Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
IF Apple really increases the price by $41 just because they added wireless charging and a few other things, then they are really clueless and airpods will join the list of products with slowing sales. Technology is evolving and I'm sure its cheaper to add a wireless charging case now than it was when the original airpods came out.... You can't just raise your prices every time you add a feature. But this is just a rumor so who knows.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Just bought my first pair on December, for running, so I won't buy a new model soon. If they release the wireless case and the AirPower I may buy those for my office desk, where I usually recharge most of my devices, having a single pad where I can put anything would be convenient.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
They can have my money when they change the way they fit in one’s ears - preferably replaceable silicone tips. I tried to live with AirPods for a month, and couldn’t even eat lunch with them in because merely chewing would be enough for them to fall out. Also walking, turning my head, coughing, sitting still... I guess I have giant ear holes. Gave them to my fourth grade daughter, who loves them.
Everyone I know says they fit great. It’s weird how much something like people’s ears vary. I think for the most part If you don’t have a good dip in your ear for the AirPod to kinda sit and hook onto, then they’ll feel loose and floppy. I feel for you.

But there are options. There are attachments you can buy for the AirPods that turn them into more of a molded fit in ear earbud. The new galaxy buds look pretty sweet too
[doublepost=1551452127][/doublepost]
IF Apple really increases the price by $41 just because they added wireless charging and a few other things, then they are really clueless and airpods will join the list of products with slowing sales. Technology is evolving and I'm sure its cheaper to add a wireless charging case now than it was when the original airpods came out.... You can't just raise your prices every time you add a feature. But this is just a rumor so who knows.
I’ve dealt with a lot of apples pricing crap, but if they increase the price when they’re already more expensive than the galaxy buds then I just don’t know man. The galaxy buds have more features AND wireless charging and they’re $130. If apples bare bones AirPods already cost more, they can accommodate the price of a wireless case

Reactions: bigjnyc

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Everyone I know says they fit great. It’s weird how much something like people’s ears vary. I think for the most part If you don’t have a good dip in your ear for the AirPod to kinda sit and hook onto, then they’ll feel loose and floppy. I feel for you.

But there are options. There are attachments you can buy for the AirPods that turn them into more of a molded fit in ear earbud. The new galaxy buds look pretty sweet too
[doublepost=1551452127][/doublepost]
I’ve dealt with a lot of apples pricing crap, but if they increase the price when they’re already more expensive than the galaxy buds then I just don’t know man. The galaxy buds have more features AND wireless charging and they’re $130. If apples bare bones AirPods already cost more, they can accommodate the price of a wireless case

I tried the add-on options. None worked for me, and most need to be removed each time you put them back in the case.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The date makes perfect sense. Apple holds event March 19 or 25. Releases product same or following Friday.
[doublepost=1551453070][/doublepost]
Whoa everybody don’t get ahead of yourselves. This will probably just be AirPods with wireless charging case and AirPower. NOT a new set of AirPods with new features. That will come in the fall where they can take your money again
I'm fine with that. The Airpods are now the only device I have that need a lightning cable to charge. I cant wait for the wireless charging case.
[doublepost=1551453414][/doublepost]
I know, still rocking my old (and still great) headphones, but this wireless trend is going to make everything disposable.

I have the 1st gen Airpods, love them and will keep them as long as i can, but it will be hard to get battery replacement in a couple of years...and they will head into the bin.
Most headphones for average people ARE disposable already. Any store is loaded with $10-20 earbuds people buy. Airpods are more than just music. People use them for siri, for meditation, for phone calls, as a hearing enhancer.
[doublepost=1551453531][/doublepost]
He means the style that you jam right down your ear canal.

I hate that style. And there are only two companies who don't do it; Apple and Bose.

Because of all the rumours and delays over AirPods 2, I went with Bose.
Agreed. The reason I love airpods is that I can still hear whats going on around me if Im out for a walk or at work using them. I don't want to be completely isolated (nor can I at work) from hearing stuff. Plus it can be a safety issue.

Last edited:

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Most headphones for average people ARE disposable already. Any store is loaded with 10-20 earbuds people buy. Airpods are more than just music. People use them for siri, for meditation, for phone calls, as a hearing enhancer.
You mean like.. headphones... they all do that :D. (as in you do not need wireless for that).

Everything is disposable I guess, but the life of my Airpods will definetly be shorter than my Shure's, no matter how good i take care of them, there will come a day I will have to bin them, and it will be sooner than i have to bin the Shure :D.

It's about longevity not disposable or not.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
AirPods aren't In-Ear headphones per se. Not in the way traditional in-ears are categorized. In-Ear headphones create a seal for better noise isolation and sound reproduction. There is no "sound seal" with AirPods. Examples of in-ear headphones: BeatsX, Galaxy Buds, and Apple's own In-Ear Earpods. The tip of the bud is usually silicone, comply foam, or some other type of cushioned tip.
vs2.png
Oh, I get it. Like the Beats X.

