Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
No optical drive?

I'm a videographer whose clients almost always request a DVD of a video.

I also have a large collection of CDs I'd like to import into iTunes.

No optical drive will make both these points a problem.

Apple gets too far ahead of itself for the sake of a slim design.

You'll always be able to connect an external drive for these uses.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
okay

honestly, I'm okay with this not being an "AIR" form factor. thinner, a BIT lighter would be nice, but for all the ports one WANTS to have in a MBP, and battery size, and hopefully, a 9MM HDD slot in addition to an SSD, the engineering to get THAT type of spec into an AIR would be difficult. I'd like to see user SSD access, so that over time one could upgrade easily and oneself, so use a more standard form factor and not the proprietary MBA version.

Also, I'd like better resolution (pixel density, but not really just more pixels) for readability and eye strain reduction, and that too might require a bit more form factor in a 15" size.

Aragorn234

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I think the removal of the Optical drive is a given.
I think however there will be an external solution that can be added. Then you can go an add an external Blu Ray drive and have huge long term storage capacity and still rip andburndiscs asrequired

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
No optical drive?

The question is, do you need an optical drive with you when you're out at a customer? Or will an external optical drive when you're not out work for you?

For instance right now, I would absolutely want an optical drive in an iMac. But for a laptop, I'm not sure anymore if I need an optical drive on the road.

And as for the people who say to carry the external optical drive with you when you need it... It adds the weight right back in and requires you to find a spot to set it up when you need it.
I think I've used my optical drive maybe twice in the last 2 years. I'd be fine with having it removed.
Remember people differ in what they need.

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I used the optical drive on my MBP. Not saying others don't need it...but for me...there's no need anymore.
It's nice to see other people who realize that people use computers differently from each other and therefore have different needs.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I think the removal of the Optical drive is a given.
I think however there will be an external solution that can be added. Then you can go an add an external Blu Ray drive and have huge long term storage capacity and still rip andburndiscs asrequired

They already offer an external SuperDrive. If you want blu ray, you'll probably have to go third party.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
No optical drive?

You could just get an external DVD burner via USB which will work just fine. For home/office use it will work perfectly fine. On the go you may have issues, which will suck.

I think most of us rarely use optical media now though.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Its BS because if what I've bolded in your comment is true than every LCD and CRT I've ever had in the last 15 years has been 'Retina Display' because I can't see a single pixel past the 40+ cm I sit behind my monitors.

But now you have people asking for a 'Retina Display' in LCD screens when by your logic it would mean that the pixels are large enough to see on monitors.

Thats exactly whats wrong with the term, its loose marketing horsecrap from Apple thats only generated ignorance from consumers. Until theres a real need for a 'Retina Display' LCD screen, its not coming to OS X even if support for it is available. The cons *today* outweigh the pros. This is bound to change eventually, but for now its not going to happen.

So you don't like the term because some people don't understand it properly?

Yeah, we don't need higher res TVs and some of our computer monitors are already retina displays. That doesn't invalidate the term - it proves the point.

And no - it isn't by my logic that pixels are large enough to see on TVs. It's the logic of those who don't understand what they're talking about. Please don't use the mistakes of others against me.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No optical drive?

I disagree.

A portable device should not have an optical drive. I care more about the portability of my portable device than having all the bells and whistles on it. If you need an optical drive, either carry an external one with you or get a desktop, which should always have optical drives, since size and portability are not an issue for a fixed device.

The world is changing. Your clients should start getting used to downloading the videos from the web. Maybe it's about a year early for this, but this will become the norm soon. Apple is just ahead of the curve.

Copying CDs? Are you doing this on the go? Just get an external optical drive and leave it at home.

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
No optical drive?

Based on trends, I would argue that they're making these machines for mobile professionals. For most of this demographic, an ODD is a rarely-used peripheral at best. Even then, most uses requiring an ODD can be handled at a desk, which would support an external peripheral for handling such tasks.

It's not that your needs aren't genuine or relevant, just that they fall into the minority among the group(s) towards whom Apple is marketing.

That being said, my wishlist includes larger battery and third-party external GPU support via thunderbolt. Maybe BTO bumps to 1680x1050 on the 13", 1920x1080 on the 15", and 2560x1600 on the 17", but that's starting to get really small even for young eyes.

