Slow boot

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by darkweather, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Jerezanito macrumors member

Jerezanito

can you disable trim?

2. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Again, disabling trim is not a good solution. Trim is important to the efficiency and life of your ssd.

In my opinion, if disabling trim is the only option ... there is not option.

3. gatd macrumors member

4. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

5. robeddie, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

robeddie Suspended

robeddie

I disabled SIP as well as gatekeeper. Didn't do a thing. Only when I disable trim do boot times return to a normal 20 secs (from about a minute). Since I don't want to disable trim, I'm stuck with slow boot times until apple fixes it in the .3 or .4 release (and I think that's probably being optimistic).

But since SIP was the secret to your slow boot times, and trim is the cause of mine, it's anyone's guess what the hell is actually going on here.

6. Jerezanito macrumors member

Jerezanito

excuse me what is SIP?

7. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

8. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

9. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Nope.

10. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I respectfully disagree. I've been using all sorts of multiple SSD's in various forms for many years now and have never enabled trim and have never had any issues with slow ssd's or data loss or anything. In that same time many regular HDD's have failed. Personally I think trim is overrated. But to each their own.

11. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

On a side note, (thanks to SSL who can't be bothered updating their MADI driver) I've been running with SIP disabled for years now. I repair my permissions every once in while just because, and it's smooth sailing.

12. MAlexB macrumors newbie

MAlexB

5 seconds from chime to white Apple logo and 25 seconds more to the log-in screen, so I‘m happy!

13. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Yeah...It's no big deal but I'm still slightly annoyed that my 2006 cMP boots twice faster than my mid-2012 :p

14. rheid macrumors newbie

rheid

--- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2017 ---
    Anyone tested with new BETA macOS 10.13.2 Beta 1? Performance is better?

How do disable trim on boot time?

15. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Didn't fix it for me either. So the wait for 10.13.2 begins :(

16. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

You don’t. It’s either enabled or disabled. Not sure how it works with Apple SSDs, but with 3rd party disks type this in your terminal: sudo trimforce disable

...and restart.

17. Fishrrman, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I concur with the two posters a little ways above regarding both TRIM and SIP.

I -routinely- disable SIP on all my Macs.
    The Mac OS ran fine -before- Apple came up with the concept of SIP, and I've had no problems insofar as the "protection" business is concerned.

I've been booting and running my Mac off USB3 for nearly 5 years.
    TRIM has NEVER arisen as an issue.
    Agreed with the poster who said its importance is overrated.

Possible workaround for High Sierra vs. TRIM:
    - Normally, leave TRIM off
    - Occasionally, boot from another source (perhaps the recovery partition), and run Disk Utility's repair disk function on your boot volume. When DU runs, it should automatically "TRIM unused blocks".
    - This will get the boot drive "back into shape" insofar as TRIM matters
    - When done, just reboot normally (with TRIM off).
    Once every two weeks should work...

Request:
    If there is someone running with TRIM disabled, could you try booting externally, running DU's repair disk function, and observing as to whether it actually does "TRIM unused blocks"... or not... and report back here?

18. Pennypacker83 macrumors newbie

No. But you get 70 new emojis guaranteed to put a smile on your face again.

19. pjny macrumors 6502a

Is disabling TRIM OK till an update is out? IT WORKED FOR ME.

My 2015 12" 1.3ghz Macbook 256 gb ssd was basically unusable after High Sierra especially with 10.13.1

I was getting 70mb/s read speed on SSD. Turned off TRIM and its now back to 300 mb/s write and about 470mb/s read.

startup used to take 1-3 minutes and shutdown was same.

Now it shuts down in 3-5 seconds. Bootup is also a lot faster but IIRC not as fast as in Sierra.

This is after a very methodical clean install. I had originally just did an update from Sierra but then noticed computer was really slow so I thought a clean install would help.

The strange thing with this update is the SERVICE BATTERY issue I had in Sierra went away. Battery is now listed as normal. I had tried many things to fix the Service Battery warning.

20. sinbad21 macrumors newbie

sinbad21

I have exactly the same thing with also a mbp mid 2012.

21. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

pjny wrote:
    "Is disabling TRIM OK till an update is out? IT WORKED FOR ME."

Could you review what I wrote in post 167 above, about using Disk Utility?

I was wondering (since you have TRIM turned off) if you would run DU, and then run the "repair disk" function, and observe the report and see if it puts up "Trimming unused blocks" ??

And get back to us?

22. EugW macrumors 68020

EugW

Lack of TRIM was a big problem for my external FireWire drive - Samsung 850 EVO. It would slow down VERY quickly. Speeds would drop to below HD random speeds. Literally less than 1 MB/s. Absolutely horrible.

I have no problem running without SIP though. I do that for both my unsupported High Sierra Macs. I have SIP on for my three supported High Sierra Macs though. No problems with boot times on any of those five Macs. Well, booting to the Recovery Partition can take a long time but that’s no big deal. The main boot partitions on all 5 machines all are fine speed wise.

23. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

On Late 2012 iMac 8 GB RAM 1 TB Rotational HD and Erase and Clean install 10.13.1 and also getting 2/3 load, black screen for 1 to 3 secs and then continues to load to Login screen. Have verified Filesystem Repair Logs and finding the following which is adding some time to boot up. Otherwise, system is working fine

fsck_hfs started at Sun Nov 5 10:17:33 2017

** /dev/rdisk0s2 (NO WRITE)

** Root file system

Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-407.1.3).

fsck_hfs completed at Sun Nov 5 10:17:33 2017

/dev/rdisk0s2: fsck_hfs started at Sun Nov 5 10:18:06 2017

/dev/rdisk0s2: /dev/rdisk0s2: ERROR: volume / is mounted with write access. Re-run with (-l) to freeze volume.

/dev/rdisk0s2: fsck_hfs completed at Sun Nov 5 10:18:06 2017

24. Vriesdiep macrumors newbie

Vriesdiep

I can confirm that the boot time is awful long on my Mac Pro from mid 2012 en 24 Gb memory with a 500 Gb SSD. Before is was awful fast!

25. zenith3000 macrumors newbie

... exact same problem here - tried a lot - however, without any success ... waiting for 10.13.X