Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
(oh my word autocorrect garbled my post! There's a bug if you use bluetooth keyboards with the iOS beta. It doesn't underline incorrect spellings but autocorrects some things - but not others, and sometimes removes the final word in a sentence if you add a period using double-space)

See! I don't know how much of the lore is set in the Fallout games but I always imagined (I've only played a bit of 3 and New Vegas) it taking place hundreds of years into the future where society froze itself in the 1950's. Is that the case?
Seems that you are more correct than I was. A quick look at a timeline built by the Fallout Wiki suggests that the vaults didn't start construction until 2050. I guess hearing all of the older style music and tech made me assume that the events happened sooner rather than later. The main events of the games do take place a few hundred years in the future.

I've only played a bit of 3 myself, but I know my little brother and cousin have played through 3, New Vegas and 4, with my little brother returning to the originals as well. After I move and I get some free time back, I'll be back to investing time in Bethesda's games, starting with FO3 and Skyrim. =D

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
So from being indifferent to it I now can't stop playing it. Really enjoying just wandering about completing dungeons. I've played for 6 hours so far and all I've done on the main mission is return the dragon claw in Riverhold (is it called?). It's *very* good on remote play too. The game itself controls awfully but that basically hides any lag when playing on Vita.

Hah, I'm the opposite. I could never get into Fallout. I enjoyed what I played of 3 but honestly nothing from what I've seen in 4 appeals to me. It's a shame because I really want to like it! My partner is a huge fan.

If you didn't like the original you won't like this. It's still the same game, I haven't even seen any gameplay changes. Maybe there are some but for me it just looks like the PC version on very high settings.
Have you tried Fallout New Vegas? For me it is the best of the modern series of Fallout games.
[doublepost=1479527698][/doublepost]
For you guys playing what character builds are you going for?

My first couple times playing through years ago I always went for a strictly warrior character generally an imperial or orc. Then I would just run straight into battle clobbering everyone with a massive sword or axe. If that didnt work I would just do it again with slight variations until it did.

This time around I went dark elf and using destructive magic. I'm finding this MUCH more difficult because my skill points are MUCH more valuable since I need to spread them across many things that are useful, destructive magic, light armor, restoration, etc etc plus things I just want like lock picking.

Unlike Fallout 4 having a level cap adds a new dynamic to the game. I like the challenge but the more casual play style of Fallout 4 is appealing too. I don't like wondering if I wasted a skill point or invested it properly.

The very first time (original release) I did battle mage as that feels the most effective. It was ok but it just didn't feel great. My favorite all these years was a character of "Conan" style. Basically pure fighter, no magic for anything, including healing. All my "quick" healing was with cooked food etc. Much harder but also fun.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The bugs are driving me insane. I just ran into another one on a main quest (forsworn conspiracy) and can't complete it, auto saves and quick saves don't go far enough back and my manual save is too far back. And without console commands it's done.

So frustrating.

I can not understand why they wouldn't at least attempt fixing known bugs (the unofficial patch has been around forever which specifically addresses this bug over 3 years ago). It's one thing to releasing a game with bugs, it's another to re release a game with known bugs....especially at full retail.

I'm going to try to manually complete the mission somehow. I know my character should go to jail. So I might try to force the issue by committing some crimes. OR just barge into jail and see if I can kill the person I'm suppose to kill in the end anyway.

This might be more fun....

Edit : impossible on a console :( I require a key (gate can't be picked) that no one carries on them unless the quest is active.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The bugs are driving me insane. I just ran into another one on a main quest (forsworn conspiracy) and can't complete it, auto saves and quick saves don't go far enough back and my manual save is too far back. And without console commands it's done.

So frustrating.

I can not understand why they wouldn't at least attempt fixing known bugs (the unofficial patch has been around forever which specifically addresses this bug over 3 years ago). It's one thing to releasing a game with bugs, it's another to re release a game with known bugs....especially at full retail.

I'm going to try to manually complete the mission somehow. I know my character should go to jail. So I might try to force the issue by committing some crimes. OR just barge into jail and see if I can kill the person I'm suppose to kill in the end anyway.

This might be more fun....

Edit : impossible on a console :( I require a key (gate can't be picked) that no one carries on them unless the quest is active.
Eep, that's worrying! How do I avoid this? Bearing in mind I'm very very early into the game. Is there a mission name I should look out for or get to it with a specific item?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Eep, that's worrying! How do I avoid this? Bearing in mind I'm very very early into the game. Is there a mission name I should look out for or get to it with a specific item?

Join the imperial legion or stormcloaks prior to the Forsworn Conspiracy.

The issue is the guard that arrest you is randomly generated. There is a minute chance that it could be the general that wants you to join the legion. If it is then all he wants to do is talk to you about that not the quest at hand.