Marcus PM

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Love my AirPods but I am one of those few people where they don't fit great and fall out occasionally. So a silicon grip of some sort would probably help. That and a new black color.

Don1985

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2017
Paisley
Very much what you said. The AirPods aside from the battery life and technology, it was actually the price point was fairly competitive in terms of what it’s offering. $159 really isn’t that much compared to the ‘other’ Bluetooth earbuds, which are priced actually quite higher. When Apple launches version two of the AirPods, I hope they don’t raise the price too much, as that has been an onward trend with their product line as of late. And that’s what made the AirPods partially so popular, is because they really weren’t all that expensive to begin with.

Part of me believes they’ll keep the price low. This is a product that’s making people want to stay with iPhone. Increase the iPhone to over £1000 but get a well priced BT earphone at a price we accept is a smart way of getting more money from us overall.

Make us believe we’re paying a good price but then it’s covered by phone.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like you should get a pair of Samsung Buds. Tick all those improvements you want. :)

I actually looked into them a bit as the S10e was an appealing phone to me. I prefer a cohesive ecosystem though so after some research, a potential switch wasn't really worth the hassle. I was more so just interested in trying something new I think. I haven't heard any reviews of the Samsung buds yet, but if Apple is improving on those same things, it would be in my best interest to stick with what I know and prefer.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
"Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in October that a new version of the AirPods would launch late in the fourth quarter of 2018 or early in the first quarter of 2019, and he later clarified that he expects new wireless AirPods in the first half of 2019."

Just pulls stuff out of the air. People still fall for it.

Where's my 2018 iMac, Ming?

Ming forecasts stuff for people in the industry not for people like you who want an exact date on when you can get your iMac. I also want AirPods pretty soon but I only read what Ming says and consider it in buying stock which means I have a wide range of time that new product launches are important. If you are looking for a specific date you need to listen to Tim Cook. He is thinly man with a perfect crystal ball and even he gets the launch dates right about as often as Ming these days.

TheBing1980

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Michigan
So you are happy spending £159 every two years for earphones? I have had Sennheiser HD 25 for just under 10 years and still working well. Going wireless is another way of getting more money from customers on a regular basis.

From a certain point of view you are absolutely correct.

My grandma's rotary phone also lasted 10+ years. This hip new transition to "wireless" phones has also required purchasing a new phone more regularly.

But given the convenience of wireless, I wouldn't go back. :)

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
From a certain point of view you are absolutely correct.

My grandma's rotary phone also lasted 10+ years. This hip new transition to "wireless" phones has also required purchasing a new phone more regularly.

But given the convenience of wireless, I wouldn't go back. :)
It's not financially impractical to change batteries in an actual phone. That is the issue the OP was talking about with wireless headphones and earbuds I think :)

Reactions: bernoulli

Napalm Doctor

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
Canada
Mine are still good. I don't use Siri much cause I just don't. I live in two languages and for me Siri is just plain useless.

The battery life is already good enough. Put them in the case for 1/2 hour and your good to go again.

The wireless charging would be neat, but I only have one pad for charging and it charges my phone at night. I will not spend on another charger just for AirPods when it comes with a cable for that purpose.

They better not increase the price because I don't think it will sell well. I know a lot of people already that are not considering the AirPod because of the actual price even tho they think they are amazing.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
oh, just ordered a pair of Huawei's Freebuds 2 Pro, haevyly inspired by the Airpods but with Bluetooth 5.0, wireless charging, also expensive.

Reactions: BigDO

Shaggymax

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
Lanc, Penn USA
Really looking forward to these...skipped v1 and have been patiently waiting for v2 for a very long time...lets hope this goes from rumor to fruition!!

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
So you are happy spending £159 every two years for earphones? I have had Sennheiser HD 25 for just under 10 years and still working well. Going wireless is another way of getting more money from customers on a regular basis.

Not a fair comparison. I use wireless headphones and am happy to pay that rate for them. I like the convenience, but because they travel with me everywhere and are used multiple hours a day I don't expect them to last long.

How many hours a day do you spent outside in your Sennheisers (no matter the weather)?

Souponastick270

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2016
Citadel Island
Great! So as it stands these would come out on the day of Brexit here in the UK and I imagine the price will shoot up horrifically due to exchange rates when the pound falls even further.... yippee!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
He means the style that you jam right down your ear canal.

I hate that style. And there are only two companies who don't do it; Apple and Bose.

Because of all the rumours and delays over AirPods 2, I went with Bose.
I'm confused by your comment. You say there are only two companies who don't do it, but both Apple and Bose make in-ear headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.