Sketchy Rumor Pegs March 29 as AirPods 2 Release Date

calstanford

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
I lost my airpods 3 months ago and am getting sick and tired of waiting. No way will I buy the same old 2yr tech again though with the update 'around the corner'

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
The new era of disposable earphones.
I know, still rocking my old (and still great) headphones, but this wireless trend is going to make everything disposable.

I have the 1st gen Airpods, love them and will keep them as long as i can, but it will be hard to get battery replacement in a couple of years...and they will head into the bin.

Reactions: bernoulli

TomOSeven

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2017
Is anyone else reminded of tampon strings coming out of the ears with those Air Pods?

I really didn't expect Gen 2 to have the same design.

Relentless Power

macrumors Penryn
Jul 12, 2016
I think it's safe to assume the price will increase..
It depends. What technological changes would they be adding that would increase the price point? Excluding water resistance and maybe an additional color, what compelling reason would there be a price inflation?

Last edited:

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I really hope they come out before the end of this month. Mine are truly on their last leg. I've had them for over 2 years now and will barely last an hour, especially the right ear one. They've been great and I've used them almost every day, so I'm not complaining. I just don't want to have to buy another pair of Gen 1 ones because of the release date being in the fall instead.

Khedron

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2013
One report has suggested the second-generation AirPods might be more expensive, costing around $200, up from $159. That said, other reports claim the price will remain at $159, so little is verified at this point.
I think it's safe to assume the price will increase.

The only conceivable alternative is Tim keeps the AirPods themselves at $159 but sells the case separately.

Reactions: YaBe

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I've said this since AirPods were intro'd.

Better sound quality and isolation. If one the rumored upgrades to the 3rd gen AirPods is noise cancellation, they're definitely going to need to be in-ear imo.
I don't understand this--they already fit in the ear. They're certainly not "over the ear."

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
My first gen ones are dead. They barely lasted, but I loved them and I’m ready for new ones. Apple please release new ones soonest. Thanks

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
"Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in October that a new version of the AirPods would launch late in the fourth quarter of 2018 or early in the first quarter of 2019, and he later clarified that he expects new wireless AirPods in the first half of 2019."

Just pulls stuff out of the air. People still fall for it.

Where's my 2018 iMac, Ming?
Hope I can come back to this comment on 25 March

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I don't understand this--they already fit in the ear. They're certainly not "over the ear."
AirPods aren't In-Ear headphones per se. Not in the way traditional in-ears are categorized. In-Ear headphones create a seal for better noise isolation and sound reproduction. There is no "sound seal" with AirPods. Examples of in-ear headphones: BeatsX, Galaxy Buds, and Apple's own In-Ear Earpods. The tip of the bud is usually silicone, comply foam, or some other type of cushioned tip.

Heineken

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2018
So you are happy spending £159 every two years for earphones? I have had Sennheiser HD 25 for just under 10 years and still working well. Going wireless is another way of getting more money from customers on a regular basis.
Why every 2 years? All depends on how much you use them just like with anything else. Second, no one is forcing you to buy them. I bought them because they are small and convenient and I hate wires with a passion.

shuttaman

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2017
I need them be as good audio quality as my Beats X(including the bass)
If not they only just an excuse to flex on people(can't hear broke,etc) haha

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I’ve had mine since December 2016 and they are absolutely crapping out on me. Maybe an hour of music and barely over 45 minutes on a phone call and their dead.

Still sound great, but I almost pulled the trigger on ordering another pair until I saw this rumor. Let’s hope it’s true.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Y
As opposed to all the crappy $1 plastic wired disposable earphones that shipped with MP3 players and phones for about two decades?
Yes €1, but these are €160 and contain batteries so are worse waste.

I am surprised a small Industry hasn’t started refurbishing AirPods. Breaking open ones with bad batteries, replacing the battery and then fitting a replacement copy case.

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
Whoa everybody don’t get ahead of yourselves. This will probably just be AirPods with wireless charging case and AirPower. NOT a new set of AirPods with new features. That will come in the fall where they can take your money again

Khedron

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2013
He means the style that you jam right down your ear canal.

I hate that style. And there are only two companies who don't do it; Apple and Bose.

Because of all the rumours and delays over AirPods 2, I went with Bose.

Reactions: SDJim

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Whoa everybody don’t get ahead of yourselves. This will probably just be AirPods with wireless charging case and AirPower. NOT a new set of AirPods with new features. That will come in the fall where they can take your money again
They can have my money when they change the way they fit in one’s ears - preferably replaceable silicone tips. I tried to live with AirPods for a month, and couldn’t even eat lunch with them in because merely chewing would be enough for them to fall out. Also walking, turning my head, coughing, sitting still... I guess I have giant ear holes. Gave them to my fourth grade daughter, who loves them.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
"Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in October that a new version of the AirPods would launch late in the fourth quarter of 2018 or early in the first quarter of 2019, and he later clarified that he expects new wireless AirPods in the first half of 2019."

Just pulls stuff out of the air. People still fall for it.

Where's my 2018 iMac, Ming?
He's actually been fairly accurate with his assessments and I think when companies delay products that is out of his control. Of course you can claim that people still fall for it like he makes this all up but then why give him any attention?