Reactions: 0098386

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Skyrim is one of my favorite games ever made, so I happily purchased it (again). Honestly, I wasn't sold on the graphics until I saw it myself on my own TV. They're a pretty nice upgrade. Shouldn't be anything too new if you've played Fallout 4, which runs the same engine as Skyrim: SE. But still--worth the buy if you're planning on putting some time into it. I really enjoyed the main story, personally. You should finish it!
[doublepost=1479845633][/doublepost]
If you want to do this kind of thing, go back more than 1 generation. Bethesda, your fans have clamored for a Morrowind remaster for YEARS. Remake THAT, not your most recent Elder Scrolls game!
If Bethesda did a remake of Morrowind, I think the hardcore fans that have been around since those days would go nuts. That would be awesome.

Thing is, so many folks came into the fold with Oblivion and Skyrim and never played Morrowind. Morrowind is so much more difficult than newer TES games that I'm not sure how their fanbase would react. I can see it now, "You're telling me that you CAN'T fast travel?!"
[doublepost=1479845696][/doublepost]
Honestly, I think if you dropped me off in Skyrim, I could find my way around blindfolded. :)
no lollygaggin'

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Funny, even when I read that, I heard it in my mind in the voice of the guard...

Heck, I even turn it on and play it just to go to the northern shores, just to hear the wind and see the snow fly (and to kill some Frost Trolls).
I totally feel you. Sometimes I just enjoy the atmosphere and the soundtrack of Skyrim, with no real quest in mind. I don't mind just wandering around.

This track right here gets me every time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I totally feel you. Sometimes I just enjoy the atmosphere and the soundtrack of Skyrim, with no real quest in mind. I don't mind just wandering around.

This track right here gets me every time.

A long time ago I made a couple ringtones for friends of mine that also played Skyrim if you guys are interested. lol

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85412489/Skyrim OST - Battle Theme #5 FLAC QUALITY.m4r

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85412489/skyrim.m4r

I especially like the first one, its the epic part of a boss battle. If I wasnt so lazy now that I know how to edit audio I should do a better job, fade out and such.

EDIT: Couple years ago I was at the bank and my phone rang (first ring tone) and a guy behind me in line (probably early 40's) said "What is it? Dragons?" sounding exactly like an imperial guard. I nearly died.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
A long time ago I made a couple ringtones for friends of mine that also played Skyrim if you guys are interested. lol

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85412489/Skyrim OST - Battle Theme #5 FLAC QUALITY.m4r

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85412489/skyrim.m4r

I especially like the first one, its the epic part of a boss battle. If I wasnt so lazy now that I know how to edit audio I should do a better job, fade out and such.

EDIT: Couple years ago I was at the bank and my phone rang (first ring tone) and a guy behind me in line (probably early 40's) said "What is it? Dragons?" sounding exactly like an imperial guard. I nearly died.
Those ringtones are so cool! Thanks so much for sharing them. :)

LOVE the story about the guy behind you at the bank!! What a bro. I love when I meet fellow Elder Scrolls players in public. It always seems like such a surprise when I suppose it shouldn't be--how many millions of copies did Skyrim sell? A lot, I know.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I finally got my hands on Skyrim and I'm slowly playing my way through it. I've made some mistakes and but overall things seem to be progressing fairly decently. I may start googling and seeing how to build out a good character

It started off slow, and I was unsure if it would grab me, but the game is slowly sucking me in. I'm not a huge a fantasy type of person, so the magic and other stuff doesn't usually get me going but so far the game play has been good, the graphics excellent and the story line immersive.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I kinda stopped playing this. I keep meaning to get back to it but other 'full fat' games have pulled me in like Pokemon Sun and Doom (on arcade mode). Currently 14 hours in and I'm still only on the 4th main mission.

Hah! Love it when stuff like that happens! I keep a copy of the MGS alert sound on my phone because on any train you're bound to hear it go off. So I like to turn my phone up loud and play my copy too. One time we had 3 people doing it and a bunch of others laughing their heads off!

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So I finally got my hands on Skyrim and I'm slowly playing my way through it. I've made some mistakes and but overall things seem to be progressing fairly decently. I may start googling and seeing how to build out a good character

It started off slow, and I was unsure if it would grab me, but the game is slowly sucking me in. I'm not a huge a fantasy type of person, so the magic and other stuff doesn't usually get me going but so far the game play has been good, the graphics excellent and the story line immersive.

You can't really build a character incorrectly it's more of optimizing your perks.

Just do what you feel like doing. Maybe watch some YouTube videos to see what is possible and go from there.

I really like to reanimate the dead and then blast a fury spell on the enemies and just stand back and watch them annihilate themselves.

