Sketchy Rumor Claims 'iPhone SE 2' Could Feature a Glass Back and Support Wireless Charging

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple's second-generation iPhone SE will come with a rear glass panel that could enable it to support Qi-compatible wireless charging accessories, according to Indian tech website Tekz24.

Speculation about a new version of Apple's small form factor smartphone originally began in August last year, when Focus Taiwan first claimed a new iPhone SE would ship in the first quarter of 2018.

That report was accompanied by claims from Tekz24 that the "iPhone SE 2" will be powered by Apple's A10 Fusion chip, with 2GB of RAM, 32GB and 128GB storage capacities, a 12-megapixel rear camera, a five-megapixel front camera, and a slightly larger 1,700 mAh battery.

Three months later, China's Economic Daily News fueled speculation with a report that Apple will release a second-generation iPhone SE in the first half of 2018, to be assembled exclusively by Taiwanese manufacturer Wistron at its factory in Bengaluru, India, where some assembly of the current iPhone SE occurs. Lastly, earlier this month Taiwanese market research firm TrendForce predicted that Apple is planning to launch a second-generation iPhone SE in 2018 to target the mid-range smartphone market.

Tekz24 - the source of today's glass back rumor - lacks an established track record of reporting on Apple rumors, so the above tech specs and today's claim remain completely unverified.

However, given that Apple recently introduced support for wireless charging with the iPhone 8 and iPhone X series of devices, the possibility that it could bring its smaller four-inch smartphone model into the fold certainly isn't completely outlandish, especially with the company's AirPower wireless charging mat already confirmed for release sometime this year.

Apple hasn't properly refreshed the iPhone SE since it launched back in March 2016, but it did double the available storage capacities to 64GB and 128GB in March 2017. Suggestions that Apple could tweak the design - perhaps giving it thinner bezels to make way for a larger screen - remain entirely in the unverified speculation department at this point.

As for the rest of Apple's smartphone line-up in 2018, rumors suggest Apple will launch a new 5.8-inch iPhone X alongside a second OLED iPhone, this one measuring in at 6.5 inches, which means it can be thought of as an "iPhone X Plus".

Alongside these two OLED iPhones, Apple is also said to be planning to introduce a 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD display, positioned as a more affordable device targeting the low-end and mid-range markets, with a starting price of $649 to $749 in the United States.

According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, all three of these iPhones will feature edge-to-edge displays, Face ID, and TrueDepth camera systems, which would likely signal the final nail in the coffin for both the Home button and the Touch ID fingerprint sensor in new iPhone models.

Article Link: Sketchy Rumor Claims 'iPhone SE 2' Could Feature a Glass Back and Support Wireless Charging
  2. vmistery macrumors 6502a

Apr 6, 2010
    When they released the SE I thought they used the current gen at the time CPU the A9? If so is it not likely they'd do it again? especially as the A10 was not massively better (compared to the A11 jump) than the A9 in the first place.
  3. NexusUser macrumors member

Aug 24, 2016
    Only Apple targets the low end market with a $649 device...
  4. JosephAW macrumors 68000

May 14, 2012
    Hopefully they don't ruin it by removing Touch ID and put in a notch.
  5. kemal macrumors 65816

Dec 21, 2001
  6. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2008
    $649 would be the mid end devices. Low end is SE territory, which launched at $399
  7. davie18 macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2010
    I'm guessing you don't own an iPhone X? And if you do, does the notch actually bug you when using it?

Most of the notch hate seems to be from people who don't even own an X and just think they'd hate it
  8. Jimrod macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2010
    By definition you don't have "mid end"... :D Mid-level, mid-range maybe. Just thought I'd clarify that, everyone loves the grammar police!
  9. Vicmacs2 macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2018
  10. acblue94 macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2011
    New York, NY.
    Right? Just like they ruined the market and removed VHS tapes and floppy disks from my computers. Join us in 2018. I’d rather a notch then ugly black bezels above.
  11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Should be interesting to see how this pans out.

