Slight Scratch on New 4S screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodayoda, Oct 24, 2011.

1. yodayoda macrumors regular

Anyone with insight on this hypothetical?

Say you have Applecare+, get a small scratch on the screen with no effect on the actual usage of the phone...And you want to replace it? Will Apple still replace the phone or you have to go throw it against the wall before you bring it in? Would seem kind of stupid, but just curious to what extent the coverage works...Says "2 accidental damages" but for some people who might want to replace a phone with a hairline scratch on the screen is that possible?

2. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Why not use a screen protector in the first place?

3. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

not the point lol

----------

more curious as to how AppleCare+ works if the phone has to be broken or u can just pay the 49 bucks and get a new one even if its a small scratch

4. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I don't think AppleCare covers accidental damage, including scratches.

I'll tell you a funny story I encountered. Once I dropped my iPad 2 on the floor and it had a small scratch on the back. This was my 3rd replacement iPad since the backlight bleeding issue. I went in store to get the iPad replaced so that they can give me a new one out of the box which will be scratch free. But what I told to one of the genius in the store was that the screen had backlight bleeding (which was true - only a tiny bit on the edge). As he didn't really examine the device and the back he just replaced it purely on the purpose of backlight bleeding issue.

As of this I got a new iPad 2 free of scratches but there is still a little bit bleeding on the screen but i can't be bothered to get another replacement as its just a game of pure luck.

I guess you gotta ask Apple about whether they replace phones for that particular issue.

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

True, but Applecare+ does ... only available in the US though.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

This is a very good question. I've asked Squaretrade this question, and they told me the phone has to be broken. I've asked Worth Ave Group, and they said, they would replace it even if it's a hairline scratch.

I'm not sure what the policy on AppleCare+ is. Still wrestling with whether or not I should get it.

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

AppleCare doesn't but this is about AppleCare+ which does, and it certainly covers accidental damage as that's the whole point. OP, it would likely depend on how bad th "scratch" is and the mood of the employee. If it's a gouge that affects usability it probably would. If it's a slight scratch that is hardly noticeable probably not. I would be hesitant to use one of my two replacements on a slight scratch.

8. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

My bad, how much do you pay for AppleCare+? It's certainly not available in the UK right because I've never heard of it :s

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

$99 for 2 years + $49 for each accidental damage claim (you get 2).

10. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

That's actually very good value. My iPhone's insured third party they cover accidental damage but I'm not sure of scratches though.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the answer to the op's question is no. from the terms and conditions:

12. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

Slight Scratch on New 4S screen

I have AppleCare+ but I don't want to pay 50 dollars for a new one as the scratch is barely noticeable but I do want a replacement. Is there any method that works at the genius bar to get them to replace it, can i just say i want an exchange? Maybe say I'm having issues with battery life or freezing and they will just replace it? Thoughts?

13. MaxximusPrime macrumors newbie

Buy a new phone. Seriously. It is people like you that make it difficult for people who genuinely need exchanges for actual problems. You didn't protect your phone and the scratched screen is your problem. Don't try and lie to get them to replace the phone just because you screwed up.

People like you make me hate living on this planet.

14. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

Why would i have to buy a new phone if I have applecare+

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just live with it. It's a phone. Yes, I said it; a phone.
    You're likely to get more scratches anyways. There's no point wasting one of your replacements and $50 on a scratch.

Use it when you really need it. Such as, your phone getting destroyed in a pool.

If you really want a replacement though, then go for it. No one is stopping you. Just be prepared to shell $50.

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Did YOU scratch the iPhone or did it COME like that?

17. Will69 macrumors regular

18. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just going to say my battery life is bad and my phone is randomly restarting...The scratch isn't even noticeable but I'd rather have a fresh one...Should do the trick

----------

How can a phone come scratched? Even if it did, how would Apple actually believe that a phone came scratched and how would they know? Phones don't come scratched lol especially on the screen

19. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

You're despicable if you're seriously going to play the system like that.

20. stillmatic macrumors member

Scumbag, You Are.

21. megapopular macrumors 6502a

just pitiful...

that you're gonna use some lame excuse to try to get out of using your AppleCare+. Please buy a screen protector, will ya? And word on the street is that now that AppleCare+ is out that the geniuses will be much less likely to give "freebie" returns. I hope they see your AppleCare+ and make you pay. Your fault you let your phone get scratched... I wouldn't be so down on you except that you came to the forum asking for the most surefire way to get a replacement phone when your phone is fine, save for the scratch that you got on it.

22. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

You are a terrible person. You scratched your own screen. Learn to take care of things you buy and stop trying to trick the system. You don't deserve a new phone.

23. sweetbrat, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You're ridiculous. Did you really come here thinking that people would just say, "Sure, go ahead and lie to them." I wish I knew which store you were going to go to so I could call and warn them. It's people like you that make things a pain in the a** for people that actually need to exchange their phones. You were too cheap to invest in a $5 screen protector, so now you want to scam Apple. Nice.

On the other hand...go for it. Hopefully the Genius won't just take your word for it and will plug your phone, check the diagnostics and see that you're lying. Maybe they can even put a note in your records about it and give you a hard time the next time you go in for a replacement.
    ________

Oh wait, you're the same person that has "misaligned" numbers on your battery percentage. Then you had another thread asking if Applecare+ would cover a scratch, and you apparently didn't like the answers you got there so you started this thread. Seriously, are you just looking for any reason to take your phone back???

24. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Absolutely despicable (nicest way I can put it)

25. MaxximusPrime macrumors newbie