SlingPlayer HD Mac and SlingPlayer iPhone Demoed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Sling Media is at Macworld demonstrating a couple of new products for Slingbox owners. The Slingbox is a set top box that allows you to stream video from your home television over the internet to any supported device (Mac, PC, Mobile Phone).

For Mac users, the company was demonstrating a prototype of SlingPlayer for Mac HD which finally allows Slingbox PRO-HD owners to stream HD content to their Mac. The HD player is a web-based system that allows easy access to your Slingbox. The release version is expected later in Q1 and will be available through Sling.com.

An even more anticipated product has been Sling Media's SlingPlayer for iPhone. Versions of this application have been demoed for months, but there has been little word on when an official App Store release was expected. This app will allow Slingbox owners to stream their home television to their iPhone over Wi-Fi, 3G and even EDGE. Sling Media was demonstrating an early version of the SlingPlayer for iPhone on the show floor. TheiPhoneBlog posted this detailed video demonstrating the product:

Visit Article for Video: SlingPlayer HD Mac and SlingPlayer iPhone Demoed

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I apologize in advance for not doing research but what are the odds we'll be able to output the video to a television with the component/composite cables?

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
SlingPlayer for iPhone will be submitted to the App Store in March of this year. Sling Media representatives expect the application to be approved by Apple. Pricing has not yet been set.
I have a hard time accepting this. While I'd be the first person to get the iPhone SlingPlayer app I'm guessing Apple would not allow a competitor to come in and eat a piece of their media/content pie. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I have a hard time accepting this. While I'd be the first person to get the iPhone SlingPlayer app I'm guessing Apple would not allow a competitor to come in and eat a piece of their media/content pie. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.
a competitor to what? sony?

the only thing i could see stopping this how it is now, is only allowing it over Wifi or maybe 3G

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I agree. And given Apple has rejected apps for using "too much network bandwidth" when they were audio only, the chances of them allowing it over 3G seem remote to me.

Phazer

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Well, Apple did allow Orb which is (in a way) a competitor to SlingPlayer. So, why wouldn't they allow SlingPlayer then?

Btw, Orb can be used in wifi, 3G and EDGE as well. So, cell network issues shouldn't be an issue either.

w00master

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2006
Long Island, NY
I agree. And given Apple has rejected apps for using "too much network bandwidth" when they were audio only, the chances of them allowing it over 3G seem remote to me.

Phazer
You don't think SlingMedia has been in contact with Apple about this? I find it extremely hard to believe they spent all the time developing the application and showcasing it with no idea whether it will be accepted or not.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Why did it seem to take forever for the video to start?

If it sucks that bad over Wi-Fi, I hate to see it over EDGE!

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Come 'on

What the heck is the delay?!?! This should have been out months ago...the iPhone version is going to kill all other mobile versions. They need to hurry up and get this thing finished! :)

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Wait wait. Let me get this straight.

Does this mean that if I have HBO at home + Slingbox + Slingiphone app + iPhone , then that ='s "I Can watch HBO from anywhere my phone gets 3G reception?"
:confused:

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Wait wait. Let me get this straight.

Does this mean that if I have HBO at home + Slingbox + Slingiphone app + iPhone , then that ='s "I Can watch HBO from anywhere my phone gets 3G reception?"
:confused:
That's the hope.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I never watch TV live anymore--no ads for me! I prefer time-shifting via EyeTV, so I can watch whenever I want. And EyeTV already syncs shows to my iPhone. (I wish there was an EyeTV remote control app though.)

But if I couldn't accept delayed viewing (after my next iPhone sync), SlingBox sounds good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.