Sketchy Rumor Suggests Apple Still Plans to Sell iPhone X in Blush Gold

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is still planning to release the iPhone X in a so-called Blush Gold color, according to well-known leaker Ben Geskin.

[​IMG]
    iPhone X in gold rendered by Michael Flux

Geskin tweeted a photo of an iPhone X and an accompanying SIM card tray in the new color earlier today. He said the device is "in production," with a codename of D21A. In a follow-up tweet, he added that the "color is real" and said Apple just "saved it for later," but hedged that "stuff can be canceled."

Geskin has gained a reputation for leaking dummy models, screen protectors, and accessories related to unreleased iPhones, but he doesn't have a perfect track record. Back in July, he said the iPhone X would be available in four colors, including a "mirror-like" finish that has yet to materialize.

In the months leading up to the iPhone X, it was widely rumored that the device would be available in a trio of colors, including Blush Gold, but Silver and Space Gray ended up being and remain the only colors available.

In September, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the gold model may encounter some production issues and be available in extremely low volume during pre-orders, which didn't happen, or go on sale at a later date entirely. Since then, rumors have largely gone quiet, beyond a few false release dates.

A year ago this week, Apple unveiled a special (PRODUCT)RED edition of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, so there is some precedence for a new color to be added midway during the product cycle. The white iPhone 4 was also delayed until April 2011, over nine months after the black version launched, due to a lack of UV protection.

[​IMG]
    (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

Apple may release a (PRODUCT)RED edition of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X as well, according to Rosenblatt Securities analyst Jun Zhang, and that might be the more likely addition than Blush Gold.

Apple recently announced it will be hosting an education-themed event on Tuesday, March 27 at Lane Tech College Prep High School in Chicago. While the event will be focused on "creative new ideas for teachers and students," it's certainly possible we could learn of the new iPhone X colors then.

Article Link: Sketchy Rumor Suggests Apple Still Plans to Sell iPhone X in Blush Gold

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Sounds like something Apple would start doing to get extra sales mid-cycle.

3. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I'd like the red version, but for iPhone 8 and 8+ I'd prefer a black bezel on the front.

4. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Apple regularly adds new colors mid-cycle. This isn't all that surprising if it happens.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2018 ---
    Careful. I'm told that color combo comes pre-loaded with U2 albums.

5. saintforlife macrumors 65816

Anything to boost sagging sales I guess.

6. Rojaaemon macrumors member

Hey, for $1000 they should be able to customize it to match my girlfriend's fingernail polish.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    ...or throw in a girlfriend to go with the nail polish?

8. MacLoveMacHate macrumors member

MacLoveMacHate

If the X is partially an image phone, it would be in their best interest to do so

9. Dave245 macrumors 603

It wouldn't surprise me considering they did add the Product Red last to the iPhone 7. I wonder if they will announce these rumoured products (cheaper iPad and MacBook Air) at the event or after it in a press release?

10. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

Well we knew they had prototypes of that color. We expected them at release but then they didn't show up so a spring debut isn't a surprise. They will be very pretty and match a pair of Converse tennis shoes I own. But no, not getting one. I will admire them when I visit Apple Stores.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Ah, the classic "stuff can be cancelled" caveat so if you're wrong you can still say "I told you so!"

12. profets macrumors 68040

Red iPhone X would be hot. I'd love to start seeing more colours in general for these devices.

13. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

Sales aren’t sagging, that narrative has been thoroughly debunked. On the call Cook said X was their best selling iphone since launch. Seasonally reducing supply after the holidays is normal.
    Really? Why? A fully loaded iPad with cellular has cost more than that, as do almost all Macs. No special expectations there, despite a minaturuized computer in the phone form factor being harder to manufacture.

14. otternonsense, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

It's an interesting shade (blush gold or whatnot). Still more interested in whatever Apple comes up with for an SE successor, preferably with audiojack and sans notch.

About the product Red option, I hope it comes with a black front and red rim on TouchID. That, I'd instantly buy.

15. Dave245 macrumors 603

Or you know it would pay for a brilliant phone....like the iPhone X ;)

16. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

I'm still waiting for the Special Notchless Edition.

17. concernedone macrumors 6502

concernedone

That color is so beautiful I <3 it so much!!!!!
    However it is not a Note phone. I only wish Samsung Note line would have the pink in the USA too.

18. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

You mean the 84M phones they sold with a 14 week run rate or the 13% increase in y/y revenue? Which part was sagging?

Get your news from Apple, not fake news like Nikkei Asian Review and JP Morgan.

19. ACST Suspended

The notch isn't an issue.

20. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Same here. That notch is killing my OCD with a vengeance.

21. fronesis macrumors member

I'm fairly sure you mean "precedent," which means "an earlier event that serves as an example or a guide" and not "precedence," a totally different word which means "priority in importance."

(Apologies: I wouldn't normally play the grammar snoot but I sat idly by and watched while the difference between complement and compliment was so thoroughly mangled or abandoned that these days the wrong word is chosen far more often than not.)

22. RogueWarrior65 macrumors regular

Bleah, I'm so sick of the Burberry influence at Apple. It reminds me of the beige box that which Apple poo-pooed years ago.

23. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

For $1000 they should throw in a pair of AirPods for good measure.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2018 ---
    Partially? The X is totally an image phone.

24. mikecorp Suspended

mikecorp

who cares about that? Did you see the video with new iPhone SE 2? Hope it is real!!

25. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

I don't understand why Apple is so afraid of the color blue. I want.
    [​IMG]