura. Will definitely be looking at this when I decide to trade in my 2009.

8. citi macrumors 65816

citi

I honestly wish more companies would get involved with this. Especially in California where you can get a ticket if the phone is sitting on your lap. Happened to my wife. Her Ford Sync doesn't do half the things this does.

9. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

This is really great for the ecosystem. It's just further evidence that Apple is the right platform choice for all your content needs.

10. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Now add "iOS on the Harley" and we're talking!

11. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

My dad just bought a CR-V. Thanks for the heads up Honda! :rolleyes:

13. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

Yes. Honda doesn't need this so much, but Mazda should be begging Apple for it. Their user interface is buggy, slow, and just plain awful.

14. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Does anyone else find it ironic that Honda is holding a Google Hangout to announce iOS integration?
    :D

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

My car is a 98 and still going. Whenever it dies, I'm thinking I'll buy a used Honda, Acura or Subaru—depending on how much money I've saved as I don't like to finance. So I'm crossing my fingers that my car will make it long enough to get one of these fancy iOS-integrated cars used and then I can drive it for at least 10 years.

My younger sister bought a new car recently with all the bells and whistles and it was like stepping into the future. But hey, my car gets the job done of getting me from point A to point B. And I've done my own upgrades as well, like installing new speakers and adding bluetooth. I'm thinking about getting a mount for my new rMini too. It's weird when I get into my car with my rMini and realize that it probably costs more than my car's current value, haha. I wonder if I could just build a mount into my dashboard for the rMini with a bluetooth Siri button attached to the wheel and that would accomplish nearly the same thing?

16. goobot, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

goobot macrumors 603

goobot

It shows things on your cars dash screen like texts and such as well as navigation.

That was actually pretty funny.

17. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

I chuckled at the same thing. It's almost like an article from the Onion.

18. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

No, that's iOS 7 in the Car. Different feature that no car manufacturer has rolled out yet. It basically puts an iOS 7 interface up on your car's screen.

19. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

My 2014 BMW already allows you to access Siri just by holding down the talk button. Hold it down and Siri, being used from my iPhone 5S will come over the car speakers and take instructions.

The only difference is you won't need an iphone to access it on these cars. Not sure how much of a benefit that is.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just got a new Civic and it already has some Siri functionality. Text messages,music commands etc.. I'm guessing this is just an update.

21. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

"Honda will be holding a Google Hangout next Tuesday at 10:00 AM Pacific Time to make further announcements about iOS integration"

I thought that was kind of funny, iOS at Google Hangouts.
    But since Apple doesn't really have any kind of social setup like that.

Gary

22. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

That's what he was asking.

23. Nimrad macrumors 6502

24. micropig macrumors newbie

"Siri, text Mom I'm driving"
    "Ok, I'll text 'I'm diving'"
    "No, driving"
    "I didn't understand"
    "I am driving"
    "That is nice"
    "Text that I am driving!"
    "Ok. Text to who?"
    "I just crashed my car. Call me an ambulance."
    "Ok, from now on, I'll call you 'An Ambulance'"

25. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

The picture of the radio is wrong though...
    That is a Spark / Sonic head unit...