Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

y8s

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Really? Explain to me how you actually do this and also remain "eyes free"?

I have done a lot of traveling with my iPhone, and I wouldn't consider what you are eluding to as safe hands free operation.

Also consider all of the other services that the iPhone can provide in this manner (maps, restaurants, etc). You get all of these things while driving your car?

I accomplish this using Bluetooth in the Accords "Infotainment" system.

Me personally, I don't have any difficulty keeping my eyes on the road while feeling for the home button on my phone sitting in the console next to me and activating Siri. My commands to Siri are picked up through my cars built-in microphone located above my head and to the right. All the audio comes through the Accords speakers.

Hands free? No its not. But I usually drive with one hand any way. It's a comfort thing for me.

Last edited:

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Same for me. I guess we are in the minority if you look at these forums...

Who knows if you're the minority or the majority; those riled up and posting are typically those who have complaints. The content ones post about other stuff.

I use Apple Maps now mainly despite the errors. Why? Because when Google Maps gives me a few bad directions, they're atrociously bad. (turning against traffic onto a one way street; illegal u-turn, etc.)

So if I wanted to be posting about map problems, I'd be storming through on Google's forums. Instead, I just put Nokia's on the home screen for when I need a second opinion and demoted Google Maps to page 4 or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.