Siri on iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonnydowe, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jonnydowe macrumors member

Anybody know if Siri it will be available for iPad 2?

Thanks

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Wondering the same

3. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Since the iPad2 has the A5 chip, will it get Siri?

If the A5 chip is the only constraint to run Siri, will the iPad2 be able to run it?

4. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Yes apple Siri on iPad 2?

We have A5 to run it or do we get a lame excuse you need the extra 500mb ram the iPhone 4s has! Or the microphone ain't good enough!

Next year: today we are introducing the iPad 2S, because our customers loved Siri so much we have brought it to iPad 2S just to screw you iPad 2 users!

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Since Siri is in "Beta," I hope that they will begin rolling out this amazing software to not the iPad but the Mac OS as well.

6. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

I was wondering the same thing.

I have an iPad1, but I know its getting iOS5 as well, so I was wondering if an abridged version of Siri will release on the iPhone4, 4th gen iPod Touch, and the iPads 1 & 2 when they get iOS5.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

A5 Chip
    More Memory?
    and Apple's prerogative.

8. brendu macrumors 68020

It better come to the iPad. And what I am really hoping for is a jailbreak tweak that will allow it to run on my iPhone 4 because I am not upgrading to the 4S and Siri looks awesome!

9. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I believe they said iphone only in the keynote...

10. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

if the iPad 2 was going to get Siri they would have said it during the Keynote. from the sounds of it, Siri is hard coded into the iPhone 4s. if it was in iOS5 you can guarantee that it would have been all over the internet. educated guess says the iPad 3 and next generation iPod Touch will get Siri next year at their refresh events.

11. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

posted this in the other Siri thread, so I'll post it here as well. though I suspect a mod will eventually combine these two threads ;)

if the iPad 2 was going to get Siri they would have said it during the Keynote. from the sounds of it, Siri is hard coded into the iPhone 4s. if it was in iOS5 you can guarantee that it would have been all over the internet. educated guess says the iPad 3 and next generation iPod Touch will get Siri next year at their refresh events.

12. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

What sucks about this is that it seems that they're ending support for the old version of Siri as of the 15th. I currently run the old version on my iPad. While it's clearly not as robust as the new version, I do still use it from time to time. I'd really like to see the new version supported on my iPad, but if not, then at least leave me my old version. Sheesh.

13. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Not gonna happen. Apple's choice to differentiate the iPhone 4S product. No technical limitation but Siri is more suited to a purely mobile device with a strong communication component.

14. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I thought Siri was a nicety of iOS 5 and assumed it would be available on all products running it. I don't' see any reason why it shouldn't be included with iPod Touches and iPads.

15. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Could the 4S contain extra hardware to support this?

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Memory since actively loaded for quick access.

Encourage nerd envy and sales.

17. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Some articles last week said "sources" have said that Siri requires 1 GB RAM, and apparently Siri's developers have said that they gimped the app quite a bit due to memory constraints. They haven't said how much RAM the 4S has, but if it's 1 GB then this argument makes sense. What makes the most sense though, is that Apple wants something big to be 4S exclusive since it's mainly a spec upgrade from the 4. I'm sure the iPad 3 and next year's iPod Touch will have it too, if not Mac OS X eventually as well.

18. GripperDon macrumors newbie

GripperDon

Yea you are right. BUT that does not make it right!!!!! Apple is more money grubbing everyday. Gone are the day that we helped make them what they are today, Now it is all beacuse they think they are great. Well They need to remember what goes around comes around. :(

19. radiohed macrumors regular

Oh would be very cool to talk to my mac and have it react! :cool: I never thought about Siri on a mac, but what a great idea!

20. jal97jal macrumors member

jal97jal

I don't think so.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It will probably only for iPad 2S.

Apple will make some kind of excuse, so you can buy a new hardware.

22. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Rumor is that the iPhone 4S's A5 chip has 1GB of RAM, and that Siri is very memory intensive. The iPad 2's only has 512MB, same as the iPhone 4.

23. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't get iDrive on my Mini despite the fact that it's available on other models from BMW. They should be ashamed. They need to return to the days when Apple didn't care about making money.

24. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

I enjoy your sense of humor. Upvoted!:D

25. saberahul macrumors 68040

Really? And I always thought it has 1Gb...