My SE only turns a year old in March so its a bit too soon for a new phone for me, especially since I'm taking up Apple on their battery replacement discount later in the year, but I'm definitely interested to see what the SE2 ends up being anyway.
  12. davie18 macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2010
    Also as for touch ID... I do think overall it was faster and better than face ID. BUT, I think it's far batter to lose it if it means having an edge to edge display, its amazing how fluid and immersive it feels using such a screen.

Sure you can still have a fingerprint reader and just move it somewhere else but honestly it would be worse than useless. On the back of the phone it's just totally and utterly pointless... it would still require you to pick up your phone when on a desk and would just feel so unnatural and be a worse user experience, and it makes the phone look worse and causes issues if you want to have a case on the back, etc etc etc. . And I doubt on the side it would work as well and would likely be slower due to size constraints.

I just don't understand why people still cry so much over the loss of touch ID... we are far better having an edge to edge display.
  13. pete2106 macrumors member

Dec 7, 2012
    I have a 6 plus at the minute so I'll probably upgrade to the SE2. I'm not paying £1000 for a phone so hopefully this will be reasonably priced.
  14. Relentless Power, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    I suspect if there is an iPhone SE 2, it will retain touch ID, the 3.5 mm Jack will be deleted, and I don't believe it will incorporate wireless charging. I think it will keep a similar form factor, but likely see an updated Camera and internal specifications.

If Apple plans on retaining the price point, I don't see the SE adopting a lot of iPhone X features. It's also important remember, the iPhone SE is a big part of India's market, which price point was based on affordability for their Commerce as well.
  15. Jimrod macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2010
    When tech is replaced by something better or more convenient your argument makes sense - I've seen plenty of examples of touch-ID being faster and more reliable than FaceID so perhaps it's not there yet?
  16. mejsric macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2013
  17. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Sep 14, 2010
    Touch ID was the best addition to the iPhone ever, for me at least. Face ID is a step back in so many ways, and so is the loss of bezels. The X is the least comfortable iPhone Ever, so i’m not remotely interested in edge to edge displays.
  18. JPack macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2017
    Very sketchy rumor unless verified by Ming-Chi Kuo.

Seems more likely to be a new Indian website hunting for clicks.
  19. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2016
    Late last year my iPhone SE battery hit over 500 cycles and the battery was worn, i was also starting to get annoyed that my SE was missing features such as 3D Touch. I bought it on launch day as i was getting aggravated with the size of the 6 and its lack of easy 1 handed use.

So when the iPhone 8 came out i played in the shop and found the glass back less slippy in my hand compared to the 6 and thought ok i will get it. Now i am wishing i had not, its a pain to use single handed again, but i have got use to the smoother A11 processor, faster touch ID, 3D touch and Qi Charging. So if they dont mess this iPhone SE up i might just get rid of the 8 and get one and remind my self in future that iPhones other than the SE size are just too big to use comfortably one handed and my little finger kills now from having the iPhone 8 resting on it when i try. (and i have large hands!)
  20. JPack macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2017
    Completely different times now. Apple has a different product stack now. They no longer need to throw in a new CPU for the low end SE market.
  21. exkeks macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2009
    Right: Because of the metal frame and back, the SE is the only one in current iPhone lineup that can slip out of your hand without causing you a heart attack immediately.
  22. Bone Ranger macrumors member

Jun 9, 2016
    Yea. 2 gigantic bezels on top and bottom is better than a notch.
  23. tomscott1988 macrumors 6502

Apr 14, 2009
    Would seem silly to give it the same design seen as tho the SE is 3 generations old now.

They have to give it something that people with the current SE would want to upgrade to. The 6S is an old phone now but the SE handles and performs well. It would need to be more than a spec bump IMO.

Just because its the low end device doesn't mean it cant be a new device entirely. unfortunately, Lets be fair it will be a rehash.
  24. Tunster macrumors 6502

Nov 28, 2009
    My personal ideal phone, but it's not going to happen. Bigger is better in the Apple world now. Not smaller.
  25. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    The odd thing about this rumor is the original SE was designed to have less features given its lower price, and so the SE2 having the latest features doesn't really jive. Space inside the small form factor is at a premium and I'd rather see them add other things, like force touch instead of wireless charging