Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamski23

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2017
Apple should really create an in-ear design alongside their current offering ala different size phones.

I need to replace my current headphones for the gym and apples design does not sit well.

The new Samsung ones piques my interest so I will need to check them out.

TheBing1980

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Michigan
It's not financially impractical to change batteries in an actual phone. That is the issue the OP was talking about with wireless headphones and earbuds I think :)

I see your point.

I was referring to the comparison of the Sennheiser HD 25. Those are wired headphones without batteries, correct?

No battery = No battery replacement

j3x

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
I prefer the current design for their supreme comfort (I've turned them off and forgotten I'm wearing them on several occasions) and their non-blocking of peripheral noise for safe walking in urban environments. New features would be welcome, but their physical design is already perfect.

However, if Apple decides to design a second model that fit "in ear" for those who prefer it, that would be great for those who need it (though my bet is that they wouldn't use the "AirPods" branding). But it would be a tragic mistake to get rid of the already brilliant design of the first generation of Apple's best product since the iPhone.
I prefer the current design, glad AirPods 2 is staying the same shape. I don't care how stupid it makes me look I prefer that over the other wireless earbuds things that look like the galaxy buds, if AirPods 3 look like that I will be disappointed

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Bring em’. My first Gen are still surviving, but I’m ready for whatever version two brings, hopefully in some type of slate/black color as well.

Quick question from someone who's never tried them - where / how do you store them when you're not using them? Thanks. :)

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
I see your point.

I was referring to the comparison of the Sennheiser HD 25. Those are wired headphones without batteries, correct?

No battery = No battery replacement
That's correct. HD25 are wired phones. All Bluetooth phones have issue with battery life. In ear bud type will all have the issue of battery replacement being impractical. At least over ear types should have larger batteries which will require less frequent charging and may utilise a battery that can be swapped out if it is a readily available size. Even if a soldering is involved :)

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Please don't. That's the only thing that's stopping me from going with other brands.

Well Apple offered an In-Ear EarPods as an alternative and I bought a pair cause the regular EarPods just couldn't stay in my ears for longer than two seconds. The AirPods fit a little better since they don't have cords dragging them down but I still need the famous Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape around the buds to make them stay in.

There are definitely people who prefer the tighter fit or maybe just the better passive noice cancellation with in-ears.

Dethklok

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Please make them black or remove the tail. Would never buy them just because they look like tampons hanging out of your ears.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
Please make them black or remove the tail. Would never buy them just because they look like tampons hanging out of your ears.

When they first came out I thought they looked a little odd but after seeing them every day when walking to lunch I got used to it. They're probably the coolest gadget to come out in years. I use mine everyday and like a lot of people after owning them for two years have lost about 60% of the battery life and will order the next gen as soon as they're launched.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I'm confused by your comment. You say there are only two companies who don't do it, but both Apple and Bose make in-ear headphones.

But not exclusively.

In my search for non-in-ear wireless earphones I found Apple's AirPods and Bose's SoundSport.

If anyone knows similar products I'd be happy to hear.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Air pods are amazing. I've used them everyday for the last six months and my only regret is not getting them much sooner!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Except, it hasn’t been confirmed that there is a price point increase yet, only speculation.

The 1st gen AirPods were arguably underpriced at $159 (considering that at the time, the competition was priced at around $300, and came with a lot more problems and limitations). Given that the 2nd gen is expected to gain a wireless-charging case, plus health tracking features, hey Siri support (just what we know), I think a small to moderate price increase is not unwarranted.

Especially when you consider that the airpods is now a proven product category. People know what it is, what it can do, and actually want to be seen wearing them in public. The willingness to pay is there.

It’s also possible that Apple might continue to offer the old airpods as a budget option and a more expensive model with more features targeting a more premium segment of the market. Like what they did with the Apple Watch.

Reactions: Souponastick270

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s also possible that Apple might continue to offer the old airpods as a budget option and a more expensive model with more features targeting a more premium segment of the market. Like what they did with the Apple Watch.

I suspect this part of your post to be inaccurate. And the reason I say that, is that I think by offering the older version of the AirPods next to the new version of the AirPods, that would only detract away from sales of when the new version of the AirPods to be available. ( But it also might depend how much Apple discounts the first GEN AirPods _if_ they do offer them as a option when version two is available.)

And the reason they offer the Apple Watch older models discounted next to the newer models, is the Apple Watch is updated more frequently on an annual basis thus far, thus allowing for more options, where as the AirPods has only had one release so far back in December 2016.

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
For over 2 years I have used my AirPods nearly everyday for both work & leisure. I would rank it above all of my other Apple gear in terms of value. If I calculate it out, I've paid Apple about 25 cents/per day so far to use them. If they increase the price to $200 it would be 2 or 3 cents more per day for the same time period. For the amount of comfort and convenience they have brought me, I would pay even more if necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.