I also use a companion as cannon fodder. Obviously one that can't be killed. I'm currently using Seranna (sp?) (the vampire) and she uses a reanimate dead spell and it's hilarious to watch her reanimate a dead chicken to fight with us.

Only thing I would keep in mind is the armor cap is 587 which you can get with light armor. So unless you prefer the look or there is a very specific perk you want I wouldn't invest too heavily into heavy armor.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I also use a companion as cannon fodder.
That's what I found useful as well. Unlike fallout 4, where I find going at it alone was more beneficial, Skyrim works a bit better with a companion, mostly to let them take the arrows and soften up the enemy.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Not to mention a Skyrim follower/companion makes a great pack mule ;)

"I am sworn to carry your burdens."

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's what I found useful as well. Unlike fallout 4, where I find going at it alone was more beneficial, Skyrim works a bit better with a companion, mostly to let them take the arrows and soften up the enemy.

I played Fallout with a companion (mostly Nick) through the entire game.

While I didn't find them to be the best for battle I really enjoyed their banter and conversation based on current mission. Plus they can have very specific purposes on certain missions like Nick in Far Harbor with Dima.

I feel Skyrim really lacks that but understandably due to the age of the game. Walking out of dungeon after battling in it for 2 hours and Lydia saying "I wonder what's in that cave?" while hilarious is immersion breaking.

I think Fallout really shows how old Skyrim is.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I played Fallout with a companion (mostly Nick) through the entire game.
I found the lone wonderer perk to be give me more then what the companion provided. In a number of occasions the companion gave away my location or got in my way more often then naught.

One thing I found in Skyrim, is I need to pull back from the main quest line so I can build up my character further. I stumbled upon the Dragonborn DLC quest and I can't really proceed in that, as I keep dying early on fighting the flaming monster that comes down from the sky. Luckily I have save prior to that, so I'll do some side quests and build up my character to withstand more damage and inflict more damage.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

Don't worry too much about "how to build a good character," in Skyrim, there really aren't any negative consequences to skills (other than diversifying *too much*). I remember that Oblivion had some nasty penalties for picking the wrong skill sets...blah, horrible. But Skyrim did away with all that.

My recommendation: pick a fighting style and character type, and build your skills focusing on that. As you get into the game, decide how much other stuff (like alchemy, crafting, etc.) you want to do. There are a lot of choices, but I would not diversify too much, too soon.
[doublepost=1481125620][/doublepost]
I kinda stopped playing this. I keep meaning to get back to it but other 'full fat' games have pulled me in like Pokemon Sun and Doom (on arcade mode). Currently 14 hours in and I'm still only on the 4th main mission.

Funny, the same thing has happened to me. With the holidays, work being hectic, and, ahem, a healthy dose of Star Citizen (with a side of Yoshi's Woolly World) I haven't been spending as much time as I thought I would be in Skyrim.

Maybe after the holidays...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My recommendation: pick a fighting style and character type, and build your skills focusing on that. As you get into the game, decide how much other stuff (like alchemy, crafting, etc.) you want to do. There are a lot of choices, but I would not diversify too much, too soon.
Agreed, I'm focusing on my two handed weapons, and sneaking.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I found the lone wonderer perk to be give me more then what the companion provided. In a number of occasions the companion gave away my location or got in my way more often then naught.

One thing I found in Skyrim, is I need to pull back from the main quest line so I can build up my character further. I stumbled upon the Dragonborn DLC quest and I can't really proceed in that, as I keep dying early on fighting the flaming monster that comes down from the sky. Luckily I have save prior to that, so I'll do some side quests and build up my character to withstand more damage and inflict more damage.

The absolute WORST thing with companions in Skyrim is getting in my damn way especially if I'm trying to retreat from an enemy that's too powerful.

Drives me nuts when they are trying to attack and I'm trying to retreat but they are blocking a narrow corridor. Serana will exasperate the problem by reanimating the dead then I'm trying to get passed a conga line to get away.

Really makes me appreciate Fallout the more I think about it.

You may want to try lowering the difficulty until you are comfortable with a character build. Sometimes just a straight warrior tank build can be the best since it doesn't require as much strategy. I'm playing a mage type build and on a medium difficulty whereas I played through on legendary with before with a warrior/archer build before. There is no way I could do that with my current build.

Highly recommend the atronach stone for most builds too. 50% chance of absorbing magicka is a nice perk whether you are a magic user or not.

Edit: to clarify its 50% chance you'll have 100% magicka absorption. I believe that works on anything that's magic including fire from dragons and such.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
D'oh, I think I have that set too high.

It's something I find hit or miss in Skyrim but the metric I use is Dragon Priest are almost impossible to beat. I want to strategize how to beat them and be a relatively tough battle where I need to use everything at my disposal, scrolls, food, potions, all schools of magic, etc.

If you can beat the Ebony Warrior at all then it's set too low. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.