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
I would rather have this instead of "new iPad", I desired the following

1. Liquid metal case rumor last year - thinner pro body
2. Ivy Bridge processor with NVidia GPU.
3. Hybrid SSD and Hard disk - so can have a lot of storage
4. 15in model with high resolution screen
5. User expandable memory - up to min of 8G.
6. Higher resolution screen - for 15 in 2560x1600 is possible

I love and currently using my MacBook Air - but this would be worth the upgrade.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
There is actually a benefit to losing the optical drive aside from slimming the hardware down. Apple's optical drives usually have such poor speeds for reading/writing (as well as the noise factor) that paying £20 for an external model, which easily out performs original, is an obvious move for those that still use discs now and again. I'm a music producer myself, but even I can see that it makes more sense to save space and just plug a drive in when it's actually needed.

I think we'll also see SSD drives in the 13" and 15" models simply because of the space. If the rumours are true, the 17" model could well keep its optical drive and thus also retain a normal hard drive that can offer high capacities at a fraction of the SSD prices today.

Can't see the 'Retina' displays making it for this revision though, especially if SSD is going to be implemented. Apple will likely just make the Hi-Res screen offer a standard.

As for the casing, the tapered/teardrop design seems to be a given, but I don't buy any of this talk about liquid metal/carbon fibre...

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Its BS because if what I've bolded in your comment is true than every LCD and CRT I've ever had in the last 15 years has been 'Retina Display' because I can't see a single pixel past the 40+ cm I sit behind my monitors.

Either you have had very good LCDs and CRTs, or you have poor eyesight.
(which is not only sarcasm; the definition for "retina display" counts on 20/20 eyesight)

Thats exactly whats wrong with the term, its loose marketing horsecrap from Apple thats only generated ignorance from consumers.

You have already been provided with the definition. I hope you could see it. ;P

You don't like the definition, or the concept, or how it sounds, or how it doesn't rhyme with rhubarb? OK. But saying that it is "loose marketing" is simply not true.

Until theres a real need for a 'Retina Display' LCD screen, its not coming to OS X even if support for it is available.

I'd love to have a crystal ball like yours.

griffd

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Theres no math behind it, its purely a marketing term.

Obviously you did not watch the keynote address - they explained the math and even showed the trigonometric formula they used.

But of course it's marketing! It's a whole lot easier to say than "tan(a/2) = s/2d". Basically it just means that if you have 20/20 vision, you can't differentiate the pixels from a normal viewing distance.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Both of those have lower ppi then the 11" MacBook Air... None of them are Retina at normal viewing distance with their sub 135 ppi...

Be that as it may, they are hi enough res, at the distance commonly used (which is further away than an iPad or iPhone - like double the distance an iPad is used at) to be CLOSE to retina.

I have a retina display 4s, and a hires MBP 15.

The MBP in general use doesn't look significantly worse than the 4s. Its not QUITE as crisp, sure - but it isn't far off at all.

If we're going to get into a PPI pissing contest, i had a Dell E6500 (15" mbp size) laptop 3 years ago with 1920x1200 hires screen option. And that would be retina class. It was nice, sure - but it wasn't a game changing revolution or anything.

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I hope this is true.

My current MBP (2010 13in) I feel is a bit too bulky for me. If it was thinner and lighter, I would take it with me more. I have a case and it just adds more weight and bulk.

I would get the Air but it's not as powerful.

Luckily I have 2 people who want to buy my MBP so if this newer one comes out soon, I won't have a hard time getting rid of the one I have now.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
so of ivy bridge isn't out yet, and these puppies are already in production, what processor is in them? quad I7s ?

ps: please let it house 32gig of RAM.

best,
SvK

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Kepler GPU

So I'm guessing there is no chance the new MBPs will have Nvidia Kepler GPUs then?

When are mobile Keplers supposed to become available?

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
There will be only slim MacBookPro as the news said.

No more optical drives.

You dont need powerful GPU in a laptop. If you are a gamer, you play with iOS or Xbox perhaps even AppleTV will have some games.

Laptops are for adults. Not for gaming children.

Give a PS3 a chance sometime, fun stuff.

But if one plans on keeping a laptop for years (mine is more than 5 years old), getting a good graphics card is important as years from now a junky one will severely limit your computers performance. Ports and graphics seem to be the weak points in older machines, no?

Anyways, I will either buy a 2012 15inch or a late-2011 refurb, depending on the reviews and price since I need a new computer this year.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Maybe they are producing parts prior to assembly. Maybe they have pre-release intel CPUs, like they got with thunderbolt.

Ivy bridge engineering samples have likely been out for a while now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.